No announcement yet.

Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Notre Dame Cathedral is burning down...

NBC News is reporting that firefighters saved the main structure of the cathedral.

Comment

The Crown of Thorns remains. https://www.news.com.au/world/europe...21e11fc694bc99

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I haven't. It's... um... it's kind of a dessert! :-)

The outside is wonderful:

There are churches like this all through western rural Austria. They all have those wonderful churchyards:

Very cool! Something about European churches fascinates me.

Amazingly the one that stood out the most to me was a small country church in a sleepy Normandy town. Of course it was in Sainte-Mère-Église so it was the epicenter of the Normandy invasion and the church were Red Buttons hung around outside while still connected to his parachute (for those who have seen The Longest Day) in the early hours of 6 June. There were more bullet holes than one could count inside the church....holes in the walls, the pillars, doors, everywhere. Pillars inside the doors were especially full of holes as the invading paratroopers came in hot.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
        Twenty red lights in his honor
        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          That first pic......*exhalesstrongly* Man............
          There should be a couple pics from inside the Chartes Cathedral on my FB page, if you're interested. Nothing from afar as dramatic as the pics Kep posted.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
            There should be a couple pics from inside the Chartes Cathedral on my FB page, if you're interested. Nothing from afar as dramatic as the pics Kep posted.
            I will probably scroll though....it's just so majestic, and then the foreground that is so simple...love it.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

That is hauntingly beautiful.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  NBC News is reporting that firefighters saved the main structure of the cathedral.
                  It does look like the lower half was saved https://heavy.com/news/2019/04/notre...r-fire-photos/

(I tried to link it, but no success).

CNN is showing similar pictures- perhaps the lower part was saved by the pure size of the structure... We will see over the next few days,

(edit- aparch just posted the same pic)

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    Imagine being hired to renovate an 800+ year old cathedral and burning it down instead.
                    Obviously not even in the same ballpark (not even the same sport), but my employer has the largest collection of laboratory mouse strains in the world, some only available from us. In 1989 construction workers started a fire that killed 350,000-500,000 mice. Luckily there were other buildings not affected, but it was a huge blow to biomedical research at the time, possibly jeopardizing >$1B in ongoing research projects at the time.

How would you like to be that construction worker?

It was our second devastating fire. In 1947 there was a huge wildfire that destroyed a large number of homes on the island and the lab and wiped out all the mice. This was before cryopreservation of embryos (now we have “backups” of all the important mice, and three different geographic locations with live mice now - two in Maine and one in California). Scientists from all over the world sent mice back to replenish the lines.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/06/15/us/world-research-disrupted-by-fire.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-scientist.com/news/debris-cleared-jackson-begins-recovery-from-fire-61987/amp

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      Even in destruction, there is sometimes beauty....
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        👍

Comment

The front pages of Tuesday's newspapers are coming out.

The front of Liberation features a picture of the spire at the moment it collapsed with the caption: Notre Drame (Our drama) calling it a national catastrophe.

http://geographiesenmouvement.blogs....phe-nationale/

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Please, don't joke like that. I can see that, but that would mean the end of Christian Europe.
                            What a pathetic thing to be upset about. You really are just a bigoted human being.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              What a pathetic thing to be upset about. You really are just a bigoted human being.
                              What Handyman has said is unimportant and I do not hear his words.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                                Even in destruction, there is sometimes beauty....
                                And given how bad it looked like the internal damage could have been, that is a surprisingly uplifting picture.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X