WCHA + AHA + ASU = BETTER (for all)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA + AHA + ASU = BETTER (for all)

There was a proposal floated some years ago at the coaches convention to take the WCHA/CCHA “leftovers” and AHA and form 3 7 team conferences, play each team in your conference 4x for 24 and a member of each other conference 2x. It was something along the line of
    UAA, Bemidji, Mankato, Tech, NMU, LSSU & Ferris in one, UAF, BG, Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Canisius, Niagara, UAH in another and RIT, AI, Bentley, Sacred Heart, Holy Cross, Army and Air Force in the third. Not exactly those groups, but very similar. It made far too much sense to get any real traction outside the coaches.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      There was a proposal floated some years ago at the coaches convention to take the WCHA/CCHA “leftovers” and AHA and form 3 7 team conferences, play each team in your conference 4x for 24 and a member of each other conference 2x. It was something along the line of
      UAA, Bemidji, Mankato, Tech, NMU, LSSU & Ferris in one, UAF, BG, Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Canisius, Niagara, UAH in another and RIT, AI, Bentley, Sacred Heart, Holy Cross, Army and Air Force in the third. Not exactly those groups, but very similar. It made far too much sense to get any real traction outside the coaches.
      I could get on board with that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        I think similar ideas were floated, glad to hear it was actually talked about.

The WCHA, CCHA, and ECHA. What could have been.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
          Penn State loads up with AH schools, and it got them to one NCAA tournament and close to another
          They've had a Div I program for how many years now? How long did it take SCSU, MSUM and BSU to do the same?
          Last edited by Slap Shot; 04-21-2019, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post

west - UAF/UAA/AF/ASU
            central - MNSU/BSU/MTU/NMU
            east - LSSU/FSU/BGSU/UAH

play most of your games within your region and make sure to schedule games with the other two with a rotation every year. keep things simple opening up more (then now) NC games with teams around you. as an example west could play DU and CC, central can play UofMN and SCSU, and east can play MSU and MIAMI.
            GO TECH GOLD!
            What about tUMD, you dick? Don’t you remember when we used to play 2 series/year in WCHA? What are we, chopped liver?
            I wanna go fast!

Comment

Is the concept of a scheduling interlock still dead?

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                They've had a Div I program for how many years now? How long did it take SCSU, MSUM and BSU to do the same?
                SCSU - 1st year 1987-88, NCAA tournament second year 1988-89 Independent. Herb Brooks took the job at $21K dependent on commitment to go D1 and secure state funding for an arena. National Hockey Center built in their 3rd D1 season 1989-90. Opened Dec 16, 1989
                MSUM - 1st year 1996-97, NCAA tournament seventh year 2002-03 WCHA. Announced going D1 in 1992 but shot down by the Minn State University board, took another stab in 1995 and was approved. Mankato Civic arena first hockey game Feb 3, 1995
                BSU - 1st year 1999-2000, NCAA tournament sixth year 2004-05 CHA. Went D1 because the NCAA ended sponsorship of a Division II ice hockey tournament due to lack of membership. Sanford Arena first hockey game Oct 15, 2010.

PSU- 1st year 2012-13, NCAA tournament fifth year 2016-17. $88 million donation by the Pegula's in 2010 upgraded to $102 million. Pegula Ice arena opened Oct 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                  What about tUMD, you dick? Don’t you remember when we used to play 2 series/year in WCHA? What are we, chopped liver?
                  while i would LOVE to be in the same conference as UMD, its not realistic to think that will happen in the near future.

we can still play two series every year... and trust me, it isn't happening because tech does not want to...

GO TECH GOLD!
                  Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 04-22-2019, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                    Ummm, wasn't UMD one of the schools that blew up the WCHA and CCHA to form the Nacho? Who's the dick?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      Not judging them in any way. The discussion was about scheduling, and I was simply pointing out that under the Pairwise, it's more important to win than it is to schedule highly ranked opponents. College basketball is just the opposite. You get more credit for playing Duke at Duke than you do for beating up on UMKC. It may be wiser for WCHA teams to look for possible non-con wins against AH opponents, than it is for taking on Denver, Michigan, etc. every year and having it hurt us at tournament time.

Comment

If you win against lower ranked teams you should still get a bid. If you win against higher ranked teams you will get a better seed. (Which could mean you only have to travel to Allentown instead of going to Manchester).

Bottom line is just win the **** games on your schedule.

Comment

There really isn’t a convenient way to group these schools.

Even the proposed 3 conference solution forces the AHA schools (the least able to afford additional burden) to take on flights to Alabama.

Just look at the geographic disparity all around:

The outliers:
                          UAA
                          UA(F)
                          ASU
                          USAFA

Minnesota:
                          BSU
                          MnSU

Michigan & Ohio:
                          MTU
                          NMU
                          LSSU
                          FSU
                          BGSU

The South:
                          UAH

AHA West:
                          Mercyhurst
                          RMU
                          Niagara
                          Canisius
                          RIT

AHA East:
                          Army
                          AIC
                          Bentley
                          Holy Cross
                          Sacred Heart

Wildcards:
                          ~7 D-II schools just waiting for the NCAA to be cool with just letting D-II schools play D-I. All in the AHA-East region.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Until the non-RIT AHA schools are capable of drawing more than a few hundred fans per game, I’m not sure what you could ask them to shoulder for travel burdens.

Fantasy casting a conference for them is tough. It’s easier to envision them with the remaining D-II schools to give them more short bus rides and fewer trips past Albany.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              There really isn’t a convenient way to group these schools.

Even the proposed 3 conference solution forces the AHA schools (the least able to afford additional burden) to take on flights to Alabama.

Just look at the geographic disparity all around:

The outliers:
                              UAA
                              UA(F)
                              ASU
                              USAFA

Minnesota:
                              BSU
                              MnSU

Michigan & Ohio:
                              MTU
                              NMU
                              LSSU
                              FSU
                              BGSU

The South:
                              UAH

AHA West:
                              Mercyhurst
                              RMU
                              Niagara
                              Canisius
                              RIT

AHA East:
                              Army
                              AIC
                              Bentley
                              Holy Cross
                              Sacred Heart

Wildcards:
                              ~7 D-II schools just waiting for the NCAA to be cool with just letting D-II schools play D-I. All in the AHA-East region.
                              Alabama-Huntsville and the two Alaska schools pay a travel stipend to incoming schools. There are schools that are within a 10-12 hour bus trip in the UAH grouping. No, it’s not like Sacred Heart to Holy Cross or Canisius to Niagara marathons, but it’s very doable.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                                play most of your games within your region and make sure to schedule games with the other two with a rotation every year. keep things simple opening up more (then now) NC games with teams around you. as an example west could play DU and CC, central can play UofMN and SCSU, and east can play MSU and MIAMI.
                                You say that like these teams in the current WCHA and AHA would get to call the shots on what games they schedule for out of conference.

You are not going to get WCHA/AHA schools scheduling 1 for 1 with NCHC/B1G schools. NCHC/B1G has the travel budget, they don't care how much WCHA/AHA does or doesn't have. NCHC/B1G is going to schedule 1 for 1 with BIG/NCHC, with a mix of HEA and then fill up the rest with 2 for 1 or 1 for 0 games against other conferences.

If anything, you are going to end up with WCHA/AHA schools in 1 for 2 or 2 for 3 agreements with NCHC/B1G schools and you are going to ruin the budget because 1) they are traveling more, so more travel expenses and 2) they are traveling more, so less revenue from home games.

Like it or not, the "big" schools have most of the power when scheduling and this realignment wouldn't change that.

Comment

Working...
                                X