Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: D1 Recruits Thread

Re: D1 Recruits Thread

Quote Originally Posted by used2lurk View Post
    O'Brien (F), Webster (F), & Wheeler (F)

or

Murphy (F), Burton (F), A. Wethington (F), T. Jungels (F), & Nicholson (D)

???

I am not a GM or college coach. I have seen all but Wheeler play more than several times over the past 3 years and have seen Wheeler online and in person at NAHA. I believe that most coaches and myself would choose the 5 MN commits over the 3 WI commits. Arguably Murphy & Nicholson are even with any 2/3 WI commits. Then you could have Burton/Wethington/Jungels or the last WI commit? Give me 3-4 star commits over 1-5 star with all playing another year of HS and then 4 years of college.
    Minnesota also has Josey Dunne and Anne Cherkowski in addition to the 5 you mention. Minnesota's recruiting class is really well rounded with size and speed and to have Abbey Murphy head the class? Yeah...I'm good with that.
    "The decline of western civilization can be traced directly to bands no longer having horn sections. I'm pretty sure that's science."

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Minnesota also has Josey Dunne and Anne Cherkowski in addition to the 5 you mention. Minnesota's recruiting class is really well rounded with size and speed and to have Abbey Murphy head the class? Yeah...I'm good with that.
    Good thing you donít play games on paper.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahockeydad View Post
    Yeah, WI would run the table for sure.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ahockeydad View Post
    Well, if they did, bc would have a couple of national championships by now...
    "The decline of western civilization can be traced directly to bands no longer having horn sections. I'm pretty sure that's science."

I see that the Silly Season just doesn't run on the Gopher hole football site.

If you're into the "silly season" here is a story that gives some insight into the Neutral Zone scouting service...

https://www.rutlandherald.com/sports...5350df758.html

If you're into the "silly season" here is a story that gives some insight into the Neutral Zone scouting service...

https://www.rutlandherald.com/sports...5350df758.html
    Silly season is correct. These scouting services have a very interesting perspective regarding player evaluations and ratings?? Not to mention pay to be evaluated/recognized/viewed services. Looking at what Minnesota is bringing in you don't need to look farther than USA/Canada rosters at U-18 World championships this year to see the talent.Who performed and contributed With perhaps some of the best players and talent being virtually unrecognized or acknowledged.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeynation View Post
    Silly season is correct. These scouting services have a very interesting perspective regarding player evaluations and ratings?? Not to mention pay to be evaluated/recognized/viewed services. Looking at what Minnesota is bringing in you don't need to look farther than USA/Canada rosters at U-18 World championships this year to see the talent.Who performed and contributed With perhaps some of the best players and talent being virtually unrecognized or acknowledged.
    Outside of the top recruits, which are easy to identify, I see these services as another data point. I know a few DIII coaches and they can't always get out as much as they would want so they may only see some players once, maybe twice. Another point of view certainly can't hurt, but I know I wouldn't base my recruiting decisions entirely on someone else's evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    I see these services as another data point.
    I think that is a reasonable way to look at it...
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 06-27-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Outside of the top recruits, which are easy to identify, I see these services as another data point. I know a few DIII coaches and they can't always get out as much as they would want so they may only see some players once, maybe twice. Another point of view certainly can't hurt, but I know I wouldn't base my recruiting decisions entirely on someone else's evaluation.
    Neutral Zone evaluations are valued much more by parents & players than coaches. Doubtful any D1 coach takes the opinion of a glorified blogger as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Sieve1 View Post
    Neutral Zone evaluations are valued much more by parents & players than coaches. Doubtful any D1 coach takes the opinion of a glorified blogger as fact.
    Youíre probably right (although I donít know many parents that actually pay for the service) but to calll them glorified bloggers isnít quite fair. Iíve met 4-5 of their scouts in different rinks during tournaments and provincials. These folks typically have a solid background in hockey coaching and/or playing, they really are there to evaluate.

Youíre probably right (although I donít know many parents that actually pay for the service) but to calll them glorified bloggers isnít quite fair. Iíve met 4-5 of their scouts in different rinks during tournaments and provincials. These folks typically have a solid background in hockey coaching and/or playing, they really are there to evaluate.
    Iím sure they do know plenty about the game, but my point is that very few, if any, D1 coaches are going to turn to places like Neutral Zone for their info. Theyíll do their own legwork and make their own evaluations.

Iím sure they do know plenty about the game, but my point is that very few, if any, D1 coaches are going to turn to places like Neutral Zone for their info. Theyíll do their own legwork and make their own evaluations.
    Agree. But thereís a much bigger world out there than just D1. My guess is they are more likely to include these evaluations in the decision making than D1 teams.

I’m sure they do know plenty about the game,
    But you said they were glorified bloggers?

But you said they were glorified bloggers?
    Plenty of bloggers have backgrounds in sports. Doesnít mean they donít know the game. But theyíre in the stands, posting on a website, rather than on the bench as a professional coach. Point is that a professional head coach can evaluate talent herself/himself. Doesnít need someone in the stands to do it for them on a subscription website.

you hafta admire the ingenuity of it
    create a glorified blog where you discuss and rate the potential of a kid to play hockey
    and then charge the parents to see what they wrote about their kid

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    you hafta admire the ingenuity of it
    create a glorified blog where you discuss and rate the potential of a kid to play hockey
    and then charge the parents to see what they wrote about their kid
    To be quite honest most parents that have watched their own kid and the same grouping of kids for 10 years or so are more qualified to be scouts than blog peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiveholio View Post
    To be quite honest most parents that have watched their own kid and the same grouping of kids for 10 years or so are more qualified to be scouts than blog peeps.
    Would that include that Zamboni poster dude?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiveholio View Post
    Bingo!

Would that include that Zamboni poster dude?
    Yes it would Believe it or not he probably knows quite a bit about many players but at the end of every evaluation would be" great player but can't score on my kid".

Thread Information