No announcement yet.

2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
    I'm shocked to see Albany just because there had been nothing reported that the arena even bid.

But those who hadn't been there in a few years will be pleasently surprised. There's been over $20M in upgrades to the arena - the atrium/entrance is much improved and now enclosed. It looks nothing like it did before. The concessions have all new facades. Most of the bathrooms have been re-done.

There's also an attached convention center to the arena that was not open when hockey was here in 2016. It will be great for fan fests and the like.
    Albany is a good site. Within a drive for any Eastern team, a nice-enough facility, and very handy to Pearl Street for between-games food and beverages.

Not much to dislike about the experience there.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      I am curious how Allentown would do if it was the host for the East regional. They’ve done well as it is.
      Most likely worse than Manchester, Worcester or Providence typically do.

Comment

Loveland is actually a pretty cool spot for it. It's a nice drive up from Denver, and for those who don't want an hour in the car, it's a quick drive down from Fort Collins. If I were still living in Denver, I'd definitely plan on being there. Sadly, getting downstates is too costly and time consuming to be realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
          Loveland is actually a pretty cool spot for it. It's a nice drive up from Denver, and for those who don't want an hour in the car, it's a quick drive down from Fort Collins. If I were still living in Denver, I'd definitely plan on being there. Sadly, getting downstates is too costly and time consuming to be realistic.
          Is still 80mph on the interstate between Denver & Ft. Collins??
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Albany is a good site. Within a drive for any Eastern team, a nice-enough facility, and very handy to Pearl Street for between-games food and beverages.

Not to mention all the improvements made to the arena in the past year, as well as the building of the Capital Center. Much improved since the last time they hosted. Oh, and the fact they lost their AHL team, so I’m sure that this is an audition to get a team back to the arena.
            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-...sites-2020-and

2020:
              NE: Worcester
              East: Albany
              MW: Allentown
              West: Loveland

2021:
              NE: Manchester
              East: Bridgeport
              MW: Fargo
              West: Loveland

If you need any more indication that the NCAA cares more about neutrality than people actually showing up…
              Personally I didn't need any further evidence or persuading. But of course you're correct.

Allentown is the least objectionable location, IMO.
              It fits the current rules & policies as they now stand. I do wonder about going to the well for a third consecutive year. The novelty has to be gone in the local area. If Allentown has decent luck with the assigned teams, it should once again prove to be "acceptable." Poor luck? We'll see.

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              If true I assume it's just a continuation of the NCAA policy that if a non-school site bids, they won't consider an on-campus site.
              Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              That has to be it. They will accept on campus bids but will only pick them if there are no other options.
              I read the decision on Madison (and if applicable Grand Forks) the same way.

A trip to Kohl Center would have been tempting. But I'm certainly not surprised it wasn't selected.

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              Until the NCAA changes what it wants from a national tournament the system we have is the system we'll keep.
              Yes; and until those favoring change unite behind a coherent alternative, the status quo is "wanted" by default.

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              Agreed. If one assumes the current rules & policies, Albany is a fine choice. The arena is too big to be ideal for tournament atmosphere, but we're operating under the assumption that the in-arena experience doesn't really matter. Neutrality is served; I don't think any single school is capable of "taking over" that arena. With the right set of teams, there's upside potential on the financial side. Even with poor luck on the tournament field, it's very unlikely that Albany would have no close-by teams at all, and thus be a financial bloodbath.

Big Picture? Small Screen:
              For me, this set of venues means another two years of viewing the regionals on TV. It'll be OK; I'm used to it. Loveland may even help the TV viewer. With the Mountain Time Zone in the mix, that provides some options for reducing overlap between the games.

I am concerned about Year 2 in Loveland. No DU + less novelty could mean disaster at the turnstiles. But pairing that selection with Fargo provides a financial safety net, assuming that the UND fanbase is once again willing to subsidize the current format en masse. Note that giving the Dakotas a year off in 2020 may serve to whet the appetite for 2021.
              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 04-21-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

With Yale and SHU as co-hosts in Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport in 2021, what would the NCAA do if both teams make the field? Unlike in past years where Yale and Fairfield co-hosted, as of this past season the Webster Bank Arena is SHU's home rink. Highly unlikely scenario, but who knows?
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

Not a lot of large capacity rinks in the USHL.

Green Bay and Sioux Falls have hosted. Sioux City and Central Illinois are the only others that seat more than 6000 in their arenas.
                  Xtreme Arena in Coralville (Iowa City) is under construction. It will be home to the University of Iowa volleyball team, U of I’s club hockey team and the community hockey programs. It opens August 2020 and holds 5,100.

http://coralville.org/765/Xtream-Arena

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    I honestly couldn't tell you.

Comment

• Re: 2020 Regional sites - any predictions?

Not a lot of large capacity rinks in the USHL.

Green Bay and Sioux Falls have hosted. Sioux City and Central Illinois are the only others that seat more than 6000 in their arenas.
                      One issue is the timing. The regionals are near the end of the regular season for the USHL. I think most teams want to try have as many home dates at the end for the 'playoff push' - and because attendance is just better in March than early October.

It doesn't make much sense, but I wonder if Wisconsin would get a bid if it offered to host at the Coliseum (it's former home, also former USHL home). Smaller capacity than the Herb Garden, albeit a (IMO) not-so-great place to watch a game.

Also, the Indiana Farmers Coliseum in Indianapolis was a USHL site. Holds about 6,800, I think. The Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs, Iowa, is a former Lancers home and holds about 6,700. Again, could be similar for UNO to host there? Not the home rink...

But other AHL rinks could work: Rockford (6,000), Milwaukee (9,500), Des Moines (15,000) - but, again, can't force places to bid.
                      Last edited by GB Puck Fan; 04-20-2019, 06:21 PM.
                      St. Norbert College Green Knights
                      NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                      NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                      NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                      ---
                      SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        75 is now the max speed limit in CO, including from the north Denver burbs to Fort Fun, and beyond.

r

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Gotta go to rural Utah and Nevada to get posted 80 now. Might be some in 'Zona still.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Gotta go to rural Utah and Nevada to get posted 80 now. Might be some in 'Zona still.
                            Wyoming has 80 on I-25. Maybe the other interstates too.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                              Xtreme Arena in Coralville (Iowa City) is under construction. It will be home to the University of Iowa volleyball team, U of I’s club hockey team and the community hockey programs. It opens August 2020 and holds 5,100.

https://coralville.org/765/Xtream-Arena
                              Congratulations on the new rink. Getting a facility of this nature built is a significant accomplishment.

A regional at the new rink is a cool idea, and might just work. As a B1G college town, and a plausible candidate for a D-1 team, interest in Iowa City might be greater than in the AHL cities that have been previously tried in the West. The neutrality of the site is beyond question, yet it's driveable for most all of the Central Time Zone schools.

If I were representing University of Iowa Athletics though, I might have a different event at the top of my wish list. As I understand it, the Hall of Fame Game is an annual event held early in the season. The purpose is to raise money for the Hall, but I have to believe that the financial demands placed on the host would be far less than a D-1 regional. Similarly, you'd expect ticket prices to be lower than at a regional.

Anyhow, if you could get two teams from the B1G to square off in Iowa City, and market it as an audition for the new rink, you might really have something. And should the audition go well, maybe a regional bid could be the next step.

The participating teams would also have an incentive. Such games are considered non-conference, and don't count against your season total of games.

Disclaimer: OK, Iowa City isn't Vegas. But in the usual year, IIRC, the game is much closer to the D-1 Hockey campuses in the Upper Midwest.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                Congratulations on the new rink. Getting a facility of this nature built is a significant accomplishment.

A regional at the new rink is a cool idea, and might just work. As a B1G college town, and a plausible candidate for a D-1 team, interest in Iowa City might be greater than in the AHL cities that have been previously tried in the West. The neutrality of the site is beyond question, yet it's driveable for most all of the Central Time Zone schools.

If I were representing University of Iowa Athletics though, I might have a different event at the top of my wish list. As I understand it, the Hall of Fame Game is an annual event held early in the season. The purpose is to raise money for the Hall, but I have to believe that the financial demands placed on the host would be far less than a D-1 regional. Similarly, you'd expect ticket prices to be lower than at a regional.

Anyhow, if you could get two teams from the B1G to square off in Iowa City, and market it as an audition for the new rink, you might really have something. And should the audition go well, maybe a regional bid could be the next step.

The participating teams would also have an incentive. Such games are considered non-conference, and don't count against your season total of games.

Disclaimer: OK, Iowa City isn't Vegas. But in the usual year, IIRC, the game is much closer to the D-1 Hockey campuses in the Upper Midwest.
                                A Hall of Fame game is an interesting idea.

The question is who you're trying to attract. An in-season game is easier to plan for the fans of the participating teams (+) but doesn't have the importance appeal of an NCAA tournament game (-). But if you're trying to target the local fans instead, that changes the equation. In any case, a one game audition sounds like a good idea instead of diving in with a three game tournament level commitment to start. Many less requirements on what needs to be provided, including locker room space and ice time (you just knew I would bring that up, right?).

Comment

Working...
                                X