2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    St Paul won't host anymore. Arena is too big for what college hockey has evolved into.
    Averages for the last regionals at St Paul: 7248, 9915, 9119, 4217.

That last one had SCSU, Denver, Ferris St and BU which isn’t a great combo for attendance. Even if you assume that’s not an anomaly, your overall average is still more than any of the other sites currently in some sort of rotation. Every location that has ever hosted more than 1 regional is averaging fewer fans.

So, no, St Paul is not too big for a regional. If anything, it is the highest ceiling for attendance.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Averages for the last regionals at St Paul: 7248, 9915, 9119, 4217.

That last one had SCSU, Denver, Ferris St and BU which isn’t a great combo for attendance. Even if you assume that’s not an anomaly, your overall average is still more than any of the other sites currently in some sort of rotation. Every location that has ever hosted more than 1 regional is averaging fewer fans.

So, no, St Paul is not too big for a regional. If anything, it is the highest ceiling for attendance.
      Everything I've heard is they are not interested anymore.

Comment

Everything I've heard is they are not interested anymore.
        I’m not privy to any of that for any of the sites, I’m just making educated guesses based on previous attendance figures.

If they aren’t interested, they aren’t interested.

And I could see it. Might be they’d rather see if they can sell out a few arena concerts instead of getting 23000 or so tickets sold over a 4-5 day window.

This would be the advantage of allowing campus arenas to bid: Mariucci, REA, and to a lesser extent the Kohl Center won’t have that problem.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

I have no idea. I’m working on the assumption that they’ll keep cycling Providence/Manchester and Bridgeport/Worcester.

If any of those four are out, I’d put Albany, Rochester and maybe Allentown on the list of alternative locations (with Albany as the first choice).
          My interpretation of all the rumors collectively is that they ended up swapping locations for a year. So Providence couldn't do 2021 but Bridgeport couldn't do 2022 and Providence could, or something to similar effect, so it all evened out in the end.

Comment

I have no idea. I’m working on the assumption that they’ll keep cycling Providence/Manchester and Bridgeport/Worcester.

If any of those four are out, I’d put Albany, Rochester and maybe Allentown on the list of alternative locations (with Albany as the first choice).
            Albany can’t host until at least 2020. They have the basketball regionals next year, and they are also considering bidding for the NYS state championships which are around the same time as the NCAA regionals in 2021. I’ve long thought that the Glens Falls Civic Center would be an excellent host, but I don’t know if they have an adequate press area.
            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              said no one, ever!!!

LOL. My god that is true.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's actually 2020 and 2021 that will be announced this week.

Comment

Northeast: Portland, Maine
                  East: Worcester

Comment

Was at the Allentown regional this year, and they announced on the scoreboard during the UMD/QU game that Allentown would be a regional home again next year. Assuming its the MW regional again?

Comment

Originally posted by IronRange View Post
                      Was at the Allentown regional this year, and they announced on the scoreboard during the UMD/QU game that Allentown would be a regional home again next year. Assuming its the MW regional again?
                      I wouldn't assume that because it made no sense as the MW regional.

Comment

You never know, maybe Hartford put in a bid

Comment

Originally posted by terrier1976 View Post
                          You never know, maybe Hartford put in a bid
                          Doubtful, they cant even handle the crowds they get for BBall and hockey, also the AHL factor with the Wolfpack.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

I wouldn't assume that because it made no sense as the MW regional.
                            It makes sense if people show up, which they have in Allentown.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                              Doubtful, they cant even handle the crowds they get for BBall and hockey, also the AHL factor with the Wolfpack.
                              The hoops regionals were a mess...Paper towels overflowing in the bathrooms, urine smell, didn't get to my seats till 5 minutes into a game due to the large crowds...
                              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Beyond 2021, place all four regionals east of the Hudson. Every year. Albany, on the river, can be eligible. Since it's been deemed that the New England/AHL Rink regionals work, let's just go with it.

If you're from New England, you're all set. If not, you've got a viable option. Book a flight into the New England city of your choice. Buy far in advance to get a decent deal. Then, no matter which regional your team winds up in, it's an easy drive from the airport of your choice.

Best airport if you want to limit driving? Perhaps Hartford. Annual trip to Boston? Obvious advantages.

Inexpensive travel for Western fans? Not exactly. But perhaps doable. Which can't be said of the status quo, which often demands full price air fare on three days notice.

Comment

Working...
                                X