Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 101 to 108 of 108

Thread: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

  1. #101
    It's A Great Day For Hockey
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Titletown, USA
    Posts
    4,378

    Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Not a lot of large capacity rinks in the USHL.

    Green Bay and Sioux Falls have hosted. Sioux City and Central Illinois are the only others that seat more than 6000 in their arenas.
    One issue is the timing. The regionals are near the end of the regular season for the USHL. I think most teams want to try have as many home dates at the end for the 'playoff push' - and because attendance is just better in March than early October.

    It doesn't make much sense, but I wonder if Wisconsin would get a bid if it offered to host at the Coliseum (it's former home, also former USHL home). Smaller capacity than the Herb Garden, albeit a (IMO) not-so-great place to watch a game.

    Also, the Indiana Farmers Coliseum in Indianapolis was a USHL site. Holds about 6,800, I think. The Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs, Iowa, is a former Lancers home and holds about 6,700. Again, could be similar for UNO to host there? Not the home rink...

    But other AHL rinks could work: Rockford (6,000), Milwaukee (9,500), Des Moines (15,000) - but, again, can't force places to bid.
    Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 04-20-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 2019
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-18, 2019
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

  2. #102
    cetihcra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Denver, Colorado -- VT awhile back
    Posts
    2,577
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Is still 80mph on the interstate between Denver & Ft. Collins??
    75 is now the max speed limit in CO, including from the north Denver burbs to Fort Fun, and beyond.

    r

  3. #103
    Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    30,788
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Is still 80mph on the interstate between Denver & Ft. Collins??
    Gotta go to rural Utah and Nevada to get posted 80 now. Might be some in 'Zona still.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Gotta go to rural Utah and Nevada to get posted 80 now. Might be some in 'Zona still.
    Wyoming has 80 on I-25. Maybe the other interstates too.

  5. #105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of Schottenstein Center
    Posts
    5,959

    Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by thebrain View Post
    Xtreme Arena in Coralville (Iowa City) is under construction. It will be home to the University of Iowa volleyball team, U of I’s club hockey team and the community hockey programs. It opens August 2020 and holds 5,100.

    https://coralville.org/765/Xtream-Arena
    Congratulations on the new rink. Getting a facility of this nature built is a significant accomplishment.

    A regional at the new rink is a cool idea, and might just work. As a B1G college town, and a plausible candidate for a D-1 team, interest in Iowa City might be greater than in the AHL cities that have been previously tried in the West. The neutrality of the site is beyond question, yet it's driveable for most all of the Central Time Zone schools.

    If I were representing University of Iowa Athletics though, I might have a different event at the top of my wish list. As I understand it, the Hall of Fame Game is an annual event held early in the season. The purpose is to raise money for the Hall, but I have to believe that the financial demands placed on the host would be far less than a D-1 regional. Similarly, you'd expect ticket prices to be lower than at a regional.

    Anyhow, if you could get two teams from the B1G to square off in Iowa City, and market it as an audition for the new rink, you might really have something. And should the audition go well, maybe a regional bid could be the next step.

    The participating teams would also have an incentive. Such games are considered non-conference, and don't count against your season total of games.

    Disclaimer: OK, Iowa City isn't Vegas. But in the usual year, IIRC, the game is much closer to the D-1 Hockey campuses in the Upper Midwest.

  6. #106
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Beginning to plan for the 99th season of Tech hockey
    Posts
    2,878

    Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Congratulations on the new rink. Getting a facility of this nature built is a significant accomplishment.

    A regional at the new rink is a cool idea, and might just work. As a B1G college town, and a plausible candidate for a D-1 team, interest in Iowa City might be greater than in the AHL cities that have been previously tried in the West. The neutrality of the site is beyond question, yet it's driveable for most all of the Central Time Zone schools.

    If I were representing University of Iowa Athletics though, I might have a different event at the top of my wish list. As I understand it, the Hall of Fame Game is an annual event held early in the season. The purpose is to raise money for the Hall, but I have to believe that the financial demands placed on the host would be far less than a D-1 regional. Similarly, you'd expect ticket prices to be lower than at a regional.

    Anyhow, if you could get two teams from the B1G to square off in Iowa City, and market it as an audition for the new rink, you might really have something. And should the audition go well, maybe a regional bid could be the next step.

    The participating teams would also have an incentive. Such games are considered non-conference, and don't count against your season total of games.

    Disclaimer: OK, Iowa City isn't Vegas. But in the usual year, IIRC, the game is much closer to the D-1 Hockey campuses in the Upper Midwest.
    A Hall of Fame game is an interesting idea.

    The question is who you're trying to attract. An in-season game is easier to plan for the fans of the participating teams (+) but doesn't have the importance appeal of an NCAA tournament game (-). But if you're trying to target the local fans instead, that changes the equation. In any case, a one game audition sounds like a good idea instead of diving in with a three game tournament level commitment to start. Many less requirements on what needs to be provided, including locker room space and ice time (you just knew I would bring that up, right?).

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of Schottenstein Center
    Posts
    5,959

    Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    A Hall of Fame game is an interesting idea.

    The question is who you're trying to attract. An in-season game is easier to plan for the fans of the participating teams (+) but doesn't have the importance appeal of an NCAA tournament game (-).
    Previous Hall of Fame Games should give us an idea of how many fans would travel from the participating schools. Understood that the Vegas game was an anomaly.

    But if you're trying to target the local fans instead, that changes the equation.
    Since we're talking teams from the B1G, Football would have to be taken into account. You'd probably want a weekend when Hawkeye Football was on the road, for example. But yes, you'd be auditioning the local hockey community as well as the facility. Would local fans be curious about college hockey, in a way that their counterparts from Fort Wayne & Toledo were not? I think there's a decent chance the answer to that is yes.

    In any case, a one game audition sounds like a good idea instead of diving in with a three game tournament level commitment to start. Many less requirements on what needs to be provided, including locker room space and ice time (you just knew I would bring that up, right?).
    Oh yeah.

    But I believe they'd be OK on the locker room space. After all, they're planning on multiple tenants. Without checking, my guess is that Volleyball & Youth Hockey would be wrapped up before a D-1 Hockey regional. So presumably the space would there. For the same reason -- lack of competing events -- I've gotta believe the ice time would also be do doable.

    Last & presumably least, it seems almost self-evident that they'd be able to handle a two team event. And again, staging one exhibition game would be a relatively painless way to find out.

  8. #108
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,481

    Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

    Tangential: Evidently, my “combine Frozen Fours” idea has been discussed and dismissed and tabled for later for exactly the reasons you would expect.

    https://twitter.com/toddmilewski/sta...640922114?s=21

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •