Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

Originally posted by HHound View Post
    You are correct about Northeastern's attendance at hockey and hoop games. We've had excellent teams in both sports recently as both Men's teams and Women's Hockey won their league championships. Yet attendance has been disappointing except when BC, bu come in. Even Lowell doesn't bring as large a group as it brought in the past. It's a national trend, not a local malady. Personally, I benefit from, but I disagree with NU's policy putting virtually every home game in every sport on the internet for free. I'm quite sure that on bitter winter nights, many of the students, especially those who live in the large West Campus, hang in the dorm with friends and refreshments and watch from there. The same is true for alumni and other fans who find it easier to stay home on a Friday night instead of dragging 30 miles into Boston, paying $20 for a ticket, $22 to park and buying inflated munchies. At least they all show up for the Beanpot

In the past two years, we've had a Hobey Baker winner and a Richter award goalie. You've had top quality teams and some terrific individuals. Still the fans don't come! Our students leave early. Why not. We gave them the tickets, so they don't attachmuch value to them. We raise prices as though demand is there and inelastic. Has PC raised its prices as well? Why do we bother to study Economic???
    When I become the King, we will do things differently!

Your guys looked great, even considering the wretched effort from Maine. I expect you will have another good season. See you in November and, hopefully at the Garden in March!

Have a great season. We finish
    PC has definitely raised ticket prices for hockey and charge different prices depending on the opponent. Students have to pay for tickets at PC although at a manageable cost I believe. In general last few years they have shown up for games for the first 2 periods then the exodus out after second period horn. That is very frustrating.

I imagine TV games do impact some of the attendance especially in the cold mid-winter. This year Friars are on the road 8 out of 13 games with no BU or BC for second half of year.
    I always take in NU game in Boston, this year have a choice of 2, early in schedule or late in schedule, probably take the late one which is on a Friday. On those games I have been to other than the students in the upper section, plenty of empty seats. Quite a few PC fans show up at Matthews.

There is also no overlap with bball games (a couple of double headers for us that go to both in '19 portion of the schedule). I imagine students will show for the afternoon bball game and pass on the hockey game although one is against BU.

Going to be an interesting year in HE with a lot of new players across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by 3100IRL View Post
      Agreed on the basketball. I've always been curious why there's so much of an imbalanced emphasis on basketball when comparing the success (or lack of it) to the success of the men's hockey program. The women's hockey also seems to be improving but then their tournament only includes half the teams of the men's.

I'm not a basketball guy, haven't been to a game there in about 20 years and regularly turn down tickets whenever someone offers them. I enjoy the under the radar aspect of the college hockey when compared to basketball. I look at how they promote the events and getting the Late Night Madness when hockey just gets a late afternoon opener to accommodate everything else feels like a snub, when it should've been promoted better.
      Why the emphasis on basketball? $$$$$

Not rocket science - simply the basketball program carries the athletic department at the school. The Big East money, Fox TV contract, nationwide exposure - and lets face it, college basketball is just a lot more popular then college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
        Why the emphasis on basketball? $$$$$

Not rocket science - simply the basketball program carries the athletic department at the school. The Big East money, Fox TV contract, nationwide exposure - and lets face it, college basketball is just a lot more popular then college hockey.
        Agreed. Money and exposure play a large part, and one need only look at the sparse attendance at most of the NCAA hockey regional playoff sites to prove your point. ESPN's coverage of those playoffs is also a joke, delegating some of the games to streaming-only channels. The NCAA wouldn't tolerate such foolishness during March Madness. However that doesn't mean that PC, HE, and other HE schools shouldn't at least attempt to better advertise their product, schedule the games wisely to not conflict with basketball, get more fans to the games, and do what they can to keep them in their seats.

Comment

• OT W by HC tonight. Sounded like close gm all gm from what I caught online. We (NU) play them in a bit.. quick question, are they very good or were the Friars caught off guard? playing to the competition etc.
          thx
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by northeastern View Post
            OT W by HC tonight. Sounded like close gm all gm from what I caught online. We (NU) play them in a bit.. quick question, are they very good or were the Friars caught off guard? playing to the competition etc.
            thx
            PC played down to their level I thought. They scored the tying goal on a scramble in front of the net and then the winner on a breakaway in OT. The first goal was a 3 on 2 and the kid put it right under the bar.

The interesting thing about the game was the reaction of the Holy Cross coaching staff like they won the NCAA Championship or Stanley Cup. It will be interesting to see Berard’s kid playing under Nate and how that goes as Berard was a little bit too excited to win tonight IMO, and the incident last year in Worcester between the two of them.
            Last edited by The Zlax45; 10-11-2019, 11:05 PM.
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

How would you expect Holy Cross to react after beating a program like PC?

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                PC played down to their level I thought. They scored the tying goal on a scramble in front of the net and then the winner on a breakaway in OT. The first goal was a 3 on 2 and the kid put it right under the bar.

The interesting thing about the game was the reaction of the Holy across coaching staff like they won the NCAA Championship or Stanley Cup. It will be interesting to see Berard’s kid playing under Nate and how that goes as Berard was a little bit too excited to win tonight IMO, and the incident last year in Worcester between the two of them.
                thx for summary.
                obviously a big W for them as not much has happened with that program since paul pearl left.
                beating a solid HE team is an accomplishment for them, no doubt.
                i just hope for my Huskies sake they are done with their HE winning streak. HC tends to fall off second half of the season (last couple seasons anyway) & teams like PC usually peak in that timeframe, so i wouldn't be too worried. sounded like classic trap game.
                GO NU HOCKEY
                Always bullish on the future.
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  How would you expect Holy Cross to react after beating a program like PC?
                  It is tough to explain without video...it was excessive I thought from the staff but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                    It is tough to explain without video...it was excessive I thought from the staff but whatever.
                    Can't imagine Nate was too happy having a handshake with Berard after this loss. Sorry but losing to one of the worse teams in Atlantic Hockey on your home ice is not supposed to happen. But I guess we knew the Friars are not as dominant as what was seen last week and are going to be a work in progress. They had some good chances last night but HC goalie came up big. Also thought they were slow to take shots at times. Dugan coming in on partial break come to mind.

I thought the whole HC team and bench thought they had won the National Championship after scoring the winner. They also had a decent crowd there.

Comment

• Originally posted by 73PCFriar View Post
                      Can't imagine Nate was too happy having a handshake with Berard after this loss. Sorry but losing to one of the worse teams in Atlantic Hockey on your home ice is not supposed to happen. But I guess we knew the Friars are not as dominant as what was seen last week and are going to be a work in progress. They had some good chances last night but HC goalie came up big. Also thought they were slow to take shots at times. Dugan coming in on partial break come to mind.

I thought the whole HC team and bench thought they had won the National Championship after scoring the winner. They also had a decent crowd there.
                      Providence’s bench would have had the same reaction if they won in overtime.

Have you ever seen a game-winning “walk-off” goal where the bench doesn’t leap onto the ice and celebrate with the five skaters and goalie?

Sour grapes.

And yeah, this was obviously a big win for HC. Excuse the kids for being excited after coming behind for the win.

Good luck this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by crusader11 View Post
                        Providence’s bench would have had the same reaction if they won in overtime.

Have you ever seen a game-winning “walk-off” goal where the bench doesn’t leap onto the ice and celebrate with the five skaters and goalie?

Sour grapes.

And yeah, this was obviously a big win for HC. Excuse the kids for being excited after coming behind for the win.

Good luck this season.
                        Yes...our coaches don’t jump up and down together, hug, and act like that unless it is a banner game. This will be very interesting to watch how Berard’s kids (both are committed to PC) goes...

No one here is talking about the players...we are talking about the people behind the bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                          Yes...our coaches don’t jump up and down together, hug, and act like that unless it is a banner game. This will be very interesting to watch how Berard’s kids (both are committed to PC) goes...

No one here is talking about the players...we are talking about the people behind the bench.
                          Kudos to Berard and his assistants, their team came from behind with 22 seconds left to win a tough road game in the season opener. Something to get excited about for sure. They played hard, 20 blocked shots.

Comment

If my team lost to HC (happened a few years ago) I wouldn't care how they celebrated. I'd be focused on why/how it happened. I would think Leaman is more concerned with that. And that win quite possibly could be HCs "national championship" this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              If my team lost to HC (happened a few years ago) I wouldn't care how they celebrated. I'd be focused on why/how it happened. I would think Leaman is more concerned with that. And that win quite possibly could be HCs "national championship" this year.
                              great point. Holy Cross deserved to win and it’s ridiculous to complain about how they celebrated. Also, can’t bee too mad at the team that gave us all that wonderful NCAA win against the Rodents,
                              We have to hope that they finish above tenth place in Atlantic Hockey or else this is a horrible loss - reminiscent of every game against Brown when Pooley was coaching,
                              Last edited by Jon; 10-12-2019, 06:17 PM.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

PC won the exhibition game. Hooray.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X