Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 Transfers

Originally posted by hockeydad23 View Post
    A major reason University’s don’t want athletes to be considered employees, in addition to having to pay them, is worker’s compensation. Imagine the premiums schools would pay and athletic injuries of which there are many in every sport would be very very costly!
    It is my understanding that when an athlete is injured that all medical costs of the injury are covered by the schools and any athletic aid the player was receiving is continued for as long as they remain in school. For most players that fully recover from their injury these costs paid by the schools are similar. Looking at the reported medical and insurance costs of the 32 public schools for which I have NCAA financial reports for from 2010 through 2018 the overall average annual cost was $508,501 with the median $216,700. That does not include the cost of exhausted eligibility or medical equivalency aid, which I have not tracked, but in 2016 Wisconsin reported a total of 31.69 such cases across all sports, 9.3% of the 339.12 overall athletic aid equivalencies granted. Based on the dollar amount reported that comes to about $1.3 million, plus another $656,407 of non specific athletic aid. Since I specifically cited Wisconsin as an example I will also mention that the school reported almost $2.4 million in medical expenses and/or medical insurance premiums. So that mean for 2016 Wisconsin paid between $2.4 million and $4.3 million due to injuries to athletes.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Most schools that I'm aware of will cover the medical costs associated with an injury, as BU did with Travis Roy. However, they are not under any legal obligation to do so. Again, see the Marc Buoniconti case. And I am not aware of any of them that go beyond that and compensate an athlete with a permanent injury for future lost income potential, as worker's compensation would.

Comment

Most school carry a student athlete accident policy and many also carry a sickness policy as well. Many times, depending on how each school has set it up, the students own health insurance will be primary with the before mentioned policy as a secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
          Most schools that I'm aware of will cover the medical costs associated with an injury, as BU did with Travis Roy. However, they are not under any legal obligation to do so. Again, see the Marc Buoniconti case. And I am not aware of any of them that go beyond that and compensate an athlete with a permanent injury for future lost income potential, as worker's compensation would.
          I agree that the NCAA rules have loopholes which allow schools to weasel out of paying medical costs, still, I believe most honor the commitment to the student-athlete and pay medical costs. Other than the NCAA financial reports is this reported and tracked?

As for lost income potential you then have to determine if the permanent injury prevents the athlete from earning an income in a regular job or if they might have been able to earn income playing a sport professionally. Travis is an extreme case, and there have been others as extreme, but most injuries are less serious. Does any organization track how many injuries there are across the NCAA and how serious they are?

Originally posted by agfire View Post
          Most school carry a student athlete accident policy and many also carry a sickness policy as well. Many times, depending on how each school has set it up, the students own health insurance will be primary with the before mentioned policy as a secondary.
          Based on the NCAA financial reports I have seen I believe a number of schools are self-insured and cover medical costs directly vs carrying a medical insurance policy.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
            Former Merrimack Forward Maddy Burton is transferring to Suffolk.

It'll be interesting to see if she can make an impact in DIII given her DI stats.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
              It'll be interesting to see if she can make an impact in DIII given her DI stats.
              I tend to throw D1 stats out the window. If they were putting up numbers in D1 odds are they wouldn't be transferring to a D3 program (or any other program at all, most productive players stay put). Granted not every D1 to D3 skater turns into Darby Dodds or Erin Brand, but I don't think it's prudent to use a lack of production to prejudge their potential.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                I tend to throw D1 stats out the window. If they were putting up numbers in D1 odds are they wouldn't be transferring to a D3 program (or any other program at all, most productive players stay put). Granted not every D1 to D3 skater turns into Darby Dodds or Erin Brand, but I don't think it's prudent to use a lack of production to prejudge their potential.
                I completely agree with you, I messed up the tone of my post. I really am interested in seeing what she can do. It may (or may not) provide another data point in the difference from one level to the next.

I’m also guessing she’s going to have lots of pressure on her since Tess Adams graduated. Which I think would be totally unfair to the young lady.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                  I completely agree with you, I messed up the tone of my post. I really am interested in seeing what she can do. It may (or may not) provide another data point in the difference from one level to the next.

I’m also guessing she’s going to have lots of pressure on her since Tess Adams graduated. Which I think would be totally unfair to the young lady.
                  I don't think there will be as much expectation on her as much as there will be on incoming freshman Cassidy Gruning, who scored 48 points (28 G, 20 A) for the Massachusetts Division 1 HS champions Tewksbury/Methuen Co-op. Her linemate there was Massachusetts leading HS scorer Julia Massota (79 points), who is going to Norwich. Tewksbury/Methuen is the same team that produced Amanda Conway. If I had to guess who would pick up the load for Adams at Suffolk I would guess Gruning before Burton.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                    I don't think there will be as much expectation on her as much as there will be on incoming freshman Cassidy Gruning, who scored 48 points (28 G, 20 A) for the Massachusetts Division 1 HS champions Tewksbury/Methuen Co-op. Her linemate there was Massachusetts leading HS scorer Julia Massota (79 points), who is going to Norwich. Tewksbury/Methuen is the same team that produced Amanda Conway. If I had to guess who would pick up the load for Adams at Suffolk I would guess Gruning before Burton.
                    Either way this should be a fun team to watch. They started strong last year and seemed to falter a little as the season progressed. With solid coaching and a season under their belt the (17!) freshmen should rise to the occasion.

Comment

Working...
                    X