MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

Official statement from the MIAC that St. Thomas is being involuntarily removed from the conference as of the end of the Spring 2021 semester.

Statement from St. Thomas President Dr. Julie H. Sullivan. Sullivan announced that AD Phil Esten will lead the search for their new conference.

St. Thomas has published an FAQ on leaving the MIAC. Among the questions addresses, it says that "should the conference we join not offer a sport that we have currently, we will explore all options (e.g., affiliate memberships) in order for all our varsity sports to continue playing."

Comment

Is there any chance that they could replace Northland in the NCHA?
      5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
      2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Coughlin View Post
        Is there any chance that they could replace Northland in the NCHA?
        Yes PLEASE! CSS and St Thomas as travel partners would be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          A complete random aside but, I’m not positive any of those schools have anything resembling a decent rink in town. Maybe La Crosse.
          Oshkosh absolutely has a good enough rink to support a D3 school. Their rink is nicer than the rink in Lacrosse, which hosted an NAHL team recently. Both rinks are better than some of the garbage rinks in the MIAC already.
          I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

The WIAC has to be one of, if not the, premier football conference in all of D3. St Thomas seems pretty committed to their football program. The WIAC has stated that they are open to the idea of non-Wisconsin state schools joining, and even with the addition of Northland for hockey they still need one more team to secure a NCAA AQ in that sport. I would be pretty surprised if that is not where UST ends up.

I would also wager that the NCHA would prefer to get smaller rather than bigger. UST joining the NCHA would mean more travel for them compared to the WIAC, and wouldn’t provide a home for all of their other sports. The WIAC could.
            Last edited by altazo; 05-22-2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Here is a letter that St Thomas just set out:

Dear St. Thomas Community,

Today is a difficult day for our community. The Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (MIAC) announced that St. Thomas will be involuntarily removed from membership in the MIAC effective at the end of spring 2021. You can find its official statement here.

As a founding member of the MIAC, St. Thomas has had a long history with these competitors, and we believe our strong presence and success in the conference has made it a better and more competitive one. This history holds importance to our entire community, including our students, coaches and alumni.

St. Thomas expended tremendous effort to remain in the MIAC and stabilize the conference. However, the presidents came to a consensus that the conference itself would cease to exist in its current form if St. Thomas remained. The primary concern cited by the other MIAC presidents is the lack of competitive parity within the conference, across many sports. They stated that St. Thomas has not violated any MIAC or NCAA rules and leaves the conference in good standing.

While this decision is extremely disappointing, we will continue to prioritize the welfare and overall experience of our student-athletes. They embrace and represent both academic and athletic excellence and are important contributors to our university’s culture. Additionally, our coaches share the values of advancing comprehensive excellence and are among the best in the country.

Although our athletic conference will change, one thing will not: our commitment to continued academic and athletic excellence. I am confident in our campus leadership who will guide us forward and optimistic that we will continue to celebrate great success.

Led by our Vice President and Director of Athletics, Phil Esten, and involving members of our community, we will immediately begin a deliberative process to explore other options. The strength of our athletic programs, our institutional commitment to excellence and our location in the metro area will make us an attractive candidate to other conferences. For answers to more questions about this transition, please click here.

I am proud of our success in athletics and of our student-athletes, who excel in the classroom as well as in competition. We have a strong and proud athletic history at St. Thomas – and I am certain we also have a bright future!

Sincerely,

Julie H. Sullivan, Ph.D.
              President
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I can't confirm but rumor has everybody voted against St. Thomas.

Comment

MIAC announces conference membership change

Comment

What a clown show.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      What a clown show.
                      Purity of essence?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Now this story is making national mews. Mike and Tony on Pardon the Interruption called out the rest of the MIAC. They told them to suck it up and get better. Called them cowards. Lol
                        The Titanic only had one Captain..........
                        "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
                        "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
                        9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                          Now this story is making national mews. Mike and Tony on Pardon the Interruption called out the rest of the MIAC. They told them to suck it up and get better. Called them cowards. Lol
                          Good. PTI is correct!
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I guess I can see it both ways. UST’s undergrad enrollment is about 3X greater than just about every other school in the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                              I guess I can see it both ways. UST’s undergrad enrollment is about 3X greater than just about every other school in the conference.
                              That is the case throughout most conferences. Especially D1.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Is there any other way to read this other than they're too good - they have to go? Enrollment size wouldn't seem to affect athletic teams, as those athletes are specifically recruited to come to the college, not recruited from the existing enrollment. Right? I suppose the 98-0 was a horrible thing to do and St. Thomas (specifically the football coach) can take his share of the blame for this), but doesn't this reflect more negatively on the other MIAC members than it does St. Thomas?
                                Steve
                                Penn State Class of '95
                                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Working...
                                X