Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 Transfers

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
    Taylor Kirwan from Lindenwood to Colgate. Rising sophomore defenseman.
    Geez, is the rest of women's hockey the EZAC's minor league? At some point a player's commitment to a coach and a program has to mean something. I get if you a player stuck behind someone like OSU's goalie, but these are not the types of players. I'd love to know how that portal works.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      At some point a player's commitment to a coach and a program has to mean something.
      With the rules on recruiting the very young having been tightened up, it's time they did something to stem the tide on transfers. Imposing a one year "sit" rule across the board would be a good start.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
        With the rules on recruiting the very young having been tightened up, it's time they did something to stem the tide on transfers. Imposing a one year "sit" rule across the board would be a good start.
        I’d agree if all scholarships were guaranteed for 4 years but schools and coaches are not always loyal to the players so why should the players?

Comment

I’d agree if all scholarships were guaranteed for 4 years but schools and coaches are not always loyal to the players so why should the players?
          If "schools and coaches are not always loyal to the players" wouldn't which schools that commonly take away scholarships develop a reputation that would negatively impact their recruiting? Perhaps you could identify the schools that routinely take away scholarships before a player's eligibility has run its course?
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            If "schools and coaches are not always loyal to the players" wouldn't which schools that commonly take away scholarships develop a reputation that would negatively impact their recruiting? Perhaps you could identify the schools that routinely take away scholarships before a player's eligibility has run its course?
            In practice, this isn't the way things work out. I don't know about hockey schools, but there have been football programs that are notorious for over-recruiting and then running off the ones that they want to get rid of. Texas under Darrel Royal. Currently, Alabama is well known for doing this. Other SEC teams do it as well. It doesn't hurt their recruiting, because 17-year old athletes who have been the stars of their high school teams and listened to people telling them how great they are are prone to assuming that they won't be the ones who aren't good enough.

And guaranteeing the scholarship doesn't actually solve this problem, because it's still possible for a coach to run a player off the team. A guaranteed scholarship is voided if a player voluntarily quits the team. But it is fairly easy for a coach to make life sufficiently unpleasant for a player that they do voluntarily leave the program.

This goes back to the fact that the power imbalances in college athletics are extreme. Coaches have the authority to all but run the athletes' lives. There are all sorts of reforms that could be made that would alleviate this, starting with but not limited to guaranteeing scholarships with some sort of independent arbitration to judge whether a departure is truly voluntary. For pretty obvious reasons, the NCAA and its member schools do not want to give up this power. They like it this way. Until they are willing to change, transferring is the only option athletes have for asserting their own agency in situations that they don't like. I am absolutely opposed to taking this away from them under these conditions.

As fans, we need to get over ourselves. It's not about us.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              And these transfers will probably take away a scholarship from an existing player so the transferring player gets one, so not only are they screwing their former team by leaving them in the lurch, they are screwing a player or players on their new team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                And these transfers will probably take away a scholarship from an existing player so the transferring player gets one, so not only are they screwing their former team by leaving them in the lurch, they are screwing a player or players on their new team.
                That’s not necessarily the case. Also- if a young woman is transferring during her college career - it’s a big decision for her. Leaving teammates and friends etc. She is clearly unhappy for whatever reason. Why can’t she transfer? Or have to sit out a year? If you are unhappy at your job, you can leave and get a new job without sitting out a year. D1 athletics is essentially a job. I disagree with them owing loyalty to the point where they must remain in a situation where they are unhappy. That’s not healthy for her or ultimately the team.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Rightnut;6808121]That’s not necessarily the case. Also- if a young woman is transferring during her college career - it’s a big decision for her. Leaving teammates and friends etc. She is clearly unhappy for whatever reason. Why can’t she transfer? Or have to sit out a year? If you are unhappy at your job, you can leave and get a new job without sitting out a year. D1 athletics is essentially a job. I disagree with them owing loyalty to the point where they must remain in a situation where they are unhappy. That’s not healthy for her or ultimately the team.[/QUOTE
                  Parents pay for prep school for three years and then get a full ride have just paid for their scholarship upfront.
                  Parents paying for prep school and then only getting partials, haven't really received a scholly when you look at moneys spent over 7 yrs. Hmmm. Parents paying for prep school to only go D three. Oh my. The Parents need to stop the insanity, not the girls. It's easy to transfer when you are not on a full ride. So many schools have gone to you pay for two we will pay for two. It's the girls that are on you pay for two we pay for two that is my guess that are getting the short end. After two years, the coach says sorry we can't give you anything. The parents won't admit it happens because it is part of their identity, that their daughter got a scholly to play d one hockey. That's how they are doing it in my opinion.
                  Last edited by Reddington; 05-21-2019, 09:15 AM.

Comment

That’s not necessarily the case. Also- if a young woman is transferring during her college career - it’s a big decision for her. Leaving teammates and friends etc. She is clearly unhappy for whatever reason. Why can’t she transfer? Or have to sit out a year? If you are unhappy at your job, you can leave and get a new job without sitting out a year. D1 athletics is essentially a job. I disagree with them owing loyalty to the point where they must remain in a situation where they are unhappy. That’s not healthy for her or ultimately the team.
                    I highly doubt anyone has scholarship money not utilized at this point. There's no one committing to play this season. So someone IS either getting booted or losing some of their scholarship money. If Watts end up @ UW, someone IS losing.

As far as being unhappy, I can't fault them for wanting to leave, but something can be said for waiting out the storm in a current situation and see what's on the other side, right? Most times it's not as hopeless as it seems. It builds character and going to college is a character building exercise and not just a book learning event. Sometimes we build up things in our noggins to be more than they are just to justify our decision. It's pretty easy to bail on your current deal when where you are going is a huge upgrade. I bet if the only school with money available was St. Cloud, Watts and Lornigan (sp) are staying at BC.

Comment

I highly doubt anyone has scholarship money not utilized at this point. There's no one committing to play this season. So someone IS either getting booted or losing some of their scholarship money. If Watts end up @ UW, someone IS losing.

As far as being unhappy, I can't fault them for wanting to leave, but something can be said for waiting out the storm in a current situation and see what's on the other side, right? Most times it's not as hopeless as it seems. It builds character and going to college is a character building exercise and not just a book learning event. Sometimes we build up things in our noggins to be more than they are just to justify our decision. It's pretty easy to bail on your current deal when where you are going is a huge upgrade. I bet if the only school with money available was St. Cloud, Watts and Lornigan (sp) are staying at BC.
                      I don't disagree with you here. I would hope people see it through and grow. But I don't think you can legislate that decision and force people to stay somewhere they don't want to be. They have words for those situations. And when you are the person in the middle and can't see the end result, its not such an easy decision, especially when you are 20 years old and don't have a lot of life experience to fall back on. I guess our difference is that I value freedom of choice and you don't. (that was a joke by the way so don't everyone get up on me!).

Comment

• Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                        I don't disagree with you here. I would hope people see it through and grow. But I don't think you can legislate that decision and force people to stay somewhere they don't want to be. They have words for those situations. And when you are the person in the middle and can't see the end result, its not such an easy decision, especially when you are 20 years old and don't have a lot of life experience to fall back on. I guess our difference is that I value freedom of choice and you don't. (that was a joke by the way so don't everyone get up on me!).
                        You are an idiot. These kids are getting a free ride and we should treat them as though the are enslaved. You have a major distortion going on. Clean it up. And stop trying to bully others with such idiocy.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                          You are an idiot. These kids are getting a free ride and we should treat them as though the are enslaved. You have a major distortion going on. Clean it up. And stop trying to bully others with such idiocy.
                          I hope you are kidding or else I may have a different opinion on who the idiot is.

Comment

Kidding may not be the right word. But I'm getting a positive reading on my sarcasm meter.

Comment

LOL. These players end up where they want to be as Freshmen. They did their homework and research all through HS, they fielded multiple offers and in the end committed to a coach and a school on their own, it was their choice where they ended up. They got forced into nothing. We both value freedom, I value loyalty and commitment more than you, and that's ok.

Comment

LOL. These players end up where they want to be as Freshmen. They did their homework and research all through HS, they fielded multiple offers and in the end committed to a coach and a school on their own, it was their choice where they ended up. They got forced into nothing. We both value freedom, I value loyalty and commitment more than you, and that's ok.
                                Honest question: do you feel the same way about their commitment level if the coach leaves after a year or two? This happens all the time (especially in D3!).

Comment

Working...
                                X