Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 88 of 88

Thread: MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

  1. #81

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,967
    Quote Originally Posted by MELIN27 View Post
    I hope the NCAA grants them a waiver. The ouster was a bush league move.
    The second after the waiver is granted, UST has to start recruiting D1 athletes. Where do they stash them during the interregnum between approval and 202x?

    And be prepared for mass transfers as the D3 athletes find programs where they can still play.

  2. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    The second after the waiver is granted, UST has to start recruiting D1 athletes. Where do they stash them during the interregnum between approval and 202x?

    And be prepared for mass transfers as the D3 athletes find programs where they can still play.
    They don't need to stash them anywhere. Once they start the process to move to D1, they are ineligible for D3 playoffs, even if they play a D3 schedule.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  3. #83

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    They don't need to stash them anywhere. Once they start the process to move to D1, they are ineligible for D3 playoffs, even if they play a D3 schedule.
    Ah, thanks. That's the part I forgot. So, IIRC, a two (four?) year transition period?

  4. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Ah, thanks. That's the part I forgot. So, IIRC, a two (four?) year transition period?
    I don't know because if they get the waiver, I don't know what the rule is anymore. My guess would be four years, because I can't see the NCAA even allowing the waiver never mind allow them to shortcut it down to just two years.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  5. #85
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,768

    Re: MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    I don't know because if they get the waiver, I don't know what the rule is anymore. My guess would be four years, because I can't see the NCAA even allowing the waiver never mind allow them to shortcut it down to just two years.
    If there were a waiver, I'm sure it would have its unique transition requirements. As I recall moving from DIII to DI according to the published process takes 11 years (transition from DIII to DII, minimum time as a DII member, then transition time to DI all add up to something like 11 years), if they get a waiver, it would probably come with its own set of rules. The fact that they would give a waiver could create problems for the entire process - such as schools asking why give a special deal to one school and not another. On the other hand, the NCAA is so embattled right now that this would be a minor issue.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  6. #86
    who the hello?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alta, Ut.
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    The fact that they would give a waiver could create problems for the entire process - such as schools asking why give a special deal to one school and not another.
    I think it would be obvious that the special deal was the result of getting booted from their conference for being too successful. Are there any examples of this happening before?

  7. #87
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,768

    Re: MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

    Quote Originally Posted by altazo View Post
    I think it would be obvious that the special deal was the result of getting booted from their conference for being too successful. Are there any examples of this happening before?
    I have never heard of such a thing. If the NCAA were to grant a special deal, I would have thought they would allow them to move instantly into D2.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    I have never heard of such a thing. If the NCAA were to grant a special deal, I would have thought they would allow them to move instantly into D2.
    Maybe that ends up being the compromise the NCAA gives them -- allow them to become D2 instantly, but then they have to follow the rest of the process which is stay D2 for the required number of years before beginning the move to D1. Of course, I have no idea what overall sports conference they could reside in during the interim D2 period.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •