Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
Results 301 to 320 of 320

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

  1. #301
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,401

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Considering NATO invoked the mutual aid article for the first time ever in response to 9/11, that is a resounding yes.
    To rebuild the twin towers, or to help us find who did it and get some retribution.

    If they put money into the Freedom Tower, that would be like us an Notre Dame.

    For future fire prevention, sure, we can offer aid, which is akin to the NATO declaration.

    Did anyone donate money to rebuild the Pentagon? Or just offer planes to bomb people?

    You do see they are not the same, right?

  2. #302
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,401

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Countries did far more than offer monetary support. They offered military and intelligence. That's offering support in the form of lives. Far more valuable than monetary gifts.
    Not the same situation.

    If someone actually set fire to the building, I'm sure we would be all in on helping finding them and getting some retribution- just like what happened in 9/11.

    But I don't recall anyone donating money to clean up or rebuild the actual structures.

    Again, for this particular situation, we are also bound by the Constitution, which should prevent us from donating money to a church. Again, while I'm totally for people donating money, and who knows, I may, too. But I'm not for our government doing it.

  3. #303
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    27,796

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    To rebuild the twin towers, or to help us find who did it and get some retribution.

    If they put money into the Freedom Tower, that would be like us an Notre Dame.

    For future fire prevention, sure, we can offer aid, which is akin to the NATO declaration.

    Did anyone donate money to rebuild the Pentagon? Or just offer planes to bomb people?

    You do see they are not the same, right?
    The Pentagon is a bit different. That's a military complex and offering aid to rebuild a foreign country's military center is an incredibly tricky minefield to navigate. It was also not a total loss like the WTC.

    And if it was terrorists who took down Notre Dame, I'm sure we would be right there with France angling for a fight. Trumpy desperately needs and wants a war so he can play dressup and be a big boy wartime president
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  4. #304
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Colo Spgs
    Posts
    3,729

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'm not opposed to replicas or reconstructions. I've been on the USS Constitution myself. They can be great at conveying a sense of space, etc..., to a visitor wondering what it was like "back then."

    But it's not the same. Notre Dame is never going to be Notre Dame again.

    If the French want to rebuild it to have the partial replica, or because it's a working church, then by all means do so. But I don't think reconstruction of it rises to the level of world crisis which requires action or investment by governments across the planet.
    It already wasn't the same...

  5. #305
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,197

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    This is a logical fallacy, though. It's the argument that when we rank order priorities we cannot justify spending anything on priority 2 unless we completely solve priority 1. But that's now how things really work. Problems are diminished but rarely completely solved. Also: enhancement of life is not made completely irrelevant by the persistence of suffering.

    I'm sympathetic to what you're saying: no city should pass a bond for a ballpark when it can't afford books. But I think that is not analogous to this. Not to mention that to a global donation base one billion euros is noise.
    I'm not trying to rank priorities. I just think that at a point beyond the local Parisian government or the country of France it isn't a priority at all (except for maybe Vatican City).
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  6. #306
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    27,796

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Not the same situation.

    If someone actually set fire to the building, I'm sure we would be all in on helping finding them and getting some retribution- just like what happened in 9/11.

    But I don't recall anyone donating money to clean up or rebuild the actual structures.

    Again, for this particular situation, we are also bound by the Constitution, which should prevent us from donating money to a church. Again, while I'm totally for people donating money, and who knows, I may, too. But I'm not for our government doing it.
    Maybe it's also because the WTC were an insured private commercial venture.

    Notre Dame would be like if the US Capitol building were burned to the ground. Or if the Hoover Dam were destroyed. Countries pledge aid to each other all the time. Hurricanes are one example.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurric...ional_response

    Over seventy countries pledged monetary donations or other assistance. Cuba and Venezuela (both considered as hostile to US government interest) were the first countries to offer assistance, pledging over $1 million, several mobile hospitals, water treatment plants, canned food, bottled water, heating oil, 1,100 doctors and 26.4 metric tons of medicine, though this aid was rejected by the U.S. government.[142][143][144][145] Kuwait made the largest single pledge, $500 million; other large donations were made by Qatar and United Arab Emirates (each $100 million), South Korea ($30 million), Australia ($10 million), India, China (both $5 million), New Zealand ($2 million),[146] Pakistan ($1.5 million),[147] Norway ($1.8 million),[148] and Bangladesh ($1 million).[149]
    We're in this together and everyone can take their selfish responses and shove them.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  7. #307
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,686

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Maybe it's also because the WTC were an insured private commercial venture.

    Notre Dame would be like if the US Capitol building were burned to the ground. Or if the Hoover Dam were destroyed. Countries pledge aid to each other all the time. Hurricanes are one example.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurric...ional_response



    We're in this together and everyone can take their selfish responses and shove them.
    It is very selfish to have the audacity to consider actual human lives more important than property. I apologize.

  8. #308
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,295
    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    It is very selfish to have the audacity to consider actual human lives more important than property. I apologize.
    No, the problem is the answer is: "why not both?"

    You're falling into the GOP trap of we can't even pay for X, so why are we funding PBS or giving health care to anchor babies. We're the richest country on the farking planet. We can afford all of the above.

  9. #309
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    27,796

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    It is very selfish to have the audacity to consider actual human lives more important than property. I apologize.
    Yeah, other countries never offer us aid to cleanup property:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwa...pill#Reactions

    The U.S. government rejected offers of cleanup help from Canada, Croatia, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United Nations. The U.S. State Department listed 70 assistance offers from 23 countries, all being initially declined, but later, 8 had been accepted.[309][310] The USCG actively requested skimming boats and equipment from several countries.[311]
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  10. #310
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,686

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    No, the problem is the answer is: "why not both?"

    You're falling into the GOP trap of we can't even pay for X, so why are we funding PBS or giving health care to anchor babies. We're the richest country on the farking planet. We can afford all of the above.
    We COULD afford both. We COULD afford to do anything. We don't.

  11. #311

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    62,936

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'm not trying to rank priorities. I just think that at a point beyond the local Parisian government or the country of France it isn't a priority at all (except for maybe Vatican City).
    Oh, we totally disagree, then. Notre Dame is a gift to all of humanity. We all should have a stake in preserving it. Notre Dame is way, way, way, way, way more important than France. It predates France.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  12. #312
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,686

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yeah, other countries never offer us aid to cleanup property:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwa...pill#Reactions

    The U.S. government rejected offers of cleanup help from Canada, Croatia, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United Nations. The U.S. State Department listed 70 assistance offers from 23 countries, all being initially declined, but later, 8 had been accepted.[309][310] The USCG actively requested skimming boats and equipment from several countries.[311]
    I place more importance on restoring nature and providing food to millions of people more than providing spirituality. But I guess I'm just weird that way.

  13. #313
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    41,758

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Not the same situation.


    But I don't recall anyone donating money to clean up or rebuild the actual structures..
    there was private insurance
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  14. #314
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    41,758

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    I place more importance on restoring nature and providing food to millions of people more than providing spirituality. But I guess I'm just weird that way.
    yup
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  15. #315
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    41,758

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    We COULD afford both. We COULD afford to do anything. We don't.
    we own the presses (MMT!!!!! )
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  16. #316
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,686

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    yup
    E. K. Hornbeck : Evolution is a tricky question, which is hungrier, my stomach or my soul? Hot dog.
    Bible salesman : Are you an evolutionist? An infidel? A sinner?
    E. K. Hornbeck : The worst kind, I write for a newspaper.

  17. #317
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    41,758

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    E. K. Hornbeck : Evolution is a tricky question, which is hungrier, my stomach or my soul? Hot dog.
    Bible salesman : Are you an evolutionist? An infidel? A sinner?
    E. K. Hornbeck : The worst kind, I write for a newspaper.


    ok, everyone who has seen this, raise you hand
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  18. #318

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    62,936

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post


    ok, everyone who has seen this, raise you hand
    "Progress has never been a bargain. You have to pay for it. Sometimes I think there's a man who sits behind a counter and says, "All right, you can have a telephone but you lose privacy and the charm of distance. Madam, you may vote but at a price. You lose the right to retreat behind the powder puff or your petticoat. Mister, you may conquer the air but the birds will lose their wonder and the clouds will smell of gasoline."
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  19. #319
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,021

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  20. #320
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,021

    Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •