Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Combined D1/D3 FF Site from a Player's Perspective

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
    139 D3 hockey teams (men's and women's) x 30 per roster (for sake of discussion) = 4170 D3 ice hockey players. Even if there are 500 two sport athletes, I think that's still pretty rare.

At the end of the day, it doesn't affect my point that I would like to think missing early season practices (maybe some games) is acceptable to play for a national title.
    My guess would be that hockey is their first priority behind any other sport. If they're playing DIII hockey, they're playing at a fairly high level and investment, whereas if they're playing another sport such as baseball or lacrosse, they're doing it more for pleasure than for competition, if that makes sense. I'm not trying to take away from DIII baseball, but as a whole, it's pretty low skilled compared to its DI and DII counterparts.

Comment

There would be the issue of those schools who don't have a rink. They'd likely have to guarantee ice usage for the additional week(s), assuming the ice isn't just taken out. Even for schools with their own rinks, there is the cost of keeping the ice down for a longer period, as well as the associated costs of maintaining the facility. With some schools stretched near the limit now, it doesn't make sense. Having the DIII men's and women's finals the same weekend makes sense, stretching out the season to match DI programs does not.
      Go 'Wick!

Comment

Season is long enuff,these kids train during the summer and I believe when they show up for school they start dryland training,captains practice,miss many holidays at home etc etc,all without 18 scholarships if you know what I mean...Season is long enufffffffff….

Comment

Originally posted by d3hockey57 View Post
          My guess would be that hockey is their first priority behind any other sport. If they're playing DIII hockey, they're playing at a fairly high level and investment, whereas if they're playing another sport such as baseball or lacrosse, they're doing it more for pleasure than for competition, if that makes sense. I'm not trying to take away from DIII baseball, but as a whole, it's pretty low skilled compared to its DI and DII counterparts.
          The other advantage hockey has over every other sport is there are only 6 or 7 I believe Division II programs on the men's side. Division III men's and women's hockey is the closest competition wise than any other sport the NCAA offers due to a lack of a basically an entire division not sponsoring the sport. Hockey already has low numbers to begin with so think of it this way.

Norwich, St. Norbert, UW Stevens Point, Oswego, Adrian etc are the 61st best college hockey programs in the entire country (for arguments sake..we're not going down the Division I/III rabbit hole of how good the top teams in D-III are to the bottom level D-1).

In basketball, according to the last RPI rankings these are the 61st-67th best teams in the country.

61 Creighton (19-15) 0.561 12 298 61
          62 Ohio State (20-15) 0.561 7 292 62
          63 St Johns (21-13) 0.560 4 324 63
          64 Vermont (26-7) 0.557 7 182 64
          65 Old Dominion (26-9) 0.557 45 265 65
          66 Clemson (20-14) 0.557 12 212 66
          67 Alabama (18-16) 0.557 27 218 67

and in football

60 BYU, FBS Indep. 7-6 7.0 - 6.0 -- -- -- 2.7
          RK TEAM W-L PROJ W-L WIN OUT% CONF WIN% REM SOS RK FPI
          61 Baylor, Big 12 7-6 7.0 - 6.0 -- 0.0 -- 2.5
          62 Kansas State, Big 12 5-7 5.0 - 7.0 -- 0.0 -- 2.0
          63 Indiana, Big Ten 5-7 5.0 - 7.0 -- 0.0 -- 1.9
          64 Arizona, Pac-12 5-7 5.0 - 7.0 -- 0.0 -- 1.9
          65 Tennessee, SEC 5-7 5.0 - 7.0 -- 0.0 -- 1.2
          66 Temple, American 8-5 8.0 - 5.0 -- 0.0 -- 1.1
          67 FSU, ACC 5-7 5.0 - 7.0 -- 0.0 -- 0.9

Pretty impressive company to keep as the 61st-67th best college hockey teams across all levels.
          Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 04-22-2019, 01:56 PM.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            The other advantage hockey has over every other sport is there are only 6 or 7 I believe Division II programs on the men's side. Division III men's and women's hockey is the closest competition wise than any other sport the NCAA offers due to a lack of a basically an entire division not sponsoring the sport. Hockey already has low numbers to begin with so think of it this way.

Norwich, St. Norbert, UW Stevens Point, Oswego, Adrian etc are the 61st best college hockey programs in the entire country (for arguments sake..we're not going down the Division I/III rabbit hole of how good the top teams in D-III are to the bottom level D-1).

In basketball, according to the last RPI rankings these are the 61st-67th best teams in the country.

61 Creighton (19-15) 0.561 12 298 61
            62 Ohio State (20-15) 0.561 7 292 62
            63 St Johns (21-13) 0.560 4 324 63
            64 Vermont (26-7) 0.557 7 182 64
            65 Old Dominion (26-9) 0.557 45 265 65
            66 Clemson (20-14) 0.557 12 212 66
            67 Alabama (18-16) 0.557 27 218 67

60 BYU, FBS Indep. 7-6 7.0 - 6.0 -- -- -- 2.7
            RK TEAM W-L PROJ W-L WIN OUT% CONF WIN% REM SOS RK FPI
            61 Baylor, Big 12 7-6 7.0 - 6.0 -- 0.0 -- 2.5
            62 Kansas State, Big 12 5-7 5.0 - 7.0 -- 0.0 -- 2.0
            63 Indiana, Big Ten 5-7 5.0 - 7.0 -- 0.0 -- 1.9
            64 Arizona, Pac-12 5-7 5.0 - 7.0 -- 0.0 -- 1.9
            65 Tennessee, SEC 5-7 5.0 - 7.0 -- 0.0 -- 1.2
            66 Temple, American 8-5 8.0 - 5.0 -- 0.0 -- 1.1
            67 FSU, ACC 5-7 5.0 - 7.0 -- 0.0 -- 0.9

Pretty impressive company to keep as the 61st-67th best college hockey teams across all levels.
            Prezde

There's a lot more than that.

The entire WCHA (save Bowling Green) are D-II playups. That's 9.
            In the NCHC, SCSU, UNO, UMD are D-II, CC is D-III
            AHA has AIC and Mercyhurst. RIT is D-III
            HEA has Merrimack, though I think they're transitioning to D1

Plus the NE10 (6) and Post.

That's 22 or so NCAA classified D-II schools that are playing hockey. I think they need 40 to conduct a separate D2 championship should the Power 5 get nasty and make D1 just for D1.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Prezde

That's 22 or so NCAA classified D-II schools that are playing hockey. I think they need 40 to conduct a separate D2 championship should the Power 5 get nasty and make D1 just for D1.
              Right. Those are D2 SCHOOLS with D1 hockey programs. Prez was talking about hockey programs, if I understood him correctly.

Comment

Prezde

I was talking how they classify their hockey programs. I'm fully aware how many of the Division I hockey schools are D-II or D-III for most other sports.
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  I was talking how they classify their hockey programs. I'm fully aware how many of the Division I hockey schools are D-II or D-III for most other sports.
                  Both Clarkson & St Lawrence are D3 in all other sports. They play Plattsburgh in almost all of them.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Evidently, my “combine Frozen Fours” idea espoused I’m other threads has been discussed and dismissed and tabled for later for exactly the reasons you would expect.

https://***********/toddmilewski/sta...640922114?s=21
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      Evidently, my “combine Frozen Fours” idea espoused I’m other threads has been discussed and dismissed and tabled for later for exactly the reasons you would expect.

https://***********/toddmilewski/sta...640922114?s=21
                      And then this pops up

@NABC1927: The NCAA Division II and Division III Men's Basketball Championships will be held alongside the Division I Men's Final Four in Atlanta next year!

🏀 https://on.ncaa.com/2UBKnPx https://...048576/photo/1
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

And then this pops up

@NABC1927: The NCAA Division II and Division III Men's Basketball Championships will be held alongside the Division I Men's Final Four in Atlanta next year!

�� https://on.ncaa.com/2UBKnPx https://...048576/photo/1
                        They did this the last time it was in Atlanta when celebrating some centennial. They put the D2 and D3 finals as a doubleheader in a smaller arena in the city on the D1 day off which would be Sunday.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                          . Also, outside of the Nescac, I don't know how many hockey players are playing a spring sport.
                          Generally speaking, yes, I agree with you. It does happen sometimes at other schools. St. Norbert all-American goaltender David Jacobson (‘15) was also the leading scorer for SNC’s soccer team (granted, that’s a fall sport.) Although he did stop playing soccer after his sophomore year and ironically his college hockey career ended in January of his senior year after breaking his leg kicking a soccer ball around before a game as part of his warm up routine.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                            Although he did stop playing soccer after his sophomore year and ironically his college hockey career ended in January of his senior year after breaking his leg kicking a soccer ball around before a game as part of his warm up routine.
                            I knew that he broke his leg in "warm ups" but didn't realize that meant playing soccer.
                            5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                            2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Working...
                            X