Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WCHA + AHA + ASU = BETTER (for all)

WCHA + AHA + ASU = BETTER (for all)

here is an idea...

i am playing the agitator. but i do feel the WCHA and AHA need to shake things up to not only keep things from getting boring but also make the conferences better (as is, its no good).

between the WCHA, the AHA, and ASU you have a total of 22 teams.

have AHA give up AF... so they can go down from 11 to 10 teams making scheduling and traveling much easier and cheaper - all AHA teams would be really close to each other. AF and army can still have their bouts in the likes of the governors cup that UAF and UAA fight for every year, but in a NC way. call it the military cup.

the AHA has now 10 teams, they are set. now have ASU and AF join the WCHA making it 12.

travel in the WCHA is a big issue so create three mini-regions;

west - UAF/UAA/AF/ASU
    central - MNSU/BSU/MTU/NMU
    east - LSSU/FSU/BGSU/UAH

play most of your games within your region and make sure to schedule games with the other two with a rotation every year. keep things simple opening up more (then now) NC games with teams around you. as an example west could play DU and CC, central can play UofMN and SCSU, and east can play MSU and MIAMI.

top two from each region moves on, together with two wild cards based on record.

maybe seed the eight teams based on the PWR? could make it exciting for it involves the NC record.

reduce travel, same money, save time, and play more NC games.

take a d*** chance, do it. DO IT!

this here is interesting and relevant;

https://uahhockey.com/blog/2018/06/2...ule-exemption/

GO TECH GOLD!
    Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 04-18-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Re: WCHA + AHA + ASU = BETTER (for all)

Can we bring back northern arizona and USIU too?

Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
    here is an idea...

i am playing the agitator. but i do feel the WCHA and AHA need to shake things up to not only keep things from getting boring but also make the conferences better (as is, its no good).

between the WCHA, the AHA, and ASU you have a total of 22 teams.

have AHA give up AF... so they can go down from 11 to 10 teams making scheduling and traveling much easier and cheaper - all AHA teams would be really close to each other. AF and army can still have their bouts in the likes of the governors cup that UAF and UAA fight for every year, but in a NC way. call it the military cup.

the AHA has now 10 teams, they are set. now have ASU and AF join the WCHA making it 12.

travel in the WCHA is a big issue so create three mini-regions;

west - UAF/UAA/AF/ASU
    central - MNSU/BSU/MTU/NMU
    east - LSSU/FSU/BGSU/UAH

play most of your games within your region and make sure to schedule games with the other two with a rotation every year. keep things simple opening up more (then now) NC games with teams around you. as an example west could play DU and CC, central can play UofMN and SCSU, and east can play MSU and MIAMI.

top two from each region moves on, together with two wild cards based on record.

maybe seed the eight teams based on the PWR? could make it exciting for it involves the NC record.

reduce travel, same money, save time, and play more NC games.

take a d*** chance, do it. DO IT!

this here is interesting and relevant;

https://uahhockey.com/blog/2018/06/2...ule-exemption/

GO TECH GOLD!
    DTP: I like this scenario even better than your two regions within the current WCHA.

With three regions, you could play the 3 teams in your region home and away for 12 games. Home series against 2 teams from each other region for 8 more games. Road series against the other 2 teams in each of the other regions gives you a full 28 game league schedule. Next year travel to the schools you hosted this year and vice versa.

You could use a PWR using only league games for post season seeding.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by s11r9seat8 View Post
    Can we bring back northern arizona and USIU too?
    Only if we can get Ohio and UIC as well.

Don't forget Liberty and Navy into AHA!!

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar

Of course you are ignoring the fact that schools and conferences do what they think is best for them. In the case of Air Force have they given any indication they want to leave Atlantic Hockey and join the WCHA? As for Atlantic Hockey, if I recall correctly, someone posted their commissioner said they were actively pursuing a new member.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Don't forget Liberty and Navy into AHA!!
    Why doesn’t anyone ever mention Delaware when it comes to Atlantic Hockey expansion? Two rinks on campus with their main one holding over 2,000 fans. Location is closer than Navy. Strong history with their ACHA program. Seems like a no brained to me. Wonder if anyone has ever reached out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    Of course you are ignoring the fact that schools and conferences do what they think is best for them. In the case of Air Force have they given any indication they want to leave Atlantic Hockey and join the WCHA? As for Atlantic Hockey, if I recall correctly, someone posted their commissioner said they were actively pursuing a new member.

Sean
    for sure... but AF does not need to be in a bad or unhappy situation to get, to want to get, into a better one. the proposal is just an idea... and sometimes, these ideas get people thinking - including teams and/or conferences. and yes, i heard gossip in regard to AHA pursuing a 12th team... if its a current D-I team, UAH would be my guess.

GO TECH GOLD!
    Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 04-19-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
    It has nothing to do with what the schools and conferences think what's best for them. It's all about the fans and where and who we want to see our favourite teams play.

Drunkard

This is the kind of nonsense that I want to see when I visit these forums in the off-season.

Michigan Tech Fan

I would also expect AF to provide transportation for all WCHA teams as part of this deal. Not going to be a lot of frills, but cheap flights.

LINK: WCHA Transportation Plan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Personally I’d enjoy some kind of WCHA-AHA scheduling alliance. Beats getting our collective **** pushed in by the NCHC every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Personally I’d enjoy some kind of WCHA-AHA scheduling alliance. Beats getting our collective **** pushed in by the NCHC every year.
    there is something to this...

while winning against 'stronger' teams (e.g., NACHO) is great for PWR, winning still is the most important thing no matter the level of competition.

meaning that if you are going to most likely lose, your best bet is to play against teams of your caliber.

you don't 'get points' for losing to any one... no matter how good the team that beats you is!

just need to find a way to work into the equation that playing better teams, will make you better.

hmm... be a fun project to run some kind of monte carlo simulation on this...

...someone has probably done it.

GO TECH GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    This is the kind of nonsense that I want to see when I visit these forums in the off-season.
    Weird, because this was one of the few out the blue realignment proposals I've seen that didn't appear all that ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
    there is something to this...

while winning against 'stronger' teams (e.g., NACHO) is great for PWR, winning still is the most important thing no matter the level of competition.

meaning that if you are going to most likely lose, your best bet is to play against teams of your caliber.

you don't 'get points' for losing to any one... no matter how good the team that beats you is!

just need to find a way to work into the equation that playing better teams, will make you better.

hmm... be a fun project to run some kind of monte carlo simulation on this...

...someone has probably done it.

GO TECH GOLD!
    Penn State loads up with AH schools, and it got them to one NCAA tournament and close to another

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Personally I'd enjoy seeing WCHA schedule and beat a lot of Nacho and B1G teams.

There was a proposal floated some years ago at the coaches convention to take the WCHA/CCHA “leftovers” and AHA and form 3 7 team conferences, play each team in your conference 4x for 24 and a member of each other conference 2x. It was something along the line of
    UAA, Bemidji, Mankato, Tech, NMU, LSSU & Ferris in one, UAF, BG, Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Canisius, Niagara, UAH in another and RIT, AI, Bentley, Sacred Heart, Holy Cross, Army and Air Force in the third. Not exactly those groups, but very similar. It made far too much sense to get any real traction outside the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    There was a proposal floated some years ago at the coaches convention to take the WCHA/CCHA “leftovers” and AHA and form 3 7 team conferences, play each team in your conference 4x for 24 and a member of each other conference 2x. It was something along the line of
    UAA, Bemidji, Mankato, Tech, NMU, LSSU & Ferris in one, UAF, BG, Robert Morris, Mercyhurst, Canisius, Niagara, UAH in another and RIT, AI, Bentley, Sacred Heart, Holy Cross, Army and Air Force in the third. Not exactly those groups, but very similar. It made far too much sense to get any real traction outside the coaches.
    I could get on board with that.

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    I think similar ideas were floated, glad to hear it was actually talked about.

The WCHA, CCHA, and ECHA. What could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    Penn State loads up with AH schools, and it got them to one NCAA tournament and close to another
    They've had a Div I program for how many years now? How long did it take SCSU, MSUM and BSU to do the same?
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 04-21-2019 at 11:36 PM.

Thread Information