X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The States: North Dakota is Still the Worst

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I think we can differentiate between a monument honoring someone and historical places.

A statue honoring Robert E. Lee is different than his house.
    A statue honoring Hitler won't be found in Germany, but you can still visit historical Nazi sites.
    For one thing, quite a few of those statues were put up during the Jim Crow era, pretty transparently in order to intimidate black people.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
      For one thing, quite a few of those statues were put up during the Jim Crow era, pretty transparently in order to scare black people.
      This is important. They were "you may be free but you're still not our equals" messaging.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

For one thing, quite a few of those statues were put up during the Jim Crow era, pretty transparently in order to intimidate black people.
        Quite a few? Wasn’t it north of 75%?
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          I'm saying if the people in the area want to rename the lake to Bde Maka Ska that's fine, go for it. If you're stanning for keeping it named after a guy who fought for slavery like Rube is or as he's done with confederate statues then that's pretty pathetic. (and yes Calhoun didn't technically fight in the war so let's not get pendantic about the word "fight" here)

As for native american treatment Calhoun checks that box too.
          Whoa, I don't recall standing FOR CSA statues. I might have said (I don't recall) that a bigger deal was made of them than what was needed, but that's about it. So you can stop right there, please.

I do support leaving some monuments/paintings/etc up with updated plaques on what the person's character was, to learn from history (IIRC there was a painting in the St Paul capitol that was going to do that, or thought about doing that?
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
            Whoa, I don't recall standing FOR CSA statues. I might have said (I don't recall) that a bigger deal was made of them than what was needed, but that's about it. So you can stop right there, please.

I do support leaving some monuments/paintings/etc up with updated plaques on what the person's character was, to learn from history (IIRC there was a painting in the St Paul capitol that was going to do that, or thought about doing that?
            Plaque updates will probably get blocked by the knucks as being "hyperbole" or "political propaganda". Can't be giving the kiddos the full story.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Plaque updates will probably get blocked by the knucks as being "hyperbole" or "political propaganda". Can't be giving the kiddos the full story.
              Yeah, it's better just to erase it. That is what drives me nuts about these things.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Yeah, it's better just to erase it. That is what drives me nuts about these things.
                Taking down statues does not erase the history. They do, in some cases, contribute to generational trauma.

Comment

Taking down statues does not erase the history. They do, in some cases, contribute to generational trauma.
                  They erase it, because they sure don't teach much of that stuff in school. Hence the idea of putting up a differently worded plaque by the thing the person is named after.....

Comment

They erase it, because they sure don't teach much of that stuff in school. Hence the idea of putting up a differently worded plaque by the thing the person is named after.....
                    mmm... just can't agree there.

Comment

mmm... just can't agree there.
                      That's fine. It's a tough issue to even discuss rationally, much less agree to disagree on, etc.

Comment

That's fine. It's a tough issue to even discuss rationally, much less agree to disagree on, etc.
                        agreed

It also helps that while I have a distinct opinion, if I had to give a percentage of how much I care about this issue, it would almost certainly be a 1-digit number.

Comment

agreed

It also helps that while I have a distinct opinion, if I had to give a percentage of how much I care about this issue, it would almost certainly be a 1-digit number.
                          I look at it long term: how long before someone wants to change a name because they were anti-LGBT, or find something out in that person's past that doesn't sit well by today's standards (see: Kate Smith). How slippery is that slope?

Comment

I look at it long term: how long before someone wants to change a name because they were anti-LGBT, or find something out in that person's past that doesn't sit well by today's standards (see: Kate Smith). How slippery is that slope?
                            My inclination is to think that it's not very slippery. I'm also ok with societal values changing, and the baggage that accompanies that change.

Some people will survive the changes with acknowledgement of craziness and recognition that their accomplishments outweigh that craziness. Thomas Jefferson comes to mind. Ben Franklin. The composer Wagner does ok. Most humans are relegated to the dustbin of history. That's appropriate. I'm honestly ok with someone being thus relegated because they pushed some crazy nonsense. Anyone with a conscience, at any time in history, knew that treating people like animals because of [fill in the blank] was not kind.

Comment

My inclination is to think that it's not very slippery. I'm also ok with societal values changing, and the baggage that accompanies that change.

Some people will survive the changes with acknowledgement of craziness and recognition that their accomplishments outweigh that craziness. Thomas Jefferson comes to mind. Ben Franklin. The composer Wagner does ok. Most humans are relegated to the dustbin of history. That's appropriate. I'm honestly ok with someone being thus relegated because they pushed some crazy nonsense. Anyone with a conscience, at any time in history, knew that treating people like animals because of [fill in the blank] was not kind.
                              And that's why I originally brought up Teddy Roosevelt. How many things does he have his name on?

If a name is to be taken down for (reasons)...how does one judge accomplishments > craziness? That changes with the times, all the time... different standards are set. It's always fluctuating.

Comment

agreed

This. It's something to be dealt with over time, and by vote of the communities that have such monuments. In the meantime, let's enforce a proper American history curriculum to do our best to educate the youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X