Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Recruiting Rules

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
    This an area where Frost and his staff have been disappointing. He talks a lot about character and their program "pillars" and yet he has taken more than his share of very young recruit commitments even though he says he thinks it's not the right thing to do. In the article he says the rule change is "healthy". This suggests he thinks the recruitment of, say, 8th graders is unhealthy yet he made sure to get a few in before the rule changed. He did the same thing last spring ahead of the rule re unofficial visits going into play. If you don't like the way something is being done, then you don't do it - even if it may disadvantage your program. That's character.

I realize WI and others have had early commitments as well. I'm just more peeved about Frost because I've heard him talk in the past about how he doesn't like the idea of teams recruiting so early. It's the hypocrisy that grates on me.
    If you're peeved and things are grating on you, then maybe you should exit stage left on the bit...It would be better for your health.
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 05-01-2019, 02:03 PM.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

If you don't like the way something is being done, then you don't do it - even if it may disadvantage your program. That's character.

Brad Frost refused to martyr himself on the pyre of early recruiting. Did he do the right thing or the wrong thing?
      -I don't know, I think he was probably right to swim in the pool he was in.

Should he have given up any talk of character around his program, himself, or his players because of that refusal?
      -lol

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post

Should he have given up any talk of character around his program, himself, or his players because of that refusal?
        -lol
        To the contrary. He should keep talking and promoting character. He just should do a better job of walking the talk in this area. And he has a chance to do that by not trying to find "...some loophole to try to circumvent the rule..." as he discusses in the article...even if his competitors go that route...

Comment

most college coaches we have run into have followed the rules in place. I don’t know any that would not take top talent at a young age. This is a very competitive sport with little room for error. Much of the top talent not that separated from the 2nd tier if you will. Are they talking out of 2 sides of their mouth. Of course.

Do these rules affect recruits in Canada and Europe?
          Pass the puck

Comment

This an area where Frost and his staff have been disappointing. He talks a lot about character and their program "pillars" and yet he has taken more than his share of very young recruit commitments even though he says he thinks it's not the right thing to do. In the article he says the rule change is "healthy". This suggests he thinks the recruitment of, say, 8th graders is unhealthy yet he made sure to get a few in before the rule changed. He did the same thing last spring ahead of the rule re unofficial visits going into play. If you don't like the way something is being done, then you don't do it - even if it may disadvantage your program. That's character.

I realize WI and others have had early commitments as well. I'm just more peeved about Frost because I've heard him talk in the past about how he doesn't like the idea of teams recruiting so early. It's the hypocrisy that grates on me.
            If you disadvantage your program you are putting everyone around you at risk. assistant coaches, players, admin etc. That would be bad character wouldn't it? If your thrown into a pond you have to swim with the other fish. Sometimes doing what everyone else is doing is the best way to get things done. The bigger programs have all said they wanted the rules to change and when they started recruiting the same way, everyone took notice and now there is change. Maybe everyone thought, now UM,UW and the likes are doing it so now we have to change the rules? I would think that the new rules will benefit the big schools? I think Frost was being genuine when he said the rules needed to change.

Comment

So Frost has a couple of 13 year olds who would like to commit to UM. If he says, "Wait for three years, but trust me, I'll want you then -- if I'm still here," does that show high character in his dealings with them? He has already taken commitments from a number of other young players over the years, but he shouldn't talk to these two? Honor is often not as straightforward as the self-righteous would have you believe.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Someone needs to read up on the tragedy of the commons.

Comment

Y’all might have had enough of the NYT link of the week, and no, Norway is not the U.S. of A., but here’s an interesting perspective on this whole madness, for those who want to re-envision the wheel.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/28/s...rts-model.html

Comment

It’s a bit disingenuous to use the winter Olympics and not mention summer for Norway. They average 16 medals per winter Olympics while only 6 per summer games. The US has won 17 times as many medals at the summer games (over 2500 to the Norwegians 150) while Norway has won almost 370 to the US 305 in winter.
                    A big reason there are so many fatties in the US is our low cost of food and free food for so many. You can thank all those illegals working on farms and cafes for our cheap food.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                      Someone needs to read up on the tragedy of the commons.
                      I read the Wikipedia article on it - hope that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        A big reason there are so many fatties in the US is our low cost of food and free food for so many. You can thank all those illegals working on farms and cafes for our cheap food.
                        Ladies and gentlemen.....another episode of "The World According To Fox News!" for all of your edification

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                          I read the Wikipedia article on it - hope that counts.
                          Probably counts as much as this...

Tragedy of the Commons

Comment

Ladies and gentlemen.....another episode of "The World According To Fox News!" for all of your edification
                            this from the person that can't even figure out how many players on their favorite team is from British Columbia

next time take your mittens off so you can count on your fingers

Comment

Why did you take the bait, you know how this works
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                                Why did you take the bait, you know how this works
                                Evidently, they don't...

Comment

Working...
                                X