Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 195

Thread: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

  1. #141
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,560

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Maybe this whole age-thing is moot. I was surprised to read that roughly 38% of American undergraduate college students are over 25...

    https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372

  2. #142
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by UMLFan View Post
    Wait, who's complaining?

    The "smaller, non elite schools" have the rules behind them, and it's been that way for years.
    Youíre complaining that UML cannot compete with BC & BU unless they recruit 21 year old freshman. I donít agree and I think Shawn Walsh proved that at Maine. The only reason the top programs are down is due to the top talent leaving after a year or two. Turning college hockey into an older less skilled league is boring to watch. Itís become a very defensive game. College hockey canít stop the top talent from leaving, but they can make the game more exciting to watch but putting in a maximum age.

  3. #143
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I've got news for you. The big schools are taking older players. By my count, and looking at Heisenberg's site, between Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota, they'll have 11 players coming in this year who will be 20 or 21 by the time their freshman season starts in October. For Minnesota alone, Close (21), Sorenson (20), Meyers (21 in November), McGregor (20) and Moe (20) all fit the bill.

    But the difference is that the big schools use the older kids to fill out rosters (they would never fill one out with an 18 year old who's not ready, but is 18) and to replace kids who were recruited early but didn't pan out. The smaller schools have fewer blue chip players and thus have to rely upon more of the older kids who have played some juniors and are starting to develop.
    BC has a 20 year old freshman Mark Hardman coming in this year. You have to take at least two every year imo to compete.

  4. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    4,604

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by UMLFan View Post
    Wait, who's complaining?

    The "smaller, non elite schools" have the rules behind them, and it's been that way for years.
    And they have won championships recently. Yale and Union, case in point. The only rule the Ivies aren't hamstrung by is age BTW.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

  5. #145
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,461

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    College hockey is fine the way it is. As soon as the big schools get the maximum age of college hockey players reduced to 23, they'll be the first in line at the rules committee's door trying to allows kids to sign their NLI at age 12.

    If you really want to fix college hockey, stop the over recruiting. Stop the meaningless verbals. If the kid signs an NLI he should know at that instant what the school is giving him (nothing, 1/2 ride, full ride, etc) and it is locked in. The school will have to honor that even if the kid doesn't make the team. If the kid wants to back out, and go somewhere else then the team is off the hook. But if the team runs out of scholarships to hand out because they over recruit for a certain year, well tough luck. Good luck signing walk-ons for a couple years.

    I don't know who is dumber - programs that sign a dozen or more kids for a single class year, or the player who signs with a school that already has a dozen or more kids signed for the year they want to land on campus. Every kid believes they won't be the one to get left in the cold but do the math. There are only so many roster spots on game day. You can't play 45 guys, regardless of what you were told when you signed your NLI.

    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  6. #146
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    8,476

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    If you really want to fix college hockey, stop the over recruiting.
    I'm constantly amazed to see how many schools have over 30 commitments for the next four seasons already.
    Monty

    2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

  7. #147
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,851

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    College hockey is fine the way it is. As soon as the big schools get the maximum age of college hockey players reduced to 23, they'll be the first in line at the rules committee's door trying to allows kids to sign their NLI at age 12.
    Lmao okay... The big schools, the ones that actually compete for the star players at the young ages, wanted to get rid of the early recruiting and that's why this recent change made it through. The big schools want to get rid of the ridiculous 25 year old players. And watch, eventually the big schools will win because the real power rests with the few in college hockey. Others will just have to evolve.

  8. #148
    I got the juice
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calirado
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    There have been no loopholes opening up, teams are not taking older and older players to benefit themselves these have been the same eligibility rules since any on of us can remember so stop trying to change the rules and pretending youíre not doing it in your own self interest. And what if they do change and you still lose?
    If you want to change the rules to benefit your programs, you should campaign to allow on-campus regional host sites again like at Mariucci, Yost, REA... at least that would only repeal a recent rule change and return it to the old way and have a shred of dignity. When did the host site rules change, 2010? That seems to correlate really well with when the big $$ schools started doing poorly although when Mariucci last hosted in 2009 the Gophers didnít even make the tournament that year so I guess I see why they are aiming to change the age-old eligibility criteria

  9. #149
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Lmao okay... The big schools, the ones that actually compete for the star players at the young ages, wanted to get rid of the early recruiting and that's why this recent change made it through. The big schools want to get rid of the ridiculous 25 year old players. And watch, eventually the big schools will win because the real power rests with the few in college hockey. Others will just have to evolve.
    I was curious about who was really behind this change because I saw people on mgoblog whining about it being a small school effort. But then Michigan fans will whine about literally anything rather than blaming their own program for their shortcomings.

    I do enjoy how you continue to call 25 year old players "ridiculous" despite all the evidence to the contrary. Maybe if you say it enough someone might believe you.

  10. #150
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    8,210

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    College sports should be for college age people..thats 18-23.
    Per the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center in 2015, the fall 24+ first-time student cohort in 2009 was 19.9%. While that number ebbs and flows with the economy — when times are tougher, older students' enrollment rates drop — but 1-in-5 isn't nothing. The data further down are somewhat interesting, too.

    My alma mater has plenty of Students over the Traditional Age, and they aren't all over-age hockey players (although on average, 4-5 a year are).

    GFM <— HTH, HAND

    [Addendum: yep, I'm aware that other folks posted links. Dang-it, I worked hard to find a study that I liked!!! And I was a traditional student, then a failed grad student a couple of times, then a failed second-bachelors student at 33 ... glad to be back to work.]
    Last edited by gfmorris; 04-25-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Thought I'd provide context...
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  11. #151
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    31,915

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoinak View Post
    I was curious about who was really behind this change because I saw people on mgoblog whining about it being a small school effort. But then Michigan fans will whine about literally anything rather than blaming their own program for their shortcomings.

    I do enjoy how you continue to call 25 year old players "ridiculous" despite all the evidence to the contrary. Maybe if you say it enough someone might believe you.
    What evidence to the contrary - that there are non-athletes enrolled past the age of 25? Apples and oranges.

  12. #152
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    265

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Maybe this whole age-thing is moot. I was surprised to read that roughly 38% of American undergraduate college students are over 25...

    https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372
    I dont think those stats are for undergraduate but rather "Total fall enrollment in degree-granting postsecondary institutions"....a huge percentage of those 25 years old and older are probably masters and PHD Students.

  13. #153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    265

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by UMLFan View Post
    If we went back and limited to a certain age ... saying 19 years old as a freshman (one year out of high school max) ... don't you think it would actually hurt college hockey. There's a finite amount of kids that can come up and play as 18 year olds. They'd continue to get recruited by the "elite" programs. The same applies to 19. So now you've got the "elites" and the next level down that are recruiting them. IMHO, the next level of player down is then getting recruited by programs that will never have a shot to do anything because there really aren't enough 18/19 year old freshmen ready to play DI hockey. That causes a) a talent problem for college hockey which b) results in a worse NCAA DI experience for viewers.

    Again, this is all IMHO.
    18/19 year old freshman arent ready to play D1 hockey because its full of 22, 23, 24 year old players....thats the debate. If age limits happened you would have 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22 year olds in NCAA hockey and 18/19 year olds would then be ready to play upon arrival on campus.

  14. #154
    2016 Hockey East Overlords
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    I dont think those stats are for undergraduate but rather "Total fall enrollment in degree-granting postsecondary institutions"....a huge percentage of those 25 years old and older are probably masters and PHD Students.
    There have been like 5 other sources posted here that are just undergrads and all a higher percentage than the percentage of 25+ college hockey players.

  15. #155
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    265

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by UMLFan View Post
    I'm constantly amazed to see how many schools have over 30 commitments for the next four seasons already.
    Wisconsin has 41 total players (commits and returning rostered) for 2020/21 season. FORTY ONE.
    Last edited by Lemonade; 04-25-2019 at 03:48 PM.

  16. #156

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Wisconsin has 41 total players (commits and returning rostered) for 2020/21 season. FORTY ONE.
    Row well and live.

  17. #157
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Central, Wis
    Posts
    1,492

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    Wisconsin has 41 total players (commits and returning rostered) for 2020/21 season. FORTY ONE.
    This is incorrect. They have a lot, but it's 37 as of now.

  18. #158
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    265

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    This is incorrect. They have a lot, but it's 37 as of now.

    I believe I saw 39 on Wisconsin post and that was with 2 out of 4 goalie spots empty. Even at 37 thats ridiculous. Still only 18 scholarships.
    Last edited by Lemonade; 04-25-2019 at 04:41 PM.

  19. #159
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,851

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    This is incorrect. They have a lot, but it's 37 as of now.
    Lol still ridiculous

  20. #160
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    What evidence to the contrary - that there are non-athletes enrolled past the age of 25? Apples and oranges.
    They're either college aged or they're not, dude. Your feelings on how "ridiculous" or "absurd" it is are meaningless. The fact, as shown earlier in the thread, is that fewer hockey players are 25+ than non-athletes among full time undergraduates. You're gonna need a new argument. Maybe try being honest? Its OK to say "I only care about this because it would help my program win games".

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •