Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA + AHA + ASU = BETTER (for all)

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
    You say that like these teams in the current WCHA and AHA would get to call the shots on what games they schedule for out of conference.

You are not going to get WCHA/AHA schools scheduling 1 for 1 with NCHC/B1G schools. NCHC/B1G has the travel budget, they don't care how much WCHA/AHA does or doesn't have. NCHC/B1G is going to schedule 1 for 1 with BIG/NCHC, with a mix of HEA and then fill up the rest with 2 for 1 or 1 for 0 games against other conferences.

If anything, you are going to end up with WCHA/AHA schools in 1 for 2 or 2 for 3 agreements with NCHC/B1G schools and you are going to ruin the budget because 1) they are traveling more, so more travel expenses and 2) they are traveling more, so less revenue from home games.

Like it or not, the "big" schools have most of the power when scheduling and this realignment wouldn't change that.
    yes...

...and no.

the idea that i laid out, reduces travel considerably for both the AHA (by removing AF) and the WCHA (by the creation of localized regions). with that you save time, money, travel, etc, etc. money probably being the biggest thing...

in regard to NC NACHO/B1G/HEA games;

as is, we are already at a 2/1 or 1/0 type set up with these "better" conferences... there is no increase in cost pending the fact you are not increasing the number games with such said conferences.

overall, the idea would be for less travel within your conference and also overall.

if we do reduce the number of conference games by a series or two (which i am for) we can maybe play more WCHA-vs-AHA games... which can possibly be more helpful for its more balanced with a bigger chance of a higher PWR seed/placement.

winning can get to the tourney more so (against whomever) then beating the best teams once in a while.

let's stop putting the big schools on a pedestal... we can create a win-win situation in-house with the two smaller conferences.

GO TECH GOLD!
    Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 04-22-2019, 07:05 PM.

Comment

This entire thread would only have made sense if it started on 4/1 or 4/20
      Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
        here is an idea...

i am playing the agitator. but i do feel the WCHA and AHA need to shake things up to not only keep things from getting boring but also make the conferences better (as is, its no good).

between the WCHA, the AHA, and ASU you have a total of 22 teams.

have AHA give up AF... so they can go down from 11 to 10 teams making scheduling and traveling much easier and cheaper - all AHA teams would be really close to each other. AF and army can still have their bouts in the likes of the governors cup that UAF and UAA fight for every year, but in a NC way. call it the military cup.

the AHA has now 10 teams, they are set. now have ASU and AF join the WCHA making it 12.

travel in the WCHA is a big issue so create three mini-regions;

west - UAF/UAA/AF/ASU
        central - MNSU/BSU/MTU/NMU
        east - LSSU/FSU/BGSU/UAH

play most of your games within your region and make sure to schedule games with the other two with a rotation every year. keep things simple opening up more (then now) NC games with teams around you. as an example west could play DU and CC, central can play UofMN and SCSU, and east can play MSU and MIAMI.

top two from each region moves on, together with two wild cards based on record.

maybe seed the eight teams based on the PWR? could make it exciting for it involves the NC record.

reduce travel, same money, save time, and play more NC games.

take a d*** chance, do it. DO IT!

this here is interesting and relevant;

https://uahhockey.com/blog/2018/06/2...ule-exemption/

GO TECH GOLD!
        That’s not really going to do much to your in conference travel. You wouldn’t want to play more than 4 games each against your region.

The way the WCHA schedule currently works is there are 5 “travel pairs.”
        Anchorage/Fairbanks, Bemidji/Mankato, NMU/Tech, LSSU/Ferris and BG/UAH. You play your travel partner 4 times, and one member of each pair 4 times. You play the other member of each pair twice. That gives you 28 games and the schedule completely rotates over a 4 year span. Other than your travel partner, you play each team at home 3 times over 4 years and each team on the road 3 times over 4 years. Adding 2 more “flight” teams isn’t going to save anyone money. Whether you’re going to Anchorage or Tempe, it still costs a bundle. Although UAF, UAA & UAH pay a subsidy, it generally doesn’t even cover the plane tickets. And Air Force moved to the AHA to be in the same league as Army. That’s not likely to change.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          That’s not really going to do much to your in conference travel. You wouldn’t want to play more than 4 games each against your region.

The way the WCHA schedule currently works is there are 5 “travel pairs.”
          Anchorage/Fairbanks, Bemidji/Mankato, NMU/Tech, LSSU/Ferris and BG/UAH. You play your travel partner 4 times, and one member of each pair 4 times. You play the other member of each pair twice. That gives you 28 games and the schedule completely rotates over a 4 year span. Other than your travel partner, you play each team at home 3 times over 4 years and each team on the road 3 times over 4 years. Adding 2 more “flight” teams isn’t going to save anyone money. Whether you’re going to Anchorage or Tempe, it still costs a bundle. Although UAF, UAA & UAH pay a subsidy, it generally doesn’t even cover the plane tickets. And Air Force moved to the AHA to be in the same league as Army. That’s not likely to change.
          with 28 games (14 series) that each team plays, consider MTU;

this last season tech played two series against UAH, BSU, NMU, MSU, & UAA - one series against FSU, UAF, BGSU, & LSSU.

now considering the regions;

west - UAF/UAA/AF/ASU
          central - MSU/BSU/MTU/NMU
          east - LSSU/FSU/BGSU/UAH

i would have tech play;

four series against MSU, BSU, & NMU (12 series) - one series against a west region team (let's say at home), and one series against a east region team (let's say away).

the following year, you keep the 12 series within your region but you play another west team away, and another east team at home.

as an example;

year 1, UAF at home and LSSU away
          year 2, UAA away and FSU at home
          year 3, AF at home and BGSU away
          year 4, ASU away and UAH at home

then you repeat flip-flopping things...

the travel time and cost is considerably less. its a fact.

want to increase the number of NC games by two? play only one region per year.

year 1, UAF at home
          year 2, LSSU away
          year 3, UAA at home
          year 4, FSU away
          year 5, AF at home
          year 6, BGSU away
          year 7, ASU at home
          year 8, UAH away

and personally, because of the rivalries, i would love to play MSU, BSU, and NMU eight times per year; besides the travel, attendance would be better.

and do you think the alaska teams will complain about playing each other four more times? do you think they will complain about having denver and phoenix as airports to land on? doubt it...

is ASU and AF joining the WCHA a pipe dream? so be it...

while not as good, you can accomplish the same 'type of thing' with two regions of five teams each.

just ideas... the day everybody agrees on this, its the day nobody is thinking.

GO TECH GOLD!
          Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 04-24-2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
            with 28 games (14 series) that each team plays, consider MTU;

this last season tech played two series against UAH, BSU, NMU, MSU, & UAA - one series against FSU, UAF, BGSU, & LSSU.

now considering the regions;

west - UAF/UAA/AF/ASU
            central - MSU/BSU/MTU/NMU
            east - LSSU/FSU/BGSU/UAH

i would have tech play;

four series against MSU, BSU, & NMU (12 series) - one series against a west region team (let's say at home), and one series against a east region team (let's say away).

the following year, you keep the 12 series within your region but you play another west team away, and another east team at home.

as an example;

year 1, UAF at home and LSSU away
            year 2, UAA away and FSU at home
            year 3, AF at home and BGSU away
            year 4, ASU away and UAH at home

then you repeat flip-flopping things...

the travel time and cost is considerably less. its a fact.

want to increase the number of NC games by two? play only one region per year.

year 1, UAF at home
            year 2, LSSU away
            year 3, UAA at home
            year 4, FSU away
            year 5, AF at home
            year 6, BGSU away
            year 7, ASU at home
            year 8, UAH away

and personally, because of the rivalries, i would love to play MSU, BSU, and NMU eight times per year; besides the travel, attendance would be better.

and do you think the alaska teams will complain about playing each other four more times? do you think they will complain about having denver and phoenix as airports to land on? doubt it...

is ASU and AF joining the WCHA a pipe dream? so be it...

while not as good, you can accomplish the same 'type of thing' with two regions of five teams each.

just ideas... the day everybody agrees on this, its the day nobody is thinking.

GO TECH GOLD!
            I like the smaller regions but I think having such a large percentage of games against three teams is a good thing. Possibly cut it back to 6 games against each in your region. (Ex: 4 at the Mac / 2 at the LiBerry this year switch next year)

That would give 3 extra weekends: An extra home vs other region, an extra away vs other region and an extra NC weekend.

I would still prefer the breakdown I mentioned earlier: home and away (4 vs each team) in your own region for 12 games. Two home series against teams from each other region for 8 games. Two away series against teams from each other region for 8 games. Total 28 conference games.

Teams would play every team in other regions one weekend every year.

Might not cut travel expenses as much as DTP's model, but it would be a good balance of the schedule.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't see why AF would make the move. They are consistently one of the better teams in AHA. It might take a bit to be that kind of team in the WCHA.
              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2010 Frozen Four participant
              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                I can't see why AF would make the move. They are consistently one of the better teams in AHA. It might take a bit to be that kind of team in the WCHA.
                I think they'd be fine.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Doings down in rocket land

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...the-Future.php
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Ha! Fort Myers (where FCGU is) is farther from Huntsville than BGSU.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                    X