No announcement yet.

Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Considering NATO invoked the mutual aid article for the first time ever in response to 9/11, that is a resounding yes.
    To rebuild the twin towers, or to help us find who did it and get some retribution.

If they put money into the Freedom Tower, that would be like us an Notre Dame.

For future fire prevention, sure, we can offer aid, which is akin to the NATO declaration.

Did anyone donate money to rebuild the Pentagon? Or just offer planes to bomb people?

You do see they are not the same, right?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Countries did far more than offer monetary support. They offered military and intelligence. That's offering support in the form of lives. Far more valuable than monetary gifts.
      Not the same situation.

If someone actually set fire to the building, I'm sure we would be all in on helping finding them and getting some retribution- just like what happened in 9/11.

But I don't recall anyone donating money to clean up or rebuild the actual structures.

Again, for this particular situation, we are also bound by the Constitution, which should prevent us from donating money to a church. Again, while I'm totally for people donating money, and who knows, I may, too. But I'm not for our government doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        To rebuild the twin towers, or to help us find who did it and get some retribution.

If they put money into the Freedom Tower, that would be like us an Notre Dame.

For future fire prevention, sure, we can offer aid, which is akin to the NATO declaration.

Did anyone donate money to rebuild the Pentagon? Or just offer planes to bomb people?

You do see they are not the same, right?
        The Pentagon is a bit different. That's a military complex and offering aid to rebuild a foreign country's military center is an incredibly tricky minefield to navigate. It was also not a total loss like the WTC.

And if it was terrorists who took down Notre Dame, I'm sure we would be right there with France angling for a fight. Trumpy desperately needs and wants a war so he can play dressup and be a big boy wartime president
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          I'm not opposed to replicas or reconstructions. I've been on the USS Constitution myself. They can be great at conveying a sense of space, etc..., to a visitor wondering what it was like "back then."

But it's not the same. Notre Dame is never going to be Notre Dame again.

If the French want to rebuild it to have the partial replica, or because it's a working church, then by all means do so. But I don't think reconstruction of it rises to the level of world crisis which requires action or investment by governments across the planet.
          It already wasn't the same...

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            This is a logical fallacy, though. It's the argument that when we rank order priorities we cannot justify spending anything on priority 2 unless we completely solve priority 1. But that's now how things really work. Problems are diminished but rarely completely solved. Also: enhancement of life is not made completely irrelevant by the persistence of suffering.

I'm sympathetic to what you're saying: no city should pass a bond for a ballpark when it can't afford books. But I think that is not analogous to this. Not to mention that to a global donation base one billion euros is noise.
            I'm not trying to rank priorities. I just think that at a point beyond the local Parisian government or the country of France it isn't a priority at all (except for maybe Vatican City).
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Not the same situation.

If someone actually set fire to the building, I'm sure we would be all in on helping finding them and getting some retribution- just like what happened in 9/11.

But I don't recall anyone donating money to clean up or rebuild the actual structures.

Again, for this particular situation, we are also bound by the Constitution, which should prevent us from donating money to a church. Again, while I'm totally for people donating money, and who knows, I may, too. But I'm not for our government doing it.
              Maybe it's also because the WTC were an insured private commercial venture.

Notre Dame would be like if the US Capitol building were burned to the ground. Or if the Hoover Dam were destroyed. Countries pledge aid to each other all the time. Hurricanes are one example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurric...ional_response

Over seventy countries pledged monetary donations or other assistance. Cuba and Venezuela (both considered as hostile to US government interest) were the first countries to offer assistance, pledging over $1 million, several mobile hospitals, water treatment plants, canned food, bottled water, heating oil, 1,100 doctors and 26.4 metric tons of medicine, though this aid was rejected by the U.S. government.[142][143][144][145] Kuwait made the largest single pledge, $500 million; other large donations were made by Qatar and United Arab Emirates (each $100 million), South Korea ($30 million), Australia ($10 million), India, China (both $5 million), New Zealand ($2 million),[146] Pakistan ($1.5 million),[147] Norway ($1.8 million),[148] and Bangladesh ($1 million).[149]
              We're in this together and everyone can take their selfish responses and shove them.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Maybe it's also because the WTC were an insured private commercial venture.

Notre Dame would be like if the US Capitol building were burned to the ground. Or if the Hoover Dam were destroyed. Countries pledge aid to each other all the time. Hurricanes are one example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurric...ional_response

We're in this together and everyone can take their selfish responses and shove them.
                It is very selfish to have the audacity to consider actual human lives more important than property. I apologize.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  It is very selfish to have the audacity to consider actual human lives more important than property. I apologize.
                  No, the problem is the answer is: "why not both?"

You're falling into the GOP trap of we can't even pay for X, so why are we funding PBS or giving health care to anchor babies. We're the richest country on the farking planet. We can afford all of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    Yeah, other countries never offer us aid to cleanup property:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwa...pill#Reactions

The U.S. government rejected offers of cleanup help from Canada, Croatia, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United Nations. The U.S. State Department listed 70 assistance offers from 23 countries, all being initially declined, but later, 8 had been accepted.[309][310] The USCG actively requested skimming boats and equipment from several countries.[311]
                    Code:

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      No, the problem is the answer is: "why not both?"

You're falling into the GOP trap of we can't even pay for X, so why are we funding PBS or giving health care to anchor babies. We're the richest country on the farking planet. We can afford all of the above.
                      We COULD afford both. We COULD afford to do anything. We don't.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        I'm not trying to rank priorities. I just think that at a point beyond the local Parisian government or the country of France it isn't a priority at all (except for maybe Vatican City).
                        Oh, we totally disagree, then. Notre Dame is a gift to all of humanity. We all should have a stake in preserving it. Notre Dame is way, way, way, way, way more important than France. It predates France.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yeah, other countries never offer us aid to cleanup property:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwa...pill#Reactions

The U.S. government rejected offers of cleanup help from Canada, Croatia, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United Nations. The U.S. State Department listed 70 assistance offers from 23 countries, all being initially declined, but later, 8 had been accepted.[309][310] The USCG actively requested skimming boats and equipment from several countries.[311]
                          I place more importance on restoring nature and providing food to millions of people more than providing spirituality. But I guess I'm just weird that way.

Comment

Not the same situation.

But I don't recall anyone donating money to clean up or rebuild the actual structures..
                            there was private insurance
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I place more importance on restoring nature and providing food to millions of people more than providing spirituality. But I guess I'm just weird that way.
                              yup

Comment

We COULD afford both. We COULD afford to do anything. We don't.
                                we own the presses (MMT!!!!! )

Comment

Working...
                                X