Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 321

Thread: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

  1. #121
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    43

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Quote Originally Posted by 3100IRL View Post
    Didn't know what to expect with this team but they looked sharp. Don't know if Maine is really bad or what was going on. Think I'm just conditioned to slow starts to the season for PC, but they got me this time.
    Maine is lead by a really bad coach.

  2. #122
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southeast of Providence...
    Posts
    554

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_cliff View Post
    Maine is lead by a really bad coach.
    So Maine goes home after PC game to play exhibition against New Brunswick, lose that one 5-0....I think Maine could be really bad if these 2 games are any indication.

    ND beat the National development team who the Friars play next Saturday.

  3. #123
    Say, this is nice. Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Wauwatosa, WI
    Posts
    34,334

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Quote Originally Posted by The Freds View Post
    Good start. Liked what I saw.
    I didn't think PC played particularly well in stretches, but then you look at the stats and they're up 7-0 and outshooting Maine by preposterous margin.
    Printz was unconscious.

    "I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

    2008 POTY

  4. #124
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by satyking View Post
    Watching game on NESN must be at least 200 people in the rink ..... see more at PeeWee games, what a shame
    It is inexplicable, the game was definitely sold out, why do friar fans buy tickets to games but then do not attend and do not give tickets to others?

  5. #125
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    43

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Quote Originally Posted by palmettofriar View Post
    It is inexplicable, the game was definitely sold out, why do friar fans buy tickets to games but then do not attend and do not give tickets to others?
    This may be the case on many occasions, but not this time. It was homecoming weekend and it looked sparse at the start of the 1st but then filled in nicely. However after the 2nd period it emptied out - probably due to the 4-0 lead and another PC event downtown at The Dunk starting at 6:30 (Late Night Madness). Also keep in mind many season ticket holders sometimes spend the entire game in the Leary Room, or make their way to it at various times. I think an early start and that the game was on NESN may have also been factors.
    Last edited by uncle_cliff; 10-07-2019 at 10:41 PM.

  6. #126
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,391

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Quote Originally Posted by palmettofriar View Post
    It is inexplicable, the game was definitely sold out, why do friar fans buy tickets to games but then do not attend and do not give tickets to others?
    This is what I don't get.....
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

  7. #127
    Friar Fever.... be a believer!
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Corn Neck Rd. BIRI
    Posts
    1,926

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    I hate to offend anyone's delicate sensibilities but it is almost impossible to give Friars hockey tickets away day of game. If something comes up it's almost a guarantee that you're eating those tickets.

  8. #128
    Unofficial Official
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    113

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Never really factored in the Leary Room taking some of the crowd away from the seats. That makes a lot more sense now with the # of people I tend to notice wandering around there at any game against how many seats may be open. Tim the ticket guy is pretty reliable about alerting me to any open seats/tickets, who may be a season ticket seat that's unavailable (I sit next to one who shows up maybe 10 games a year if that).

  9. #129
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,391

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Quote Originally Posted by 3100IRL View Post
    Never really factored in the Leary Room taking some of the crowd away from the seats. That makes a lot more sense now with the # of people I tend to notice wandering around there at any game against how many seats may be open. Tim the ticket guy is pretty reliable about alerting me to any open seats/tickets, who may be a season ticket seat that's unavailable (I sit next to one who shows up maybe 10 games a year if that).
    The people in my section show up every game but again those are the diehards that have been around for 20 years...
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

  10. #130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,342

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    All these explainations are nice but why is this situation only at PC, I watch other games in HE on NESN and the seats are full and the upstairs at PC is not that big

  11. #131
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    12

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    I think watching games on TV can be deceiving. I attend a fair amount of games and the in-person turnout at other schools is often low. This includes BU. Agganis over the past few seasons (at least at the games PC has played in) has been pretty empty. Of the Hockey East schools, I think UMass-Lowell draws the best - they have really marketed the program to the local community.

    I've been a longtime season ticket holder and my seats are surrounded by season ticket holders who are at most games.

  12. #132
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    43

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Quote Originally Posted by satyking View Post
    All these explainations are nice but why is this situation only at PC, I watch other games in HE on NESN and the seats are full and the upstairs at PC is not that big
    Yes LEARY is not the big, but there seems to be a constant flow in and out of it during a game. Ultimately I think attendance depends heavily on the venue and the game, and I don't think low numbers is only a phenomenon that occurs at PC. There are times I've been to NU games at Matthews and it's virtually empty except for the Dog House. UML always seems to draw well at the Tsongas, but they also have a great arena with a wide variety of concession and drink options and hockey is their top draw. Certainly HE could do more to promote the league and local ticket sales and attendance.

    I do agree that PC hockey should have way more attendance and support than it has, especially given their string of recent successes: 6 straight NCAA appearances; 2 frozen fours; and a national title. However PC in my opinion remains a basketball-centric school, and that bewilders me because the program has had only moderate success when compared to hockey. When they make a tournament, they usually have a quick exit. However, they play in a bigger arena downtown. They also seem to have better marketing (look at the recent Late Night Madness event). Certainly they get better TV coverage (although NESN's focus on HE this year may help in that regard). Then again, what other schools in HE truly have a competing basketball program? UConn, UMass, and NU on occasion?

  13. #133
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,391

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_cliff View Post
    Yes LEARY is not the big, but there seems to be a constant flow in and out of it during a game. Ultimately I think attendance depends heavily on the venue and the game, and I don't think low numbers is only a phenomenon that occurs at PC. There are times I've been to NU games at Matthews and it's virtually empty except for the Dog House. UML always seems to draw well at the Tsongas, but they also have a great arena with a wide variety of concession and drink options and hockey is their top draw. Certainly HE could do more to promote the league and local ticket sales and attendance.

    I do agree that PC hockey should have way more attendance and support than it has, especially given their string of recent successes: 6 straight NCAA appearances; 2 frozen fours; and a national title. However PC in my opinion remains a basketball-centric school, and that bewilders me because the program has had only moderate success when compared to hockey. When they make a tournament, they usually have a quick exit. However, they play in a bigger arena downtown. They also seem to have better marketing (look at the recent Late Night Madness event). Certainly they get better TV coverage (although NESN's focus on HE this year may help in that regard). Then again, what other schools in HE truly have a competing basketball program? UConn, UMass, and NU on occasion?
    In theory, BC has a competitive Basketball program but they have been down for about 15 straight years. Vermont does since they are always near the top of America East
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

  14. #134
    Unofficial Official
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    113

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_cliff View Post
    Yes LEARY is not the big, but there seems to be a constant flow in and out of it during a game. Ultimately I think attendance depends heavily on the venue and the game, and I don't think low numbers is only a phenomenon that occurs at PC. There are times I've been to NU games at Matthews and it's virtually empty except for the Dog House. UML always seems to draw well at the Tsongas, but they also have a great arena with a wide variety of concession and drink options and hockey is their top draw. Certainly HE could do more to promote the league and local ticket sales and attendance.

    I do agree that PC hockey should have way more attendance and support than it has, especially given their string of recent successes: 6 straight NCAA appearances; 2 frozen fours; and a national title. However PC in my opinion remains a basketball-centric school, and that bewilders me because the program has had only moderate success when compared to hockey. When they make a tournament, they usually have a quick exit. However, they play in a bigger arena downtown. They also seem to have better marketing (look at the recent Late Night Madness event). Certainly they get better TV coverage (although NESN's focus on HE this year may help in that regard). Then again, what other schools in HE truly have a competing basketball program? UConn, UMass, and NU on occasion?
    Agreed on the basketball. I've always been curious why there's so much of an imbalanced emphasis on basketball when comparing the success (or lack of it) to the success of the men's hockey program. The women's hockey also seems to be improving but then their tournament only includes half the teams of the men's.

    I'm not a basketball guy, haven't been to a game there in about 20 years and regularly turn down tickets whenever someone offers them. I enjoy the under the radar aspect of the college hockey when compared to basketball. I look at how they promote the events and getting the Late Night Madness when hockey just gets a late afternoon opener to accommodate everything else feels like a snub, when it should've been promoted better.

  15. #135
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    736

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_cliff View Post
    I've been to NU games at Matthews and it's virtually empty except for the Dog House. UML always seems to draw well at the Tsongas, but they also have a great arena with a wide variety of concession and drink options and hockey is their top draw. Certainly HE could do more to promote the league and local ticket sales and attendance.I do agree that PC hockey should have way more attendance and support than it has, especially given their string of recent successes: 6 straight NCAA appearances; 2 frozen fours; and a national title. However PC in my opinion remains a basketball-centric school, and that bewilders me because the program has had only moderate success when compared to hockey. When they make a tournament, they usually have a quick exit. However, they play in a bigger arena downtown. They also seem to have better marketing (look at the recent Late Night Madness event). Certainly they get better TV coverage (although NESN's focus on HE this year may help in that regard). Then again, what other schools in HE truly have a competing basketball program? UConn, UMass, and NU on occasion?
    You are correct about Northeastern's attendance at hockey and hoop games. We've had excellent teams in both sports recently as both Men's teams and Women's Hockey won their league championships. Yet attendance has been disappointing except when BC, bu come in. Even Lowell doesn't bring as large a group as it brought in the past. It's a national trend, not a local malady. Personally, I benefit from, but I disagree with NU's policy putting virtually every home game in every sport on the internet for free. I'm quite sure that on bitter winter nights, many of the students, especially those who live in the large West Campus, hang in the dorm with friends and refreshments and watch from there. The same is true for alumni and other fans who find it easier to stay home on a Friday night instead of dragging 30 miles into Boston, paying $20 for a ticket, $22 to park and buying inflated munchies. At least they all show up for the Beanpot

    In the past two years, we've had a Hobey Baker winner and a Richter award goalie. You've had top quality teams and some terrific individuals. Still the fans don't come! Our students leave early. Why not. We gave them the tickets, so they don't attachmuch value to them. We raise prices as though demand is there and inelastic. Has PC raised its prices as well? Why do we bother to study Economic???
    When I become the King, we will do things differently!

    Your guys looked great, even considering the wretched effort from Maine. I expect you will have another good season. See you in November and, hopefully at the Garden in March!


    Have a great season. We finish

  16. #136
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southeast of Providence...
    Posts
    554

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Quote Originally Posted by HHound View Post
    You are correct about Northeastern's attendance at hockey and hoop games. We've had excellent teams in both sports recently as both Men's teams and Women's Hockey won their league championships. Yet attendance has been disappointing except when BC, bu come in. Even Lowell doesn't bring as large a group as it brought in the past. It's a national trend, not a local malady. Personally, I benefit from, but I disagree with NU's policy putting virtually every home game in every sport on the internet for free. I'm quite sure that on bitter winter nights, many of the students, especially those who live in the large West Campus, hang in the dorm with friends and refreshments and watch from there. The same is true for alumni and other fans who find it easier to stay home on a Friday night instead of dragging 30 miles into Boston, paying $20 for a ticket, $22 to park and buying inflated munchies. At least they all show up for the Beanpot

    In the past two years, we've had a Hobey Baker winner and a Richter award goalie. You've had top quality teams and some terrific individuals. Still the fans don't come! Our students leave early. Why not. We gave them the tickets, so they don't attachmuch value to them. We raise prices as though demand is there and inelastic. Has PC raised its prices as well? Why do we bother to study Economic???
    When I become the King, we will do things differently!

    Your guys looked great, even considering the wretched effort from Maine. I expect you will have another good season. See you in November and, hopefully at the Garden in March!


    Have a great season. We finish
    PC has definitely raised ticket prices for hockey and charge different prices depending on the opponent. Students have to pay for tickets at PC although at a manageable cost I believe. In general last few years they have shown up for games for the first 2 periods then the exodus out after second period horn. That is very frustrating.

    I imagine TV games do impact some of the attendance especially in the cold mid-winter. This year Friars are on the road 8 out of 13 games with no BU or BC for second half of year.
    I always take in NU game in Boston, this year have a choice of 2, early in schedule or late in schedule, probably take the late one which is on a Friday. On those games I have been to other than the students in the upper section, plenty of empty seats. Quite a few PC fans show up at Matthews.

    There is also no overlap with bball games (a couple of double headers for us that go to both in '19 portion of the schedule). I imagine students will show for the afternoon bball game and pass on the hockey game although one is against BU.

    Going to be an interesting year in HE with a lot of new players across the board.

  17. #137
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    522

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Quote Originally Posted by 3100IRL View Post
    Agreed on the basketball. I've always been curious why there's so much of an imbalanced emphasis on basketball when comparing the success (or lack of it) to the success of the men's hockey program. The women's hockey also seems to be improving but then their tournament only includes half the teams of the men's.

    I'm not a basketball guy, haven't been to a game there in about 20 years and regularly turn down tickets whenever someone offers them. I enjoy the under the radar aspect of the college hockey when compared to basketball. I look at how they promote the events and getting the Late Night Madness when hockey just gets a late afternoon opener to accommodate everything else feels like a snub, when it should've been promoted better.
    Why the emphasis on basketball? $$$$$

    Not rocket science - simply the basketball program carries the athletic department at the school. The Big East money, Fox TV contract, nationwide exposure - and lets face it, college basketball is just a lot more popular then college hockey.

  18. #138
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    43

    Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisP View Post
    Why the emphasis on basketball? $$$$$

    Not rocket science - simply the basketball program carries the athletic department at the school. The Big East money, Fox TV contract, nationwide exposure - and lets face it, college basketball is just a lot more popular then college hockey.
    Agreed. Money and exposure play a large part, and one need only look at the sparse attendance at most of the NCAA hockey regional playoff sites to prove your point. ESPN's coverage of those playoffs is also a joke, delegating some of the games to streaming-only channels. The NCAA wouldn't tolerate such foolishness during March Madness. However that doesn't mean that PC, HE, and other HE schools shouldn't at least attempt to better advertise their product, schedule the games wisely to not conflict with basketball, get more fans to the games, and do what they can to keep them in their seats.

  19. #139
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,253
    OT W by HC tonight. Sounded like close gm all gm from what I caught online. We (NU) play them in a bit.. quick question, are they very good or were the Friars caught off guard? playing to the competition etc.
    thx

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,391
    Quote Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
    OT W by HC tonight. Sounded like close gm all gm from what I caught online. We (NU) play them in a bit.. quick question, are they very good or were the Friars caught off guard? playing to the competition etc.
    thx
    PC played down to their level I thought. They scored the tying goal on a scramble in front of the net and then the winner on a breakaway in OT. The first goal was a 3 on 2 and the kid put it right under the bar.

    The interesting thing about the game was the reaction of the Holy Cross coaching staff like they won the NCAA Championship or Stanley Cup. It will be interesting to see Berardís kid playing under Nate and how that goes as Berard was a little bit too excited to win tonight IMO, and the incident last year in Worcester between the two of them.
    Last edited by The Zlax45; 10-12-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •