Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Rule Changes to Slow Recruiting

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Which I certainly understand. This isn't some new argument. I thought everyone already understood the argument against older players. And as I have already explained my team has often had great success as the youngest team in the country or one of the youngest. And I still didn't like it. It's not a new argument.
    Originally posted by duper View Post
    I'm a DU fan, so I'm definitely aware that this isn't a new argument.
    It's a very old argument, going back to the fifties when the old WIHL broke up over the issue (see History of the WCHA at the College Hockey Historical Archives). Even after the western teams patched things over and formed the WCHA it remained enough of an issue that Harvard declined too play in the 1963 NCAA tournament (although Harvard focused on the players being Canadian, they also were 20-21 year-olds who had played in Junior A).

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      It's a very old argument, going back to the fifties when the old WIHL broke up over the issue (see History of the WCHA at the College Hockey Historical Archives). Even after the western teams patched things over and formed the WCHA it remained enough of an issue that Harvard declined too play in the 1963 NCAA tournament (although Harvard focused on the players being Canadian, they also were 20-21 year-olds who had played in Junior A).

Sean
      There used to be a pretty restrictive limit on how many Canadian players you could have on your roster. I think it was relaxed about 1975 roughly.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        There used to be a pretty restrictive limit on how many Canadian players you could have on your roster. I think it was relaxed about 1975 roughly.
        You're thinking of Minnesota and Boston College. And it was much later.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The current rule change: great. What benefit do we have recruiting players at 15? Will make them more entitled and less hungry from a younger age IMO.
          Age cap? Why don’t we just change the draft rules to par with basketball and football while we’re at it. Oh..right.., because college competes with junior/major junior leagues and the level of talent choosing NCAA hockey would be ANNIHILATED. Fair accusing JD of being a Gopher fan. The junior age rules are nothing new AFAIK, but this stems from Lucia throwing a hissy fit after being destroyed by an older Union team in the championship. But fast forward 5 years, let’s say we did totally revamp eligibility rules: no junior over agers, players ineligible after declaring for the draft just like bball to appease some here. Seems fairly safe to say a lot of Gophers would be SOL for a pro career after finishing 20th in the nation.
          If the NCAA is to be a viable league to develop players for the NHL, how does capping the age limit help? Last I checked, the NHL has guys ranging from 18-40s and recruits for size and physicality So this argument that “it’s not fair for 18 year olds to go up against 24-25 year olds” is pure rubbish.
          Sure a team should not be able to force a commit to play three years in juniors before taking them. If after two years they are not on the college team they should be fair game for any NCAA team to take. But not gonna lie, I’m not too familiar with the rules regarding that. Feel free to fill me in
          Last edited by UMD21; 04-21-2019, 11:49 PM.
          I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by CanalPark View Post
            My bad. He just sounded like one.
            And you sound like a d##k. UMD fan perhaps?

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
            Fair accusing JD of being a Gopher fan. The junior age rules are nothing new AFAIK, but this stems from Lucia throwing a hissy fit after being destroyed by an older Union team in the championship
            Oh look another one. And sure he did.
            Last edited by Slap Shot; 04-21-2019, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I don't think that's at all accurate. For example, the 1965 NCAA champion Huskies had a roster made up almost exclusively of Canadians.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...060981965.html

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                Last I checked, the NHL has guys ranging from 18-40s and recruits for size and physicality
                Very good, I'm proud of you. You were able to identify the age range of players in the professional league known as the NHL. What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

Comment

A better comparison to college hockey would be its direct competition. That is the CHL. And the CHL has an age limit so it's really not far fetched at all to opine that college hockey should as well.

Comment

A better comparison to college hockey would be its direct competition. That is the CHL. And the CHL has an age limit so it's really not far fetched at all to opine that college hockey should as well.
                    And where do those that don't make it to the pro leagues go? Canadian colleges. Where they still play for the various universities. If anything, that's reason to keep the age limit exactly where it is.

Comment

Do any Canadian colleges get kids that are 18 and 19 year old freshmen or are they only getting older players who have exhausted their junior eligibility? I checked a couple rosters but don't see any birthdates.

Comment

The answer is apparently no:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...a19802019.html

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...s20092019.html

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                          But college baseball doesn't have to contend with a functional equivalent of Canadian Major Junior. That being said, the NHL could do something similar to what MLB does if it wanted to instead of taking the easy way out by robbing the cradle.

Amen.
                          College baseball competes directly with the many lower levels of minor league baseball. There is nothing to stop a HS graduate from signing with a pro team, be it AAA, AA, A, Short season A, etc rather than wasting time in classrooms they have no affinity for. It seems as though MLB teams actually prefers their draftees do exactly that more often than not. That way they can play more games and not have to spend 3-4 years playing with metal bats.
                          Can't we all just get along?
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

The CHL also allows kids to start play as early as 15. So you might have 15 year-olds playing with 20/21 year olds. That's the same argument as your 18-year olds playing with 24-year olds. So, what's the real problem?
                            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                              So, what's the real problem?
                              I think I have answered that already. But a 15 year old playing against a 21 year old in junior hockey seems absurd to me as well. In any event, I think programs who typically didn't recruit older players are going to start changing their ways and doing that. So if premier programs start winning battles for older players...then what will the woe is me smaller program do?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                                So, what's the real problem?
                                Here's an analogy. Age difference MATTERS when you're young. Not so much after that. If a 31 year old man marries a 16 yo girl that is considered "unusual" (well, to the extent that anything is unusual today). If that man is 50 and the girl is 35, not so much. Young people reach physical maturity and different ages and it's dangerous to pit full-grown adults against kids who are still developing physically. IMO it has nothing to do with what team you root for or whether they happen to have won with younger or older players.

Comment

Working...
                                X