Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
    The Summit League has invited St. Thomas to join, an email I received from the UST president says. The email goes on to say UST is applying to the NCAA for a waiver so they can go DI directly from DIII. No word on hockey.
    3 Summit League schools have men's D1 programs playing in the NCHC (Denver, Omaha, NoDak). If St. Thomas joined as a 9th team it would be an uneven number of teams but not an overly large conference. UMD and St. Cloud also play in the NCHC so there's a geographical match as well.

The women would be an 8th WCHA team and all but 2 of the current members are in Minnesota.

Comment

I wonder if the "WCHA 7" got wind of this when they were writing their letter? UST would be a perfect 8th school to their new conference, maybe the "Great Lakes Hockey Conference"?

Comment

I can't find if there's precedence for waiving the reclassification rules. Does anyone know if the NCAA has allowed DIII straight to DI in recent history?

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
          The Summit League has invited St. Thomas to join, an email I received from the UST president says. The email goes on to say UST is applying to the NCAA for a waiver so they can go DI directly from DIII. No word on hockey.
          ESPN.com has an article on this as well.
          Steve
          Penn State Class of '95
          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

I hope the NCAA grants them a waiver. The ouster was a bush league move.

Comment

Originally posted by MELIN27 View Post
              I hope the NCAA grants them a waiver. The ouster was a bush league move.
              The second after the waiver is granted, UST has to start recruiting D1 athletes. Where do they stash them during the interregnum between approval and 202x?

And be prepared for mass transfers as the D3 athletes find programs where they can still play.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                The second after the waiver is granted, UST has to start recruiting D1 athletes. Where do they stash them during the interregnum between approval and 202x?

And be prepared for mass transfers as the D3 athletes find programs where they can still play.
                They don't need to stash them anywhere. Once they start the process to move to D1, they are ineligible for D3 playoffs, even if they play a D3 schedule.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  They don't need to stash them anywhere. Once they start the process to move to D1, they are ineligible for D3 playoffs, even if they play a D3 schedule.
                  Ah, thanks. That's the part I forgot. So, IIRC, a two (four?) year transition period?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Ah, thanks. That's the part I forgot. So, IIRC, a two (four?) year transition period?
                    I don't know because if they get the waiver, I don't know what the rule is anymore. My guess would be four years, because I can't see the NCAA even allowing the waiver never mind allow them to shortcut it down to just two years.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      I don't know because if they get the waiver, I don't know what the rule is anymore. My guess would be four years, because I can't see the NCAA even allowing the waiver never mind allow them to shortcut it down to just two years.
                      If there were a waiver, I'm sure it would have its unique transition requirements. As I recall moving from DIII to DI according to the published process takes 11 years (transition from DIII to DII, minimum time as a DII member, then transition time to DI all add up to something like 11 years), if they get a waiver, it would probably come with its own set of rules. The fact that they would give a waiver could create problems for the entire process - such as schools asking why give a special deal to one school and not another. On the other hand, the NCAA is so embattled right now that this would be a minor issue.
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                        The fact that they would give a waiver could create problems for the entire process - such as schools asking why give a special deal to one school and not another.
                        I think it would be obvious that the special deal was the result of getting booted from their conference for being too successful. Are there any examples of this happening before?

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                          I think it would be obvious that the special deal was the result of getting booted from their conference for being too successful. Are there any examples of this happening before?
                          I have never heard of such a thing. If the NCAA were to grant a special deal, I would have thought they would allow them to move instantly into D2.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                            I have never heard of such a thing. If the NCAA were to grant a special deal, I would have thought they would allow them to move instantly into D2.
                            Maybe that ends up being the compromise the NCAA gives them -- allow them to become D2 instantly, but then they have to follow the rest of the process which is stay D2 for the required number of years before beginning the move to D1. Of course, I have no idea what overall sports conference they could reside in during the interim D2 period.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Nothing too exciting. For those keeping track, the NCAA was supposed to decide in April whether they would allow St Thomas to move directly from D3 straight to D1. Under the current circumstances with the pandemic, they have delayed that decision until June at the earliest.

NCAA postpones St. Thomas’ Division I decision

https://www.tommiemedia.com/news/bre...on-i-decision/

Comment

St. Thomas gets approval to move up to D-1...decision on men's hockey is pending..

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...etics-program/
                                SNC Men:
                                Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                                NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                                SNC Women:
                                O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Working...
                                X