Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MIAC to vote to oust St Thomas

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
    I have every reason to believe this is definitely ENTIRELY about football; specifically about a football coach - if we're being honest.
    Seems as though there would be other remedies for the situation as described, but it's hard to judge people's logic and agendas. To blow up a conference because of one team in one sport seems like an odd way to do business. Why not drop football as a conference sport. Then you could have a core of teams that would found a football only conference that would exclude STT? No idea if that is possible or not.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
      Seems as though there would be other remedies for the situation as described, but it's hard to judge people's logic and agendas. To blow up a conference because of one team in one sport seems like an odd way to do business. Why not drop football as a conference sport. Then you could have a core of teams that would found a football only conference that would exclude STT? No idea if that is possible or not.
      That's essentially the threat Augsburg, St. Olaf, Hamline and Carleton are making to Bethel, Concordia and GAC: join us in dropping the Tommies or we drop football and there won't be enough teams for there to be a full MIAC schedule.

Whether all four will walk the walk if this fails remains to be seen.

Comment

Looking around this seems to be where pundits/writers/personalities have the votes:

Keep St. Thomas:
        St. Benedict
        St. John's
        St. Thomas

Kick St. Thomas:
        Augsburg
        Carleton
        Hamline
        Macalester
        St. Catherine
        St. Mary's
        St. Olaf (implied ringleader)

Swing votes:
        Bethel
        Concordia
        GAC

If this layout is accurate, either side needs two of the three swing votes to get their way. One of the writers I'm reading says he thought Concordia would be team Keep but was told don't be so sure when he asked around.
        Last edited by Scott_TG; 04-18-2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Update: No decision made today at meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by BKrosky View Post
            I'm honestly surprised those WIAC schools you've mentioned haven't added a hockey school or aren't required to start one up by a certain year. WIAC dominates in a ton of other sports, recruiting pool is crazy.
            A complete random aside but, I’m not positive any of those schools have anything resembling a decent rink in town. Maybe La Crosse.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Sounds like the next conference meeting is May 29 to further discuss booting UST out of the MIAC conference...
              SNC Men:
              Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
              NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
              SNC Women:
              O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                Sounds like the next conference meeting is May 29 to further discuss booting UST out of the MIAC conference...
                The President of Augsburg claims there is consensus to remove St. Thomas.

Comment

He's "reluctantly" supporting it to "save the MIAC". I suppose there can be a false sense of pride in winning a conference because you kicked out the member you couldn't beat.
                  Steve
                  Penn State Class of '95
                  Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Would St. Thomas then become a DIII hockey independent?
                    The Titanic only had one Captain..........
                    "You're holding your mouth wrong." Jim Cole
                    "Don't take any wooden nickels." Ray Rouse
                    9 Time World Champion Boston Red Sox ('03,'12,'15,'16,'18,2004, '07, '13, '18)

Comment

Originally posted by sacole13 View Post
                      Would St. Thomas then become a DIII hockey independent?
                      If they find another DIII main conference they will by default be an Independent. That's a very tough proposition for the long term health of the program, so they could try to join the NCHA or the WIAC as an associate or even apply for associate membership in the MIAC for hockey (don't see how that works out with this ugly divorce). In theory (no knowledge of the actual situation on the ground for associate membership) I think they stand a better chance with the WIAC than the NCHA due to geography and that the WIAC has recently accepted some associate members for hockey and baseball. But neither of those associates are near the size of UST.

There has been some speculation they could reclassify as a DII. It seems unlikely, but if that actually happens I think that could spell doom for the hockey program. There are no other NCAA DII hockey programs in the West region, they're all in the northeast. I don't know who would play them on a regular basis when the games would no longer count for tournament criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                        There has been some speculation they could reclassify as a DII. It seems unlikely, but if that actually happens I think that could spell doom for the hockey program.
                        Reclassification to DII is a lengthy process (a minimum of 3 years, potentially 4 if they are required to repeat a year in the process) it requires a major institutional commitment.

This whole thing is kind of silly. Once they kick out St. Thomas, what happens when St. John's dominates the conference in the wake of STT's departure. Do they kick them out, too?
                        Last edited by NUProf; 05-13-2019, 09:09 PM.
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Reclassification to DII is a lengthy process (a minimum of 3 years, potentially 4 if they are required to repeat a year in the process) it requires a major institutional commitment.

This whole thing is kind of silly. Once they kick out St. Thomas, what happens when St. John's dominates the conference in the wake of STT's departure. Do they kick them out, too?
                          The MIAC Reformation?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

St. John's is smart enough to not run the score up to 97-0 in a football game when they are already on thin ice. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...r1aqe01fq8pml8

Comment

What a childish joke this is
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

When's the last time a MIAC team was relevant? Agree with @ExileOnDaytonStreet that this conference is a joke.

Comment

Working...
                                X