Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence Friars - 2019-2020 Rebuilding The Friars for Another NCAA

Dropped a few spots in the polls and went up a few spots in Pairwise, in case anyone was wondering which metric was the more useful.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon View Post
      Dropped a few spots in the polls and went up a few spots in Pairwise, in case anyone was wondering which metric was the more useful.
      Pairwise is everything.

Comment

Originally posted by palmettofriar View Post
        Pairwise is everything.
        I understand that pairwise was THE stat that mattered when it came to NCAA tournament selection. Polls don't interest me as much over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
          I understand that pairwise was THE stat that mattered when it came to NCAA tournament selection. Polls don't interest me as much over the years.
          They've never made that much sense - even when PC was ranked #1 a while in 2015 during the Ellis year - but this last one was really stupid. UML dropped 2 places after sweeping RPI and Penn State and then Penn State went up two spots on the strength of beating Merrimack 7-0 at Lawler (I guess) . It's weird.

Although I have mentioned before that it was fun watching SCSU complain about that one person who kept giving UMASS a first place vote. Good times.
          Last edited by Jon; 12-05-2019, 02:22 PM.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Big weekend to close out the first part of the season. 4 points to go after against UML, who already have 2 pts against the Friars with that OT win at Schneider earlier this season. Will see a bunch of frosh on both sides playing in this one. Wall is the big difference maker for UML right now.

Questions on whether Dugan plays and if so how well with injury (and will he be targeted). ONeill out again this weekend.

Game 1 at Schneider tonight, maybe students show up for this instead of watching the roundball Friars on TV against those guys from South Kingstown.

Comment

Originally posted by 73PCFriar View Post
              Big weekend to close out the first part of the season. 4 points to go after against UML, who already have 2 pts against the Friars with that OT win at Schneider earlier this season. Will see a bunch of frosh on both sides playing in this one. Wall is the big difference maker for UML right now.
              UML is back to their old form of a few years ago. They had some bad weekends against UCONN and Colgate, but I'm thinking a split is the most likely scenario.

Originally posted by 73PCFriar View Post
              Game 1 at Schneider tonight, maybe students show up for this instead of watching the roundball Friars on TV against those guys from South Kingstown.
              After the games against Northwestern, Penn, Long Beach, and Charleston - that will be a lovely evening. For Rhody. Hopefully less so for UML.

-Blackadder
              -Casablanca
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

The start of the third period was bad

-Blackadder
                -Casablanca
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                  UML is back to their old form of a few years ago. They had some bad weekends against UCONN and Colgate, but I'm thinking a split is the most likely scenario.

After the games against Northwestern, Penn, Long Beach, and Charleston - that will be a lovely evening. For Rhody. Hopefully less so for UML.
                  Now looking at a UML season sweep....that opening couple of minutes of the third was a disaster...and Wall put up one after PC got that 2-0 lead.

Friars are in a bad spot now...played the most games in HE so teams have great chance to jump past them...

UML's upper classmen stepped up last night with a senior and 2 juniors scoring and a senior netman closing the door on Friars after the quick start

Except for the NU game, Friars have played well on the road, let's see what tonight brings...

We could be looking at an NCAA shutout year for both of the top men's programs if the hockey team can't start putting Ws up...but at least they are not playing bad like their bball brethren

(closing note: I hope Lupikek doesn't show up for another game at Schneider, has to be one of the worse officials in the league)

Comment

• Originally posted by 73PCFriar View Post
                    Now looking at a UML season sweep....that opening couple of minutes of the third was a disaster...and Wall put up one after PC got that 2-0 lead.

Friars are in a bad spot now...played the most games in HE so teams have great chance to jump past them...

UML's upper classmen stepped up last night with a senior and 2 juniors scoring and a senior netman closing the door on Friars after the quick start

Except for the NU game, Friars have played well on the road, let's see what tonight brings...

We could be looking at an NCAA shutout year for both of the top men's programs if the hockey team can't start putting Ws up...but at least they are not playing bad like their bball brethren

(closing note: I hope Lupikek doesn't show up for another game at Schneider, has to be one of the worse officials in the league)
                    True, the friars are not playing bad. However, they are not coming up big in the third period and their losses and disappointments have been primarily self-inflicted such as this one.
                    Kudos to Lowell for a gritty Road win. The Lowell pp that produced the winning goal was dominate and impressive.
                    Big test for the friars to see how they respond tonite.

Comment

Lupikek was horrible but looking back at it, what call did he get wrong? Parker Ford clearly deserved that kneeing penalty and I thought should have been tossed. Shame on PC video people for putting up the wrong replay in the arena to put the crowd in a frenzy. Spencer Young deserved his ten minute misconduct as Hockey East made it known this week after a BU player shot a puck into the stands and a Merrimack goalie shot a puck into a goal celebration this was going to be a penalty.

The problem I have with Lupikek is watching the replay on the scoreboard and shaking his head yes, I made the right call to Leaman even after he watched the replay on the monitor.

Scheindartdt made the Penalty Shot call on a puck covered in the crease when the puck wasn’t even in the crease anymore. I can’t tell you if PC covered it before it left the crease though.
                      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Friars bounce back with big win tonight, 4-1 up at Tsongas. That's it for HE games until January. Next game is Catamount Cup end of the month.

Get Dugan's shoulder some time to heal, he did not score tonight.

BC has 5 games in hand on the Friars, plenty of games to jump over and widen the gap for them and they are playing well right now.

I think Maine is the only team that's played same number of games as PC so everyone has chance to leap frog them.

Comment

Friars bounce back with big win tonight, 4-1 up at Tsongas. That's it for HE games until January. Next game is Catamount Cup end of the month.

Get Dugan's shoulder some time to heal, he did not score tonight.

BC has 5 games in hand on the Friars, plenty of games to jump over and widen the gap for them and they are playing well right now.

I think Maine is the only team that's played same number of games as PC so everyone has chance to leap frog them.
                          Friars respond big time, great character win.

Comment

• Good win for the guys tonight. Wonder who got stuck with Schittenhard and Lupinek tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3100IRL View Post
                              Good win for the guys tonight. Wonder who got stuck with Schittenhard and Lupinek tonight.
                              UConn UVM. Boxscore looked a bit messy so seems pretty close to last night.
                              Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                                UConn UVM. Boxscore looked a bit messy so seems pretty close to last night.
                                Schitt seems to be consistently awful, but at least he's consistent. I don't know much about the other guy, think that's the first PC game I've noticed him officiating.

Comment

Working...
                                X