Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Quote Originally Posted by jf_gophers View Post
    france is always asking the world to chip in...
    IALTO.

Reminds me of the Robin Williams bit about Germany vs. France.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

there's a good buck in that racket.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    If you want to donate your money, go right ahead. Leave my money out of it.
    like you work

you are a net taker

oh, and you're welcome!
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Let's Go Red!

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    like you work

you are a net taker

oh, and you're welcome!
    Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Kep

Without Jesus there would be no Notre Dame.
    Pfft. Always giving the man credit. Mary's the star, here. Jesus was just some Millennial slacker. Never had a job*, just like his dad.

* "Oh, he had me alright". -- Job
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-17-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Should the US be involved in funding the Large Hadron Collider and ITER?
    Should we be giving other countries foreign aid?
    There's a small issue of the Constitution, especially the First Amendment that your examples don't have to deal with.

And consider- would you be willing to spend your tax dollars on Mecca if it burned down? The Saudi's have plenty of money, too. But it's also a cultural site that's super important to the world.

This isn't expanding the knowledge of science, or fixing the economy of a country, or even feeding people who are facing a disaster. It's a very important Church- which means we officially take sides as a country. Not going to happen.

I may be willing to donate MY personal money, I'm not willing to have our government overlook what they are not allowed to choose sides on.

Should the US be involved in funding the Large Hadron Collider and ITER?
    Should we be giving other countries foreign aid?
    Uh....the US is not a member of CERN (but I get your point). Many US universities collaborate on the research there, and many of those universities and scientists receive federal funding, but the US Government does not provide direct funding to CERN.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    Uh....the US is not a member of CERN (but I get your point). Many US universities collaborate on the research there, and many of those universities and scientists receive federal funding, but the US Government does not provide direct funding to CERN.
    Huh. I knew we’re not members. But I read that we’ve given something like $200 million to the research there. Maybe that was indirect NSF grants given to researchers.

Either he's covering his buttocks or solovsfett and FlagDude08 have another entry into the conspiracy file

Chief architect of Notre Dame for 13 years, he says it's extremely difficult to burn 800-year-old oak like the one that was at Notre Dame because the wood has hardened. During his tenure, in 2010 all of the electrical was redone with extreme caution.

All was up to current code and there were countless details added to fireproof the place, including many sensors to detect any beginning of fire. There was no possibility of short-circuit. There were also two people present, 24 hours a day to check on any alarm and immediately call the firefighters if anything should happen. There are vast elements of control that are not seen anywhere else.

He says he cannot understand what happened.

Either he's covering his buttocks or solovsfett and FlagDude08 have another entry into the conspiracy file
    I'm still going with the electrical fire story...

Internet Nutcase

sometimes **** happens on a construction site

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    sometimes **** happens on a construction site
    Like Italian guys getting a bj from another Italian guy

Lucia Apologist

Or some slag from welding dripped onto the wood and smoldered for hours before it finally spread.

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    like you work

you are a net taker

oh, and you're welcome!
    You don't know my financial situation. Contrary to the talking points you RW morons spew, I still pay taxes even without a job. Go troll somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    The US has an advisory role, but is not a paying member.

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    There's a small issue of the Constitution, especially the First Amendment that your examples don't have to deal with.

And consider- would you be willing to spend your tax dollars on Mecca if it burned down? The Saudi's have plenty of money, too. But it's also a cultural site that's super important to the world.

This isn't expanding the knowledge of science, or fixing the economy of a country, or even feeding people who are facing a disaster. It's a very important Church- which means we officially take sides as a country. Not going to happen.

I may be willing to donate MY personal money, I'm not willing to have our government overlook what they are not allowed to choose sides on.
    This isn't hypothetical. Six years ago next week the ancient mosque of Aleppo was destroyed. It was older than Notre Dame. It supposedly housed the remains of John the Baptist's father. There was no around the clock media coverage, no effort by the world's billionaires to one up each other by donating more money than the last and certainly no support from the US government to rebuild it.

The earliest incarnation of the Aleppo Umayyad Mosque goes back to 715 when it was built in the gardens of the Cathedral of St Helena, the biggest of Aleppo’s 70 churches. “Christian temples” were allowed to flourish until the Crusaders arrived in 1124, burning crops, cutting trees, destroying shrines and plundering tombs to the west of the city. Earlier in 962, Byzantine forces had invaded the city, pillaging then torching the Great Mosque and adjacent souks. Two subsequent waves of Mongol hordes also laid waste to the city and its monuments, led first by Hulagu in 1260, then Tamerlane in 1400. The minaret survived it all. Now, for the first time in its turbulent history, the minaret, the mosque and indeed the city itself has been destroyed by its own rulers.
    ---
    Thanks to apolitical cultural heritage websites like www.apsa2011.com, damage to sites all over Syria has been meticulously catalogued in real-time, offering a clear chronology. Images dated 26 February 2013 show the mosque’s unique 11th century minaret – an exquisite structure whose four sides were covered in Kufic inscriptions and elegant tracery reminiscent of Venetian facades – being hit by a projectile fired from the direction of the regime-held citadel. The 45 metre tall tower long since had a slight lean, the result of blocked drains undermining its foundations. The moment of its collapse in April 2013 was not caught on camera, but immediately afterwards the regime blamed “terrorists” for blowing it up with mines. The rebels counterclaimed that the regime had laid the mines when they controlled the mosque, then repeatedly tried to detonate them with tank shelling once the rebels took the structure over, succeeding finally on 24 April 2013.
    The National

Lucia Apologist

Could it be that Notre Dame isn't in an active warzone with extreme instability? Just a thought...
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Never Forget!

Could it be that Notre Dame isn't in an active warzone with extreme instability? Just a thought...
    It is being rebuilt, and they are still accepting donations. Think the US government is going to donate a dime? Just a thought...

Lucia Apologist

It is being rebuilt, and they are still accepting donations. Think the US government is going to donate a dime? Just a thought...
    We have a government run by a racist, so of course not. The House was just recently taken back over by adults.

What point are you trying to make? That Trump and the Republicans are bad? Point taken I guess.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Never Forget!

We have a government run by a racist, so of course not. The House was just recently taken back over by adults.

What point are you trying to make? That Trump and the Republicans are bad? Point taken I guess.
    The point is that we live in the United States with a separation of church and state. Tax dollars are not supposed to be used to endorse any religion anywhere. Which is exactly what we are doing. More to the point, we are doing so to support a white, Western European, Catholic church and letting any other religious institution fend for itself. Kepler and others are going to argue that the Notre Dame cathedral has value beyond that of a religious structure to which I'll suggest that a monument even older than Notre Dame had at least as much, if not more, value. We've already established that tax dollars shouldn't be wasted on insignificant things like human beings living in our own country, but I feel it is important to point out that we also see religions other than historically white, Christian religions as insignificant too. I know the usual suspects are about to chime in with cries that I'm playing the race card, but I'll point out the inconvenient truth that the same government pledging our tax dollars to rebuild a church in France hasn't even mentioned the three churches burned in 10 days by a white supremacist in Louisiana.

The point is that we live in the United States with a separation of church and state. Tax dollars are not supposed to be used to endorse any religion anywhere. Which is exactly what we are doing. More to the point, we are doing so to support a white, Western European, Catholic church and letting any other religious institution fend for itself. Kepler and others are going to argue that the Notre Dame cathedral has value beyond that of a religious structure to which I'll suggest that a monument even older than Notre Dame had at least as much, if not more, value. We've already established that tax dollars shouldn't be wasted on insignificant things like human beings living in our own country, but I feel it is important to point out that we also see religions other than historically white, Christian religions as insignificant too. I know the usual suspects are about to chime in with cries that I'm playing the race card, but I'll point out the inconvenient truth that the same government pledging our tax dollars to rebuild a church in France hasn't even mentioned the three churches burned in 10 days by a white supremacist in Louisiana.
    Splitting hairs, but since 1905 the French Government owns all the cathedrals that were in France then. One could claim that US $$ going to rebuild ND is a form of foreign aid.

Thread Information