Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

He fixes the cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Oh, you're right, good catch! I did think that was ground level. I was wondering how in the hell the building had maintained structural integrity.
    Ditto. Also found myself asking "How did all of those pews not burn?!" This explains it.

Just a boring user.

Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

I think a lot of credit has to go into the designers. While it would take some historical research to check on it- the design is actually pretty robust to fire- and I've seen some news that it was planned, given how common roof fires in churches are.

It would be interesting if that were true.

Especially since the rumor that trees were planted near Versailles for this specific purpose has been shown to be a rumor based on a single tweet. The trees are not even oaks.

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    I think a lot of credit has to go into the designers. While it would take some historical research to check on it- the design is actually pretty robust to fire- and I've seen some news that it was planned, given how common roof fires in churches are.

It would be interesting if that were true.

Especially since the rumor that trees were planted near Versailles for this specific purpose has been shown to be a rumor based on a single tweet. The trees are not even oaks.
    Well, also... about 500 years before Versailles. :-)
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Wow:

From @CatholicSat on Twitter:
    "The day after the night before at Notre Dame de Paris. The High Altar stands untouched with its gleaming Cross, and the Blessed Virgin weeping holding her dead Jesus in her arms. The modern Altar installed after Vatican II, lays under rubble from the collapsed roof."

So much symbolism here--not the least of which is Mariological: like the typology of the Burning Bush, this Cathedral of Mary, Mother of God, was "alight, but never consumed".

The religious always find some sort of symbolism in everything. No doubt Muslim extremists are revelling in the symbolism of one of the greatest monuments to Christianity in flames.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    If they do it is by choice. A 1905 law prohibits them from charging admission. That's true of any religious site in France.
    Oddly enough, the Notre Dame in Montreal charges (or at least they did when I was last there) admission for any secular activity, such as checking out the digs. If you are there for prayer, it is without cost.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    The religious always find some sort of symbolism in everything. No doubt Muslim extremists are revelling in the symbolism of one of the greatest monuments to Christianity in flames.
    https://www.newswars.com/french-stud...ut-notre-dame/

https://www.newswars.com/not-everyon...ng-set-ablaze/

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2019/04/a...ring-holy-week

But interestingly enough, the one that may win out is Christianity. Remember that there was quite a bit of secularism during the French Revolution, and then when things finally calmed down, where did they turn for moral guidance? We're seeing the same thing as of late, and with much of the structure standing, could it be possible that many will renew their faith?

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    https://www.newswars.com/french-stud...ut-notre-dame/

https://www.newswars.com/not-everyon...ng-set-ablaze/

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2019/04/a...ring-holy-week

But interestingly enough, the one that may win out is Christianity. Remember that there was quite a bit of secularism during the French Revolution, and then when things finally calmed down, where did they turn for moral guidance? We're seeing the same thing as of late, and with much of the structure standing, could it be possible that many will renew their faith?
    I'm guessing the church did a better job of keeping the whole pedophilia thing under wraps back in those days.

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Remember that there was quite a bit of secularism during the French Revolution, and then when things finally calmed down, where did they turn for moral guidance?
    Napoleon.

No thanks.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Yep, still here

Quote Originally Posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    Probably got scared off by the little fire at the al Aqsa Mosque at the same time
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

I guess it's the Jews that won the day.

Banned

Napoleon.

No thanks.
    What, you don't like natural southpaws?

After that.

Very Un-Dude

Napoleon.

No thanks.
    He was such a Ziggy Piggy.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
    He was such a Ziggy Piggy.
    I just spit my iced tea all over my screen, you magnificent bastige.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    I just spit my iced tea all over my screen, you magnificent bastige.
    So that's what the kids are calling it these days!
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

there's a good buck in that racket.

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    What does insurance have to do with charging an admission???

You said that few US churches charge admission, and the reason is that few are tourist destinations.
    *sigh*
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

wubba lubba dub dub

US churches don't charge for admittance, and they all have private insurance. All moneys taken in are strictly through donations of their parishioners and visitors.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Internet Nutcase

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    US churches ... all have private insurance.
    They also aren't owned by the state. In France Cathedrals built before 1905, when their separation of church and state law was passed, remained property of the state (church and chapel building ownership was transferred to their parish).

The state has far more resources than any private insurance company. Does the U.S. government have fire insurance on the Pentagon?

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    US churches don't charge for admittance, and they all have private insurance. All moneys taken in are strictly through donations of their parishioners and visitors.
    Reminds me of an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm

Didnít Larry scalp tickets to synagogue?

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    The state has far more resources than any private insurance company. Does the U.S. government have fire insurance on the Pentagon?
    Figures you equate the pentagon with a church

Thread Information