No announcement yet.

Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Originally posted by jf_gophers View Post
    france is always asking the world to chip in...
    IALTO.

Reminds me of the Robin Williams bit about Germany vs. France.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      If you want to donate your money, go right ahead. Leave my money out of it.
      like you work

you are a net taker

oh, and you're welcome!
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        like you work

you are a net taker

oh, and you're welcome!
        Priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Kep

Without Jesus there would be no Notre Dame.
          Pfft. Always giving the man credit. Mary's the star, here. Jesus was just some Millennial slacker. Never had a job*, just like his dad.

* "Oh, he had me alright". -- Job
          Last edited by Kepler; 04-17-2019, 03:50 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Overhead view

https://gigarama.ru/notredame/
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Should the US be involved in funding the Large Hadron Collider and ITER?
              Should we be giving other countries foreign aid?
              There's a small issue of the Constitution, especially the First Amendment that your examples don't have to deal with.

And consider- would you be willing to spend your tax dollars on Mecca if it burned down? The Saudi's have plenty of money, too. But it's also a cultural site that's super important to the world.

This isn't expanding the knowledge of science, or fixing the economy of a country, or even feeding people who are facing a disaster. It's a very important Church- which means we officially take sides as a country. Not going to happen.

I may be willing to donate MY personal money, I'm not willing to have our government overlook what they are not allowed to choose sides on.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Should the US be involved in funding the Large Hadron Collider and ITER?
                Should we be giving other countries foreign aid?
                Uh....the US is not a member of CERN (but I get your point). Many US universities collaborate on the research there, and many of those universities and scientists receive federal funding, but the US Government does not provide direct funding to CERN.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                  Uh....the US is not a member of CERN (but I get your point). Many US universities collaborate on the research there, and many of those universities and scientists receive federal funding, but the US Government does not provide direct funding to CERN.
                  Huh. I knew we’re not members. But I read that we’ve given something like $200 million to the research there. Maybe that was indirect NSF grants given to researchers.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Either he's covering his buttocks or solovsfett and FlagDude08 have another entry into the conspiracy file

Chief architect of Notre Dame for 13 years, he says it's extremely difficult to burn 800-year-old oak like the one that was at Notre Dame because the wood has hardened. During his tenure, in 2010 all of the electrical was redone with extreme caution.

All was up to current code and there were countless details added to fireproof the place, including many sensors to detect any beginning of fire. There was no possibility of short-circuit. There were also two people present, 24 hours a day to check on any alarm and immediately call the firefighters if anything should happen. There are vast elements of control that are not seen anywhere else.

He says he cannot understand what happened.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

People are sick

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...t-new-yorks-st

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Either he's covering his buttocks or solovsfett and FlagDude08 have another entry into the conspiracy file
                        I'm still going with the electrical fire story...
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

sometimes **** happens on a construction site

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                            sometimes **** happens on a construction site
                            Like Italian guys getting a bj from another Italian guy
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Or some slag from welding dripped onto the wood and smoldered for hours before it finally spread.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                like you work

you are a net taker

oh, and you're welcome!
                                You don't know my financial situation. Contrary to the talking points you RW morons spew, I still pay taxes even without a job. Go troll somewhere else.

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                The US has an advisory role, but is not a paying member.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                There's a small issue of the Constitution, especially the First Amendment that your examples don't have to deal with.

And consider- would you be willing to spend your tax dollars on Mecca if it burned down? The Saudi's have plenty of money, too. But it's also a cultural site that's super important to the world.

This isn't expanding the knowledge of science, or fixing the economy of a country, or even feeding people who are facing a disaster. It's a very important Church- which means we officially take sides as a country. Not going to happen.

I may be willing to donate MY personal money, I'm not willing to have our government overlook what they are not allowed to choose sides on.
                                This isn't hypothetical. Six years ago next week the ancient mosque of Aleppo was destroyed. It was older than Notre Dame. It supposedly housed the remains of John the Baptist's father. There was no around the clock media coverage, no effort by the world's billionaires to one up each other by donating more money than the last and certainly no support from the US government to rebuild it.

The earliest incarnation of the Aleppo Umayyad Mosque goes back to 715 when it was built in the gardens of the Cathedral of St Helena, the biggest of Aleppo’s 70 churches. “Christian temples” were allowed to flourish until the Crusaders arrived in 1124, burning crops, cutting trees, destroying shrines and plundering tombs to the west of the city. Earlier in 962, Byzantine forces had invaded the city, pillaging then torching the Great Mosque and adjacent souks. Two subsequent waves of Mongol hordes also laid waste to the city and its monuments, led first by Hulagu in 1260, then Tamerlane in 1400. The minaret survived it all. Now, for the first time in its turbulent history, the minaret, the mosque and indeed the city itself has been destroyed by its own rulers.
                                ---
                                Thanks to apolitical cultural heritage websites like www.apsa2011.com, damage to sites all over Syria has been meticulously catalogued in real-time, offering a clear chronology. Images dated 26 February 2013 show the mosque’s unique 11th century minaret – an exquisite structure whose four sides were covered in Kufic inscriptions and elegant tracery reminiscent of Venetian facades – being hit by a projectile fired from the direction of the regime-held citadel. The 45 metre tall tower long since had a slight lean, the result of blocked drains undermining its foundations. The moment of its collapse in April 2013 was not caught on camera, but immediately afterwards the regime blamed “terrorists” for blowing it up with mines. The rebels counterclaimed that the regime had laid the mines when they controlled the mosque, then repeatedly tried to detonate them with tank shelling once the rebels took the structure over, succeeding finally on 24 April 2013.
                                The National

Comment

Working...
                                X