Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 101 to 108 of 108

Thread: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

  1. #101
    cetihcra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Denver, Colorado -- VT awhile back
    Posts
    2,619
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Is still 80mph on the interstate between Denver & Ft. Collins??
    75 is now the max speed limit in CO, including from the north Denver burbs to Fort Fun, and beyond.

    r

  2. #102
    Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Grounded
    Posts
    35,516
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Is still 80mph on the interstate between Denver & Ft. Collins??
    Gotta go to rural Utah and Nevada to get posted 80 now. Might be some in 'Zona still.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Gotta go to rural Utah and Nevada to get posted 80 now. Might be some in 'Zona still.
    Wyoming has 80 on I-25. Maybe the other interstates too.

  4. #104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,506

    Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by thebrain View Post
    Xtreme Arena in Coralville (Iowa City) is under construction. It will be home to the University of Iowa volleyball team, U of I’s club hockey team and the community hockey programs. It opens August 2020 and holds 5,100.

    https://coralville.org/765/Xtream-Arena
    Congratulations on the new rink. Getting a facility of this nature built is a significant accomplishment.

    A regional at the new rink is a cool idea, and might just work. As a B1G college town, and a plausible candidate for a D-1 team, interest in Iowa City might be greater than in the AHL cities that have been previously tried in the West. The neutrality of the site is beyond question, yet it's driveable for most all of the Central Time Zone schools.

    If I were representing University of Iowa Athletics though, I might have a different event at the top of my wish list. As I understand it, the Hall of Fame Game is an annual event held early in the season. The purpose is to raise money for the Hall, but I have to believe that the financial demands placed on the host would be far less than a D-1 regional. Similarly, you'd expect ticket prices to be lower than at a regional.

    Anyhow, if you could get two teams from the B1G to square off in Iowa City, and market it as an audition for the new rink, you might really have something. And should the audition go well, maybe a regional bid could be the next step.

    The participating teams would also have an incentive. Such games are considered non-conference, and don't count against your season total of games.

    Disclaimer: OK, Iowa City isn't Vegas. But in the usual year, IIRC, the game is much closer to the D-1 Hockey campuses in the Upper Midwest.

  5. #105
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Now preparing for the 100th season of Tech hockey
    Posts
    3,115

    Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Congratulations on the new rink. Getting a facility of this nature built is a significant accomplishment.

    A regional at the new rink is a cool idea, and might just work. As a B1G college town, and a plausible candidate for a D-1 team, interest in Iowa City might be greater than in the AHL cities that have been previously tried in the West. The neutrality of the site is beyond question, yet it's driveable for most all of the Central Time Zone schools.

    If I were representing University of Iowa Athletics though, I might have a different event at the top of my wish list. As I understand it, the Hall of Fame Game is an annual event held early in the season. The purpose is to raise money for the Hall, but I have to believe that the financial demands placed on the host would be far less than a D-1 regional. Similarly, you'd expect ticket prices to be lower than at a regional.

    Anyhow, if you could get two teams from the B1G to square off in Iowa City, and market it as an audition for the new rink, you might really have something. And should the audition go well, maybe a regional bid could be the next step.

    The participating teams would also have an incentive. Such games are considered non-conference, and don't count against your season total of games.

    Disclaimer: OK, Iowa City isn't Vegas. But in the usual year, IIRC, the game is much closer to the D-1 Hockey campuses in the Upper Midwest.
    A Hall of Fame game is an interesting idea.

    The question is who you're trying to attract. An in-season game is easier to plan for the fans of the participating teams (+) but doesn't have the importance appeal of an NCAA tournament game (-). But if you're trying to target the local fans instead, that changes the equation. In any case, a one game audition sounds like a good idea instead of diving in with a three game tournament level commitment to start. Many less requirements on what needs to be provided, including locker room space and ice time (you just knew I would bring that up, right?).

  6. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,506

    Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    A Hall of Fame game is an interesting idea.

    The question is who you're trying to attract. An in-season game is easier to plan for the fans of the participating teams (+) but doesn't have the importance appeal of an NCAA tournament game (-).
    Previous Hall of Fame Games should give us an idea of how many fans would travel from the participating schools. Understood that the Vegas game was an anomaly.

    But if you're trying to target the local fans instead, that changes the equation.
    Since we're talking teams from the B1G, Football would have to be taken into account. You'd probably want a weekend when Hawkeye Football was on the road, for example. But yes, you'd be auditioning the local hockey community as well as the facility. Would local fans be curious about college hockey, in a way that their counterparts from Fort Wayne & Toledo were not? I think there's a decent chance the answer to that is yes.

    In any case, a one game audition sounds like a good idea instead of diving in with a three game tournament level commitment to start. Many less requirements on what needs to be provided, including locker room space and ice time (you just knew I would bring that up, right?).
    Oh yeah.

    But I believe they'd be OK on the locker room space. After all, they're planning on multiple tenants. Without checking, my guess is that Volleyball & Youth Hockey would be wrapped up before a D-1 Hockey regional. So presumably the space would there. For the same reason -- lack of competing events -- I've gotta believe the ice time would also be do doable.

    Last & presumably least, it seems almost self-evident that they'd be able to handle a two team event. And again, staging one exhibition game would be a relatively painless way to find out.

  7. #107
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,825

    Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

    Tangential: Evidently, my “combine Frozen Fours” idea has been discussed and dismissed and tabled for later for exactly the reasons you would expect.

    https://twitter.com/toddmilewski/sta...640922114?s=21

  8. #108
    2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Tangential: Evidently, my “combine Frozen Fours” idea has been discussed and dismissed and tabled for later for exactly the reasons you would expect.

    https://twitter.com/toddmilewski/sta...640922114?s=21
    maybe they will consider shorting the DI season so it ends the weekend before the Final Four. Then a combined championship weekend would probably be doable.

    Sean

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •