Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 921 to 940 of 1002

Thread: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

  1. #921
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,485

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Oh they wonít, itís CONCACAF. And the referee will skate through unharmed because heís young and he did what the powers that be ask for. And heís likely to go to the next World Cup because he does that and heís from a country with a slim chance of ever qualifying.

    The clock is ticking on this stuff from CONCACAF though, it just depends on how long they can put off VAR.
    Im assuming CONCACAF doesn't have it yet because while the USA/Mexico/Canada could do it tomorrow, the rest would struggle to pay for it?

  2. #922
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    28,943

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    To me, it is boring, for the most part. "gay" or for "f*ots?" Not in my vocabulary. I do reference "field fairies," but that is not in reference to their sexuality, it's in direct reference to diving
    ďI call him a n***er. But thatís not a reference to his race, itís because reasons.Ē

    You donít get to redefine a word because you think it means something else. Field fairy is a direct reference to sexuality and you should stop saying it. Else you be confused with a bigot...

  3. #923
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,152
    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Im assuming CONCACAF doesn't have it yet because while the USA/Mexico/Canada could do it tomorrow, the rest would struggle to pay for it?
    That would be my guess, and I would assume itís an issue in other places like Africa and parts of Asia and Europe as well.

    I think itíll hit a point where they just have to grit their teeth and implement it. Honestly, making it a requirement for teams in League A of the upcoming CONCACAF Nations League would be a perfect place to start (it would also give referees a chance for experience with it).

  4. #924
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    118,433

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    ďI call him a n***er. But thatís not a reference to his race, itís because reasons.Ē

    You donít get to redefine a word because you think it means something else. Field fairy is a direct reference to sexuality and you should stop saying it. Else you be confused with a bigot...
    A fairie is a weakling to me. No sexual context whatsoever. I don't get to redefine a word? The words "gay" and "queer" were redefined, in a bad way, but redefined nonetheless. Why can't a word be redefined to a less offensive definition?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  5. #925
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,485
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    A fairie is a weakling to me. No sexual context whatsoever. I don't get to redefine a word? The words "gay" and "queer" were redefined, in a bad way, but redefined nonetheless. Why can't a word be redefined to a less offensive definition?

  6. #926

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism
    Posts
    66,449

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    A fairie is a weakling to me. No sexual context whatsoever. I don't get to redefine a word? The words "gay" and "queer" were redefined, in a bad way, but redefined nonetheless. Why can't a word be redefined to a less offensive definition?
    That's not how words work.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  7. #927

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism
    Posts
    66,449

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    MLS could give you a $100 and you’d complain about the way it was folded.
    I like this, is it original?

    I prefer EPL too but it's strictly because I like the slightly off-centerness of a different country's traditions. It's exotic, if you can describe failed rust belt towns like Birmingham or Sheffield as "exotic."

    That's just something MLS won't ever have for me. If I was a Brit I'd probably watch MLS.

    As far as the fun of the actual game goes, great soccer is amazing and then the entertainment quality drops off precipitously. I would rather go to work than watch NC$$ soccer. MLS is somewhere in between but for me it is only watchable when I have a rooting interest and then it's still meh. Like I told you I had built up a attempted Fulham fandom but I didn't even bother watching this last brief EPL appearance because even at that highest level when one of the teams sucks it's unwatchable. It's not even funny at that point, like watching bad American football. It's just depressing like watching the Mets.
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-08-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  8. #928
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,535

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Because people like you are impossible to please. MLS could give you a $100 and you’d complain about the way it was folded.
    Ok, then just give up on trying so hard to be something else, and be US Soccer. If you are going to just dismiss the people who you are trying to get, then it's a doomed effort.

    BTW, nice assumption on my MLS view. It's clear that you don't think that casual fans, who watch football sometimes, are worth going after. I had thought otherwise.

    I do appreciate that you have given me, and many others, permission to just avoid soccer all together, opening up my time and money. I can concentrate on waiting for the two World Cup tournaments. And be a fair weathered "fan" that purists like to be so mad about.
    Last edited by alfablue; 07-08-2019 at 06:41 AM.

  9. #929
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,535

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I like this, is it original?

    I prefer EPL too but it's strictly because I like the slightly off-centerness of a different country's traditions. It's exotic, if you can describe failed rust belt towns like Birmingham or Sheffield as "exotic."

    That's just something MLS won't ever have for me. If I was a Brit I'd probably watch MLS.

    As far as the fun of the actual game goes, great soccer is amazing and then the entertainment quality drops off precipitously. I would rather go to work that watch NC$$ soccer. MLS is somewhere in between but for me it is only watchable when I have a rooting interest and then it's still meh. Like I told you I had built up a attempted Fulham fandom but I didn't even bother watching this last brief EPL appearance because even at that highest level when one of the teams sucks it's unwatchable. It's not even funny at that point, like watching bad American football. It's just depressing like watching the Mets.
    Exotic? It's football. Just like La Liga, or the rest of the Euro leagues.

    But it is ENGLISH. It does not try to be something that it's not. Just like all the other football leagues not called MLS.

  10. #930

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism
    Posts
    66,449

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Exotic? It's football.
    No, the football isn't exotic. The bangers and mash are.

    I don't think I get what your complaint about MLS is. It's soccer, too. It's not association soccer -- the Soviet Central Committee model ensures it will never be. But on the pitch it's the same game, just kinda lame like maybe Championship.
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-08-2019 at 06:43 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  11. #931

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    23,688

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Brent last night:


  12. #932

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism
    Posts
    66,449

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  13. #933
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    31,333

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    alfa I don't think US/MLS soccer is trying to be something that, "it isn't". Perhaps a few of the team nicknames are goofy ("Real" for instance) but beyond that a lot of US soccer has roots in European & International lineage even today, a lot of fans of soccer in the US first knew of soccer growing up in Latin/South America, Asia and Europe, or their parents did, and there's a healthy dose of first and second generation immigrants in this country and they're spending time, money and energy on the game. I doubt their interest is going to fade just because the NFL and NBA are as big as they are.

    Secondly you're wrong that soccer has peaked here - especially on the men's side. I hate the stupid argument of (not saying this is coming from you but...), "US soccer fans keep claiming, "We're coming" and it never happens". Before the WC was held here ('94?) soccer was but a blip on the radar and we hardly ever saw players making it onto the best teams in Europe, and often when they did hardly saw playing time. Now we see players repeatedly flourishing in Europe and MLS is not even 25 years old. They started with 10 teams - soon it will be at 26? TV coverage and attendance are expanding - not regressing.

    MLS and soccer for the men are never going to be Top 4 - but I wouldn't put it past being 4a and 4b with the NHL before it's all said and done.

    Jim - I've often heard you criticize the role of NCAA soccer on the men's side but not the women's and you've given great detail already why that is so need to rehash that. But are the powers that be at all aware of the differences themselves and are they actively doing anything to change it? Are the club level teams for the boys ever going to get away from stunting creativity which seems to be at the forefront of why the men are so far behind other international powers? Is it the same at lower levels for women and if so only a matter of time before the US' athletic superiority will no longer be enough to keep them the de facto #1 team year in and year out?

  14. #934
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,327

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    We hear a lot about our forefathers liberating the airports, but often overlooked is the air support provided by the French that was critical to success.

  15. #935
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I like this, is it original?
    Itís from the Magic the Gathering community. People complain about stuff in the game no matter what and it lead to the phrase ďWizards (of the Coast) could put $100 bills in the packs and people would complain about the way theyíre folded.Ē

  16. #936
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    alfa I don't think US/MLS soccer is trying to be something that, "it isn't". Perhaps a few of the team nicknames are goofy ("Real" for instance) but beyond that a lot of US soccer has roots in European & International lineage even today, a lot of fans of soccer in the US first knew of soccer growing up in Latin/South America, Asia and Europe, or their parents did, and there's a healthy dose of first and second generation immigrants in this country and they're spending time, money and energy on the game. I doubt their interest is going to fade just because the NFL and NBA are as big as they are.

    Secondly you're wrong that soccer has peaked here - especially on the men's side. I hate the stupid argument of (not saying this is coming from you but...), "US soccer fans keep claiming, "We're coming" and it never happens". Before the WC was held here ('94?) soccer was but a blip on the radar and we hardly ever saw players making it onto the best teams in Europe, and often when they did hardly saw playing time. Now we see players repeatedly flourishing in Europe and MLS is not even 25 years old. They started with 10 teams - soon it will be at 26? TV coverage and attendance are expanding - not regressing.

    MLS and soccer for the men are never going to be Top 4 - but I wouldn't put it past being 4a and 4b with the NHL before it's all said and done.
    It always amazes me on some level that people in this country, people who like the game, will go out of their way to trash on MLS. The league learned in about its first ten years that nothing will please these people, the goal posts will always move, and they donít try to cater to them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Jim - I've often heard you criticize the role of NCAA soccer on the men's side but not the women's and you've given great detail already why that is so need to rehash that. But are the powers that be at all aware of the differences themselves and are they actively doing anything to change it? Are the club level teams for the boys ever going to get away from stunting creativity which seems to be at the forefront of why the men are so far behind other international powers? Is it the same at lower levels for women and if so only a matter of time before the US' athletic superiority will no longer be enough to keep them the de facto #1 team year in and year out?
    The general consensus is that yes, the soccer powers will surpass the US and an overhaul on the womenís side is definitely needed. Problem is, theyíre winning so thereís no pressure to do so (also the money that would pay for the changes is going to be forced into the pockets of the current stars, but thatís a different discussion). I honestly donít know when that moment will be though, it could happen next World Cup (most of the core players are 30 or older) or it could never happen. I thought it would happen this World Cup and was proven dead wrong.

    As for the menís side, things are improving but itís not gonna happen overnight like most are expecting. The biggest thing is the minor leagues, specifically USL-Championship and USL-1, are getting pretty stable meaning young talent has a place to play in and get some professional experience when theyíre 16-18. Things are improving but it takes time.

  17. #937
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    8,191

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Ok, then just give up on trying so hard to be something else, and be US Soccer.
    What is this even supposed to mean? Don't our teams have 11 guys on the field, play on a regulation pitch, and follow the FIFA rulebook? Sounds like soccer to me - everything else is just marketing.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

  18. #938
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,327

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    It always amazes me on some level that people in this country, people who like the game, will go out of their way to trash on MLS. The league learned in about its first ten years that nothing will please these people, the goal posts will always move
    If the goalposts moved I would watch.

  19. #939
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,851

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Yeah, thatís the biggest takeaway. The US has zero capable forwards at this point.

    (And before someone says Sargent, no heís not good enough)
    Christian Ramirez should have gotten a full run with this team...he's certainly better than Zardes...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  20. #940
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,152

    Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Ok, then just give up on trying so hard to be something else, and be US Soccer. If you are going to just dismiss the people who you are trying to get, then it's a doomed effort.

    BTW, nice assumption on my MLS view. It's clear that you don't think that casual fans, who watch football sometimes, are worth going after. I had thought otherwise.

    I do appreciate that you have given me, and many others, permission to just avoid soccer all together, opening up my time and money. I can concentrate on waiting for the two World Cup tournaments. And be a fair weathered "fan" that purists like to be so mad about.
    You're a Eurosnob. There is nothing that MLS can do that will ever please you enough to watch regularly, so any time spent trying to get you to watch is wasted.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

    Quote Originally Posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •