• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D1 Recruits Thread

Originally posted by used2lurk View Post
    O'Brien (F), Webster (F), & Wheeler (F)

or

Murphy (F), Burton (F), A. Wethington (F), T. Jungels (F), & Nicholson (D)

???

I am not a GM or college coach. I have seen all but Wheeler play more than several times over the past 3 years and have seen Wheeler online and in person at NAHA. I believe that most coaches and myself would choose the 5 MN commits over the 3 WI commits. Arguably Murphy & Nicholson are even with any 2/3 WI commits. Then you could have Burton/Wethington/Jungels or the last WI commit? Give me 3-4 star commits over 1-5 star with all playing another year of HS and then 4 years of college.
    Minnesota also has Josey Dunne and Anne Cherkowski in addition to the 5 you mention. Minnesota's recruiting class is really well rounded with size and speed and to have Abbey Murphy head the class? Yeah...I'm good with that.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      Minnesota also has Josey Dunne and Anne Cherkowski in addition to the 5 you mention. Minnesota's recruiting class is really well rounded with size and speed and to have Abbey Murphy head the class? Yeah...I'm good with that.
      Good thing you don’t play games on paper.
      Pass the puck

Comment

Originally posted by Ahockeydad View Post
        Yeah, WI would run the table for sure.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ahockeydad View Post
          Well, if they did, bc would have a couple of national championships by now...

Comment

I see that the Silly Season just doesn't run on the Gopher hole football site.

Comment

If you're into the "silly season" here is a story that gives some insight into the Neutral Zone scouting service...

https://www.rutlandherald.com/sports...5350df758.html

Comment

If you're into the "silly season" here is a story that gives some insight into the Neutral Zone scouting service...

https://www.rutlandherald.com/sports...5350df758.html
                Silly season is correct. These scouting services have a very interesting perspective regarding player evaluations and ratings?? Not to mention pay to be evaluated/recognized/viewed services. Looking at what Minnesota is bringing in you don't need to look farther than USA/Canada rosters at U-18 World championships this year to see the talent.Who performed and contributed With perhaps some of the best players and talent being virtually unrecognized or acknowledged.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeynation View Post
                  Silly season is correct. These scouting services have a very interesting perspective regarding player evaluations and ratings?? Not to mention pay to be evaluated/recognized/viewed services. Looking at what Minnesota is bringing in you don't need to look farther than USA/Canada rosters at U-18 World championships this year to see the talent.Who performed and contributed With perhaps some of the best players and talent being virtually unrecognized or acknowledged.
                  Outside of the top recruits, which are easy to identify, I see these services as another data point. I know a few DIII coaches and they can't always get out as much as they would want so they may only see some players once, maybe twice. Another point of view certainly can't hurt, but I know I wouldn't base my recruiting decisions entirely on someone else's evaluation.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                    I see these services as another data point.
                    I think that is a reasonable way to look at it...
                    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 06-27-2019, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Outside of the top recruits, which are easy to identify, I see these services as another data point. I know a few DIII coaches and they can't always get out as much as they would want so they may only see some players once, maybe twice. Another point of view certainly can't hurt, but I know I wouldn't base my recruiting decisions entirely on someone else's evaluation.
                      Neutral Zone evaluations are valued much more by parents & players than coaches. Doubtful any D1 coach takes the opinion of a glorified blogger as fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                        Neutral Zone evaluations are valued much more by parents & players than coaches. Doubtful any D1 coach takes the opinion of a glorified blogger as fact.
                        You’re probably right (although I don’t know many parents that actually pay for the service) but to calll them glorified bloggers isn’t quite fair. I’ve met 4-5 of their scouts in different rinks during tournaments and provincials. These folks typically have a solid background in hockey coaching and/or playing, they really are there to evaluate.

Comment

You’re probably right (although I don’t know many parents that actually pay for the service) but to calll them glorified bloggers isn’t quite fair. I’ve met 4-5 of their scouts in different rinks during tournaments and provincials. These folks typically have a solid background in hockey coaching and/or playing, they really are there to evaluate.
                          I’m sure they do know plenty about the game, but my point is that very few, if any, D1 coaches are going to turn to places like Neutral Zone for their info. They’ll do their own legwork and make their own evaluations.

Comment

I’m sure they do know plenty about the game, but my point is that very few, if any, D1 coaches are going to turn to places like Neutral Zone for their info. They’ll do their own legwork and make their own evaluations.
                            Agree. But there’s a much bigger world out there than just D1. My guess is they are more likely to include these evaluations in the decision making than D1 teams.

Comment

I’m sure they do know plenty about the game,
                              But you said they were glorified bloggers?

Comment

But you said they were glorified bloggers?
                                Plenty of bloggers have backgrounds in sports. Doesn’t mean they don’t know the game. But they’re in the stands, posting on a website, rather than on the bench as a professional coach. Point is that a professional head coach can evaluate talent herself/himself. Doesn’t need someone in the stands to do it for them on a subscription website.

Comment

Working...
                                X