Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

Sorry to see that Mark Divver is no longer at the Projo. Will miss his coverage of local hockey and especially his articles and insights regarding the Friars. Hope another option will come along so that so we can continue to benefit from his top flight journalism. On the bright side, noticed that the Ottowas Senators hired D.J. Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by PC91 View Post
    Looks like both the hockey and hoop coaches were looking to jump ship. Cooley is doing the Rick Barnes "I looked at what was out there and became more committed to being at PC". Funny how that happens when a coach interviews for a job and doesn't get the job. Barnes did it with UVA but he was signed and sealed but PC would let him out of his contract at the time. Cooley came close but didn't get the job. We'll see if Leaman is at PC come July. I certainly hope so.
    Cooley got a raise and an extension...
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Posted on St. Lawrence thread.

@_Neutral_Zone
    Cody Monds to Providence. Former St. Lawrence commit. Dynamic F plays w/lots of pace. Changes direction on a dime & the puck never slows. Smaller but size never limits.

Quote Originally Posted by NEW Friar View Post
    Posted on St. Lawrence thread.

@_Neutral_Zone
    Cody Monds to Providence. Former St. Lawrence commit. Dynamic F plays w/lots of pace. Changes direction on a dime & the puck never slows. Smaller but size never limits.
    He is listed on a couple of sites as a 2020 freshman recruit....Did PC move him up a year? I doubt it but the coaching change at St Lawrence likely has to do with him changing commitments.

Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    He is listed on a couple of sites as a 2020 freshman recruit....Did PC move him up a year? I doubt it but the coaching change at St Lawrence likely has to do with him changing commitments.
    Way Iíve read it he is a 2020 recruit

Agree looking on line looks like he was recruited at beginning of Morrisí tenure there.

Unofficial Official

Anybody else go to the curling event yesterday? That was some fun times.

Friar Fever.... be a believer!

O'Brien is going to the BCHL. I heard it was partly because PC hockey STILL doesn't have a schedule for next year leaving many wondering why they bother collecting season ticket money so early if they don't even know who they are playing or if are they even fielding a team with all the defections???

Quote Originally Posted by PC91 View Post
    O'Brien is going to the BCHL. I heard it was partly because PC hockey STILL doesn't have a schedule for next year leaving many wondering why they bother collecting season ticket money so early if they don't even know who they are playing or if are they even fielding a team with all the defections???

Neutral Zone @_Neutral_Zone
    4.75 Jay OíBrien is headed to BU in 2020 after a year in the BCHL. The first round NHL pick is big, strong and sees the whole ice. Played at Providence this season.

Quote Originally Posted by boblav1 View Post
    Neutral Zone @_Neutral_Zone
    4.75 Jay O’Brien is headed to BU in 2020 after a year in the BCHL. The first round NHL pick is big, strong and sees the whole ice. Played at Providence this season.
    Someone didn't watch him play....He played small, weak, and didn't see the ice well at all.

O'Brien did not have a good year for sure. The direct transition from prep school did not work well, then several injuries put him in and out of the lineup and I imagine added pressure to produce upon returning. Would have been too risky to put him in during the NCAA's and he practiced with a red jersey during that run, (perhaps to save face - I think he tried to be a good teammate but it must have felt terrible to not be in there when the stakes were so high). Probably a situation where a fresh start after gaining junior level playing experience is just what he needs. I hope this works out for him, (except when he plays the Friars if he does end up at BU).

Quote Originally Posted by NEW Friar View Post
    O'Brien did not have a good year for sure. The direct transition from prep school did not work well, then several injuries put him in and out of the lineup and I imagine added pressure to produce upon returning. Would have been too risky to put him in during the NCAA's and he practiced with a red jersey during that run, (perhaps to save face - I think he tried to be a good teammate but it must have felt terrible to not be in there when the stakes were so high). Probably a situation where a fresh start after gaining junior level playing experience is just what he needs. I hope this works out for him, (except when he plays the Friars if he does end up at BU).
    If he does end up at BU year after next will make for some interesting games against them. His frosh teammates from this year will be juniors and leaders of the Friars by then.

Someone posted on the Friar Scout board that he is petitioning the NCAA for immediate transfer and play at BU next season.

I can't believe the league would even allow this in conference move with immediate eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by 73PCFriar View Post
    Someone posted on the Friar Scout board that he is petitioning the NCAA for immediate transfer and play at BU next season.

I can't believe the league would even allow this in conference move with immediate eligibility.
    Several of the Flyers writers are reporting this...

https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/stat...44592026959872

Head case, thinks he is entitled....

Can anyone cite a league case of a player transferring in HE, with no sit-out, for some kind or personal reason?
    If the answer is no, why petition the NCAA, t's really none of their biz.

Thereís a hardship rule thatís been used to move closer to home for personal reasons. Boston is about 15 minutes closer to his house than Providence. If there is that much hardship in his life, he should take some time off from hockey or only play home games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pc88 View Post
    Thereís a hardship rule thatís been used to move closer to home for personal reasons. Boston is about 15 minutes closer to his house than Providence. If there is that much hardship in his life, he should take some time off from hockey or only play home games.

glad to see mental health awareness is strong in rhody

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Be happy he is not with the team anymore. There seems to a lot of questions marks surrounding this player. Let him and his people figure it out and the Friars are out of the circus. His spot is filled with a motivated freshmen who wants to be there. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    If you have inside info Mookie and itís mental health, he probably should not be playing until he gets himself right

there's a good buck in that racket.

Quote Originally Posted by pc88 View Post
    If you have inside info Mookie and itís mental health, he probably should not be playing until he gets himself right

he wants to be closer to home. cause could be a number of things. who's to judge
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Thread Information