X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    This one seems pretty cut-and-dried.

How does Maryland have a Republican Governor though? Between Baltimore and the Beltway 'burbs, you'd think the Ds would have a lock on power in Annapolis.
    Follow an unpopular Dem governor who never met a tax or fee he didn't raise.

Also, the legislature is overwhelmingly D. The legislature can override any veto so the effect of a GOP governor is minimized.

If you want an insight into MD politics, check out the race & election for speaker of the MD house.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: The States: North Dakota is Still the Worst

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Also also: a lot of MD Dem voters care more about their property values than civil rights.
      That makes sense. Too much of their retirements riding upon real estate. It's a common affliction of Boomers.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        That makes sense. Too much of their retirements riding upon real estate. It's a common affliction of Boomers.
        MD taxes retirement, PA and NC don't
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Cant see that holding up...
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

But it will be tied up in court past November 2020
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              Correct-a-mundo, and that's the goal - one more round of voter suppression and election fraud by Republicans in Florida.

Comment

Also see why Ds are hesitant on impeachment. Let the glitch solve itself. If it doesn't? Then proceedings begin.....
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Trying to decide if my shock at the 500k figure should be, "Florida has 500,000 felons?" or "Florida has only 500,000 felons?".

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Trying to decide if my shock at the 500k figure should be, "Florida has 500,000 felons?" or "Florida has only 500,000 felons?".
                    “Land of Losers”
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      I believe they have four million. Presumably the 500k is either those likely to vote or those with outstanding fees.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                        Also see why Ds are hesitant on impeachment. Let the glitch solve itself. If it doesn't? Then proceedings begin.....
                        Honestly, if trump is re-elected there is an almost zero chance impeachment would go through. And to be even more brutally honest, if he’s re-elected then the people have spoken.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Which is the whole point.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                            I believe they have four million. Presumably the 500k is either those likely to vote or those with outstanding fees.
                            Perhaps the law says only the black ones have to pay? That would at least be more honest of the GOP.

The rich are fine and the poor can't vote. How can any court in this country -- even a GOP joke one; even this SCOTUS -- not decide that that is unconstitutional? Does anybody have standing to put a stay on it until a court decision?
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Christie Brinkley
                              Just catching up - golf clap for you.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Perhaps the law says only the black ones have to pay? That would at least be more honest of the GOP.

The rich are fine and the poor can't vote. How can any court in this country -- even a GOP joke one; even this SCOTUS -- not decide that that is unconstitutional? Does anybody have standing to put a stay on it until a court decision?
                                It actually might be an interesting legal question.

The actual text of the amendment, with the relevant part underlined, reads as follows:

No. 4 Constitutional Amendment Article VI, Section 4. Voting Restoration Amendment This amendment restores the voting rights of Floridians with felony convictions after they complete all terms of their sentence including parole or probation. The amendment would not apply to those convicted of murder or sexual offenses, who would continue to be permanently barred from voting unless the Governor and Cabinet vote to restore their voting rights on a case by case basis.

I guess the question will be what is included in "all terms of their sentence."

It certainly seems like a fine, especially in lieu of jail time, would be included. On the other hand, "restitution" certainly seems to be more like some sort of civil remedy payable to the victims of the crime.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X