Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 195

Thread: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

  1. #21
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    423625 824919
    Posts
    6,890

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Ok you found a school who does it because of some religious aspect involving people doing mormon missions. I think you understood the point.
    Yep and I think the point is total BS.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  2. #22
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,459
    Quote Originally Posted by islander98 View Post
    Top liners who think they have a good shot at pro hockey often follow the CHL path from the outset. A few top liners will go the NCAA route. However, most of the bottom 6 forwards or bottom 4 D will go to the CHL if they are not academically focused. Those with decent grades that are not top liners generally see the NCAA path as more practical for many reasons. Many of the kids in the W would have a difficult time getting into many of the NCAA schools. But there are some good hockey players that are good students playing CHL. They know that they can play university hockey in Canada if it doesn't work out. Lots of Canadian kids would rather go to a Canadian university. And CIS hockey is probably better hockey than many of the NCAA programs. CIS is full of aged out ex guys from the W and the O and the QM. It is good strong hockey.
    UAA regularly beats CIS teams with relative ease and UAA is not exactly the cream of the NCAA crop.

    Removing 21 yo freshmen is basically telling the smaller schools that they’re not allowed to compete.

  3. #23
    duper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,249

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    I don't understand what the problem is. I'm not trying to be a PITA, but I genuinely don't see why having a six-year age range between the younger an older players as opposed to a 4-year age range is a big deal.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,842

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by duper View Post
    I don't understand what the problem is. I'm not trying to be a PITA, but I genuinely don't see why having a six-year age range between the younger an older players as opposed to a 4-year age range is a big deal.
    25 year olds against 18 and sometimes 17 years olds. Do you know anyone those two ages? They seem the same to you? lol

  5. #25
    duper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,249

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonin21 View Post
    25 year olds against 18 and sometimes 17 years olds. Do you know anyone those two ages? They seem the same to you? lol
    No they don't. Neither do 18-year-olds and 22-year-olds.

    But my question was about why it's a problem for them to be on the ice at the same time. There is always inherently going to be a 5 year (or so) age span. Why is 6 or 7 such a problem? I really genuinely don't understand, and while pithy, snotty responses to questions are fun and all, I really am curious as to what people's problem with it is.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,691
    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Yep and I think the point is total BS.
    I'm guessing whatever team you root for is loaded with older players

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Removing 21 yo freshmen is basically telling the smaller schools that they’re not allowed to compete.
    I don't get this. How do smaller schools in other sports compete with normal aged freshmen?

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Weston
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    I don't get this. How do smaller schools in other sports compete with normal aged freshmen?
    Most smaller schools aren't competitive against the larger schools (major sports). You also have to consider the total number of athletes in those sports that are available.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by duper View Post
    No they don't. Neither do 18-year-olds and 22-year-olds.

    But my question was about why it's a problem for them to be on the ice at the same time. There is always inherently going to be a 5 year (or so) age span. Why is 6 or 7 such a problem? I really genuinely don't understand, and while pithy, snotty responses to questions are fun and all, I really am curious as to what people's problem with it is.
    They root for teams who recruit younger players. It's not that they actually care, it's that they want an artificial advantage.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,691
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoinak View Post
    They root for teams who recruit younger players. It's not that they actually care, it's that they want an artificial advantage.
    Ha, any program can recruit normal aged college kids. And this is something I do care about. It's not the end of the world because my team was able to dominate for a long time often as youngest team in the country. But I still didn't like it then. Just using Minnesota State as an example, they didn't have a single player under 21 when they played Providence. I find that absurd.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    14

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    If a guy isn’t getting an opportunity until he is 21, isn’t it a good indication that he’s got some warts? Goaltenders might be a different animal, but I have to think there aren’t many players projected to be top 6 forwards and top 4 defense rotting away in juniors. I wouldn’t be surprised if newer programs being established and talent coming from states like a California and Arizona will create more urgency to take top players by the time they are 19 and the pool being deeper in regards to young, high end talent. Is this controversy widespread or just localized to Minnesota because Gopher fans are trying to rationalize their 2 titles over a 39 year period?

  12. #32
    duper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,249

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Ha, any program can recruit normal aged college kids. And this is something I do care about. It's not the end of the world because my team was able to dominate for a long time often as youngest team in the country. But I still didn't like it then. Just using Minnesota State as an example, they didn't have a single player under 21 when they played Providence. I find that absurd.
    What do you find absurd about it? I won't keep pestering you; it's clear you either don't want to answer or think I'm trolling (which I'm not). If you choose to ignore the question a third time, I'll let it go, but I really am curious as to why you don't like it.
    Last edited by duper; 04-21-2019 at 12:20 PM.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Ha, any program can recruit normal aged college kids. And this is something I do care about. It's not the end of the world because my team was able to dominate for a long time often as youngest team in the country. But I still didn't like it then. Just using Minnesota State as an example, they didn't have a single player under 21 when they played Providence. I find that absurd.
    Absurd why? Is it demonstrably causing more injuries or something? You aren't giving a reason.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,194

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    good rule changes. about time.
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot.. but when we do.. we are the Champions

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,691

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    How have I not answered the question? My opinion is easy to understand. I don't think you should have 24 year olds against 18 year olds in college hockey. Emphasis on college. You can disagree but don't be obtuse about it. If you really want it spelled out for you, a 21 year old freshman coming off multiple years in juniors is a lot more physically mature than an 18 year old freshman. As I said you can disagree but this isn't some new complaint that hasn't been brought up before.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    How have I not answered the question? My opinion is easy to understand. I don't think you should have 24 year olds against 18 year olds in college hockey. Emphasis on college. You can disagree but don't be obtuse about it. If you really want it spelled out for you, a 21 year old freshman coming off multiple years in juniors is a lot more physically mature than an 18 year old freshman. As I said you can disagree but this isn't some new complaint that hasn't been brought up before.
    I'm still missing where you give an actual reason. People can go to college at any age.

    Yes this has been brought up before, and it's almost always Big Ten fans/administrators who want even more advantages for their programs.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,691

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    If you can't comprehend the reasoning I just gave, that's on you. Not gonna waste any more time on it. Happy Easter!

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    14

    Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

    Is taking the high road in recruiting the reason why the Gophers have only 2 titles in the face mask, aluminum/composite stick, and plastic tuuk era? Is this what the controversy is really about now that they are taking guys from outside of the state? Motzko knows the game and will start taking some 19-20 year old guys.

  19. #39
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    23,099
    Quote Originally Posted by CanalPark View Post
    Is taking the high road in recruiting the reason why the Gophers have only 2 titles in the face mask, aluminum/composite stick, and plastic tuuk era? Is this what the controversy is really about now that they are taking guys from outside of the state? Motzko knows the game and will start taking some 19-20 year old guys.
    Who are you talking to? JD isn't a Gopher fan.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    Who are you talking to? JD isn't a Gopher fan.
    My bad. He just sounded like one.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •