Reparations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    My grandparents came through Ellis Island, by the process, became citizens, in the early 20th century.

But I'm to pick up the bill for these (admittedly terrible) things that happened before my family's arrival?
    Yes. You still benefit from it.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

My grandparents came through Ellis Island, by the process, became citizens, in the early 20th century.

But I'm to pick up the bill for these (admittedly terrible) things that happened before my family's arrival?
      You won’t pay it. The US government will
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Re: Reparations

That's not how reparations work. You are no more and no less "America" than the descendants of the slaves. The US harmed these people -- formally, officially, legally. Now the US can make good on it.

You are saying the equivalent of "you can't sue a company for wrongdoing because that will affect workers at that company who didn't do anything and might even have been hired after the wrongdoing was finished."

No. That's not how this works.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          That's not how reparations work. You are no more and no less "America" than the descendants of the slaves. The US harmed these people -- formally, officially, legally. Now the US can make good on it.

You are saying the equivalent of "you can't sue a company for wrongdoing because that will affect workers at that company who didn't do anything and might even have been hired after the wrongdoing was finished."

No. That's not how this works.
          So isn't the bulk of the "claim" then really against Britain and France? They're the mofo's who enslaved them and brought them here.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            So isn't the bulk of the "claim" then really against Britain and France? They're the mofo's who enslaved them and brought them here.
            The US inherited (and honored) the states' liabilities at the Founding. These are unpaid state debts.

If you want to bring suit against GB and FR be my guest. That's a different claim.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Now the US can make good on it.
              But the US is ... you (and SJ and me, et al).

Please supply your credit card number so your monthly portion can be charged. Thank you.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Please supply your credit card number so your monthly portion can be charged. Thank you.
                In fact Kepler can be like buffet and pay extra

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  The only current livin* slaves are Chinese sex workers blowing Krafty Bob
                  Tell that to Mauritania.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The US inherited (and honored) the states' liabilities at the Founding. These are unpaid state debts.

If you want to bring suit against GB and FR be my guest. That's a different claim.
                    I guess I was unaware that the US government formally brought in slaves. Had been under the impression that it was individuals and companies.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Tell that to Mauritania.
                      Is that a city in Minnesota??

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Is that a city in Minnesota??
                        Western African nation, near the Atlantic, towards the north. While they've officially outlawed slavery at the national level, the government looks the other way. Slavery is common there.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I did when I filed my taxes. So did you. That's how sh-t gets paid for.

Did you miss the part where even the descendants of slaves will pay? That's how countries work.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            Tell that to Mauritania.
                            The sister ship to the Lusitania?

< joke here about going down >
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              I guess I was unaware that the US government formally brought in slaves. Had been under the impression that it was individuals and companies.
                              State and federal government supported slavery. Our military was used to support the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade the same way it's used today to prop up the profits of extraction industry corporations. With such things as the Fugitive Slave Law they criminalized opposition to slavery.

Slavery was a public institution, not just a private one.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 04-12-2019, 02:41 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

So when do we make reparations to Japanese-Americans and German-Americans wrongfully by the USG detained during WWII?

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X