MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    That is the case throughout most conferences. Especially D1.
    Yeah, and I think it’s less of an issue in our sport. But in D3 football where you have a school with 6300 undergrads playing a school with 900 (St Mary’s) maybe moreso? UST’s annual budget for the football team is $1.1 million. I wonder what St. Mary’s entire athletics department is?

Obviously SNC did OK in the old NCHA playing schools with 3 and 4x their undergrad enrollment.

I think if UST ends up in the WIAC, a few years down the line they won’t miss the MIAC at all, as long as they continue to schedule St. John’s in a NC game every season. If UST wants to win a football national championship, the WIAC is the conference they want to join.
    Last edited by altazo; 05-24-2019, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Re: MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

Correct. Just look at the SUNYAC. (I don't know what year these numbers come from, but it's close enough for comparisons sake.)

Largest: Buffalo State (14,204)
      Smallest: Potsdam (4,592)

I did not count Morrisville, because they are not a full member. However, ironically they do have a football team with an enrollment of just 3,710.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
        Is there any other way to read this other than they're too good - they have to go? Enrollment size wouldn't seem to affect athletic teams, as those athletes are specifically recruited to come to the college, not recruited from the existing enrollment. Right? I suppose the 98-0 was a horrible thing to do and St. Thomas (specifically the football coach) can take his share of the blame for this), but doesn't this reflect more negatively on the other MIAC members than it does St. Thomas?
        I guess one of the arguments, defenses I've read is that the rest of the MIAC doesn't put as much of a focus on athletics as St Thomas does and thats the reason why they want them gone...they're more "academic" institutions. Which is a pretty weak argument when you look at like NESCACs or something along those lines. And then if that is the case and you don't care if your sports teams are good...then why have them, and why kick a team out for having good teams?
        Last edited by gojackets; 05-24-2019, 02:51 PM.
        UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
        NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
        Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
          I guess one of the arguments, defenses I've read is that the rest of the MIAC doesn't put as much of a focus on athletics as St Thomas does and thats the reason why they want them gone...their more "academic" institutions. Which is a pretty weak argument when you look at like NESCACs or something along those lines. And then if that is the case and you don't care if your sports teams are good...then why have them, and why kick a team out for having good teams?
          Stop looking at this logically.
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

In the WIAC Eau Claire is just over 10,000 students, Superior is about 2200. Whitewater, no hockey...is 11,700, LaCrosse-10,000

Most are in the 8-10,000 range with Superior being way lower. Granted Superior left the WIAC in all sports except Hockey, I believe.
            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

So I guess the MIAC had their doubts about St. Thomas??

(ducks for cover from the flying casserole dishes)
              Last edited by joecct; 05-24-2019, 09:39 PM.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                So I guess the MIAC had their doubts about St. Thomas??

(ducks for cover from the glying casserole dishes)
                No doubt

This is just silly. So it appears that the MIAC is committed to mediocrity in athletics, and if you get too good you have to go to another conference. The next school to dominate the conference in any sport had better watch their back.
                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                  No doubt

This is just silly. So it appears that the MIAC is committed to mediocrity in athletics, and if you get too good you have to go to another conference. The next school to dominate the conference in any sport had better watch their back.
                  +1

Comment

Holy Smokes, just saw Augsburg’s history of success in men’s wrestling! 13 National Championships and 31 MIAC crowns. Are they next on the MIAC’s choppin’ block?

Comment

The Hunger Games: mediocrity edition
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Just a thought -- many moons ago the NESCAC gave the boot to Union.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Just a thought -- many moons ago the NESCAC gave the boot to Union.
                          Come on, Joe. You know why that was. It had nothing to do with performance.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            Come on, Joe. You know why that was. It had nothing to do with performance.
                            They went off campus to recruit hockey players and the rest of the conference saw Red. We played them in 76/77, were all set to play them in 77/78 when the admin pulled the plug on the program.

It took them a (long) while, but they seem to have figured out how to make a D1 program work at a D3 school.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

A little late to this (don't come around as much in the summer), but The Athletic had a good article on this a few weeks back. Good discussion in the comments as well.

"The School That Won Too Much: Why St. Thomas Was 'Involuntarily Removed' From the MIAC"

https://theathletic.com/992528/2019/...ed-conference/
                              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

The Summit League has invited St. Thomas to join, an email I received from the UST president says. The email goes on to say UST is applying to the NCAA for a waiver so they can go DI directly from DIII. No word on hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X