Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 324

Thread: 2019 Transfers

  1. #141
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    49

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    Going to try to say this in a nice manner. What about the 4 Canadians on the Minn Roster or the 6 Canadians on the Wisconsin Roster last season. Is it a good idea to have any Canadians on your roster using up American dollars when USA girls, not necessarily hockey players are paying full price for school?
    In an effort to not take a swipe at Canadian players, whom I believe are an important part of the game of hockey I was merely suggesting that maybe schools in the USA who have a serious tuition problem think about not over committing US dollars to non citizens. Most of the Canadians say full ride or your're not prying me from my home. However there is a healthy number of non US citizens that should play a role on hockey teams in an effort to bring culture to the program. I would probably say 4-6 is in that healthy range and most would agree. I don't think anyone would think 15 players from Canada is a healthy number for any US college program. Are they all going to be Doctors? Engineers? or are they all going to go back to Canada and try to be hockey coaches?

  2. #142
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,312

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Very few at CCT are paying the full $60K+ full cost of attendance. People I've talked to say they try to get it down to $30K.
    that's still 5x what they'd pay in Canada, which explains why you'll have a hard time finding a Canadian student there that isn't a hockey player

    and then there is the exchange rate

  3. #143
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,312

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiveholio View Post
    Going to try and say this in a nice manner. Is it a good idea to have a roster of 2/3 or more Canadians using up American dollars when USA girls, not necessarily hockey players are paying full price for school? Now the Clarkson model seems to make some sense in the fact that they have a roster heavy with Canadians and are winning, so in that respect it may make sense for the school. On the other end of the spectrum you have quite a few schools who also have heavy Canadian rosters and struggle to win more than 10 games. If you ask me give the USA hockey girls some of that money and you wont have a drop off in wins and certainly not in GPA. We've already established the fact that women's pro hockey doesn't pay much so switching schools just for the sake of winning doesn't do much for your resume. I really hope professional women's hockey grows to the point that there will be many hockey jobs for women created but until that happens we should be pushing for these young USA ladies to have an opportunity to be a true student/athlete.
    what you are forgetting or failing to understand is that one of the most important tenent (their goal of a Utopian world where there is no disease, no war, everyone is happy, and there certainly is no disagreement) of liberalism is "globalization" not only doesn't it matter where they are from, foreigners are preferred, especially if they are illegals so the new aristocracy (elites they like to think of themselves) can hire them for cheap as nannies, gardeners, handyman, ... etc. plus it's always nice to mention all your colored "friends" at the cocktail party (since they won't be there)

  4. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,312

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Imagine yourself president or the AD at Clarkson and you go to the Bahamaís for some seminar on leadership, teamwork, or some other BS. When you rub shoulders at the buffet table with your cohorts at other schools you donít want to be seen as the guy from the little school that just might as well be in Canada, you want something to crow about, make you feel you belong with the others in their inner circle of the elite privileged class. Being in the same conference as the Ivies, and handing them their rear ends in hockey makes you feel more like one of them.

    Plus it makes the alumni rain money on your school Ö thatís what it is all about. Prospective students couldnít give a ratís azz about the hockey team, they just want to get away from home, get drunk, and get laid.

  5. #145
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    400

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    what you are forgetting or failing to understand is that one of the most important tenent (their goal of a Utopian world where there is no disease, no war, everyone is happy, and there certainly is no disagreement) of liberalism is "globalization" not only doesn't it matter where they are from, foreigners are preferred, especially if they are illegals so the new aristocracy (elites they like to think of themselves) can hire them for cheap as nannies, gardeners, handyman, ... etc. plus it's always nice to mention all your colored "friends" at the cocktail party (since they won't be there)
    I confess I didn't anticipate this brief yet thorough primer on xenophobia when I clicked on this thread.

  6. #146
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    316

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    I'm hearing visits to Clarkson, Minnesota, Wisconsin are coming up for Watts. It's funny to me when the power 5 schools are on the crap end of the stick, that's why she should come play for one of the best if not the best coach in college hockey.
    Last edited by techtodenver; 05-16-2019 at 08:32 PM.

  7. #147
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The coast on the right
    Posts
    698

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Quote Originally Posted by techtodenver View Post
    I'm hearing visits to Clarkson, Minnesota, Wisconsin are coming up for Watts. It's funny to me when the power 5 schools are on the crap end of the stick, that's why she should come play for one of the best if not the best coach in college hockey.
    I don't know - you think Jeff Kampersal would have her?

  8. #148
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    10,874

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Quote Originally Posted by techtodenver View Post
    I'm hearing visits to Clarkson, Minnesota, Wisconsin are coming up for Watts. It's funny to me when the power 5 schools are on the crap end of the stick, that's why she should come play for one of the best if not the best coach in college hockey.
    Watt? MJ is the best coach in the land, hands down. On Wisconsin baby! I wonder whose gonna lose their $$$ for her?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  9. #149

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Watt? MJ is the best coach in the land, hands down. On Wisconsin baby! I wonder whose gonna lose their $$$ for her?
    What college checks the following boxes
    1. Canadian National team coach
    2. Close to home
    3. Where the college president knows your name ( and most of the other students on campus, too)
    4. Small town atmosphere
    5. Winning program
    6. Pep Band

  10. #150
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,312

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    What college checks the following boxes
    1. Canadian National team coach
    2. Close to home
    3. Where the college president knows your name ( and most of the other students on campus, too)
    4. Small town atmosphere
    5. Winning program
    6. Pep Band
    it probably has helped that the CWHL named their league championship after the skool
    players probably get confused and think it is a farm team and they HAVE to play there before moving up to the "pros"

  11. #151
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    10,874

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    What college checks the following boxes
    1. Canadian National team coach
    2. Close to home
    3. Where the college president knows your name ( and most of the other students on campus, too)
    4. Small town atmosphere
    5. Winning program
    6. Pep Band
    1. Play for the active coach with the most natties.
    2. Play for a coach who coached an Olympic team.
    3. Play for a coach who has played in the NHL and the Olympics - GOLD.
    4. Play for a coach who as scored more goals than all the ncaa coaches combined.
    5. Play for a team who has 2000+ in the stands for every game.
    6. It's list 100 more but I need to get work done!!!!
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  12. #152
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    21,694

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Go to a school that seems like the right fit for you. That seems to be the number one reason why young women that I've spoken to over the years pick a school. The rest is more important in an online debate than it is to the people whose lives we are talking about.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  13. #153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,186

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    4. Small town atmosphere

    What other kind of 'atmosphere' can a town of , what?, 10 thousand project?

    And not everyone - including someone from, let's say, Toronto - might see that as an advantage or 'selling point'.

  14. #154
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    What other kind of 'atmosphere' can a town of , what?, 10 thousand project?

    And not everyone - including someone from, let's say, Toronto - might see that as an advantage or 'selling point'.
    Everyone can speculate, myself included, Lonergan beat her to the punch on Clarkson, if it was a package deal, it would already be over. Frieesen is going there also. It is going to be somewhere else. And it is doubtful it will be Minnesota since Agnew transferred from there. If she can't get a scholarship at this point, don't rule out Cornell.

  15. #155
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Everyone can speculate, myself included, Lonergan beat her to the punch on Clarkson, if it was a package deal, it would already be over. Frieesen is going there also. It is going to be somewhere else. And it is doubtful it will be Minnesota since Agnew transferred from there. If she can't get a scholarship at this point, don't rule out Cornell.
    I wouldnít rule out Clarkson or Minnesota and what does Agnew have to do with Watts and Minnesota?? I would also think that BU might be an option if she likes Boston. If she wants to be reunited on a line with Lonergan, then Clarkson it is. Breaking up those two last year was something I never quite understood. Anyhow, she has an opportunity to start fresh and whatever she decides to do is her business and I can only wish her the best.

  16. #156
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Center Ice
    Posts
    215

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    BU has been working the transfer route for years and nobody has had a problem with that - unlike all the criticism directed towards Clarkson recently. Some of BU's best players over the past 9 seasons have been transfers: Catherine Ward (Grad yr post-McGill), Jenn Wakefield (UNH), Isabel Menard (Syracuse), Shannon Doyle (Colgate), Alexis Crossley (UNH), Nina Rodgers (MN), Mary Parker (Grad yr post-Harvard), Abbey Stanley (UND), and Reagan Rust (RIT). Wakefield, Crossley, and Rust all ended up being Captains. Not sure how many NCAA tourneys BU makes without all those players. Like most of you, I have no issue with the transfers as it's a personal decision by the student athlete to finish their studies at the college of their choice.

    However, if Watts were to transfer to BU, somebody might need to check on TTT real quick once that news breaks.
    THINK PINK
    BLEED BLUE

  17. #157
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    21,694

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Quote Originally Posted by whoop87 View Post
    Some of BU's best players over the past 9 seasons have been transfers: Catherine Ward (Grad yr post-McGill), Jenn Wakefield (UNH), Isabel Menard (Syracuse), Shannon Doyle (Colgate), Alexis Crossley (UNH), Nina Rodgers (MN), Mary Parker (Grad yr post-Harvard), Abbey Stanley (UND), and Reagan Rust (RIT).
    Nice list. Stanley is a special case, given that her former program was gone, so every team in the country was trying to accommodate those players as best that they could.

    What is odd about Clarkson is that it wasn't doing much with transfers, and then it made a dramatic shift where that became a standard way of building a team. As you say, that's how it has always been at BU. With the level of players coming in, one can't fault the Golden Knights. Teams would welcome most of the players. But what puzzles me is how did recruiting suddenly fall off to the point that Clarkson is in need of those players to the degree that it is. I get why Clarkson is attractive to transfers. I'm not sure why it is now less popular with younger players, unless it is a case of Shannon Desrosiers attracting many of those players and recruiting not going as well in her wake. One reason Minnesota didn't wind up with any UND transfers was that there wasn't any room on the roster for 2018-19, and UND didn't have any players looking for a new home for one year. So my question isn't why is Clarkson accepting so many transfers, but why does it have room for so many all of a sudden?

    Building around transfers has always been one route to improving a team quickly in NCAA sports. It isn't as much a strategy for the long haul as recruiting preps is, so it is strange to see it become a key piece of a team that is already at the top, when that isn't how that team reached the top. Most programs talk a lot about their culture these days, and transfers have less opportunity to both embrace and develop the culture of a new program, particularly when they are already seniors.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  18. #158
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Nice list. Stanley is a special case, given that her former program was gone, so every team in the country was trying to accommodate those players as best that they could.

    What is odd about Clarkson is that it wasn't doing much with transfers, and then it made a dramatic shift where that became a standard way of building a team. As you say, that's how it has always been at BU. With the level of players coming in, one can't fault the Golden Knights. Teams would welcome most of the players. But what puzzles me is how did recruiting suddenly fall off to the point that Clarkson is in need of those players to the degree that it is. I get why Clarkson is attractive to transfers. I'm not sure why it is now less popular with younger players, unless it is a case of Shannon Desrosiers attracting many of those players and recruiting not going as well in her wake. One reason Minnesota didn't wind up with any UND transfers was that there wasn't any room on the roster for 2018-19, and UND didn't have any players looking for a new home for one year. So my question isn't why is Clarkson accepting so many transfers, but why does it have room for so many all of a sudden?

    Building around transfers has always been one route to improving a team quickly in NCAA sports. It isn't as much a strategy for the long haul as recruiting preps is, so it is strange to see it become a key piece of a team that is already at the top, when that isn't how that team reached the top. Most programs talk a lot about their culture these days, and transfers have less opportunity to both embrace and develop the culture of a new program, particularly when they are already seniors.
    I just think that Clarkson is doing what they see as the best option for their program, proven older players are obviously going to be more impactful then true freshmen. Theyíve done quite fine with the younger recruits as well, there should be impact players with this incoming class Bernard, Markowski, and Wisnewski should help revamp a defensive core that lacked depth last season. When you return players like Giguere, McGill, Pejzlova, Shelton, Turnquist and then go add in the grad transfer market combined with a very good recruiting class itís going to become an attractive destination. It also is a great academic school that can connect you with a lot of post college options until the professional leagues finally get these women some support. Itís also very much a family like atmosphere, yes the local support isnít consistently what it should be but itís improving. A lot of these girls are the talk of the campus too and are great role models for young community members. Shannon is still involved too, she just is raising her young children and being a D1 coach is obviously a huge time commitment, itís a special program led by special people that is going to be here for a long time.

  19. #159
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    49

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Nice list. Stanley is a special case, given that her former program was gone, so every team in the country was trying to accommodate those players as best that they could.

    What is odd about Clarkson is that it wasn't doing much with transfers, and then it made a dramatic shift where that became a standard way of building a team. As you say, that's how it has always been at BU. With the level of players coming in, one can't fault the Golden Knights. Teams would welcome most of the players. But what puzzles me is how did recruiting suddenly fall off to the point that Clarkson is in need of those players to the degree that it is. I get why Clarkson is attractive to transfers. I'm not sure why it is now less popular with younger players, unless it is a case of Shannon Desrosiers attracting many of those players and recruiting not going as well in her wake. One reason Minnesota didn't wind up with any UND transfers was that there wasn't any room on the roster for 2018-19, and UND didn't have any players looking for a new home for one year. So my question isn't why is Clarkson accepting so many transfers, but why does it have room for so many all of a sudden?

    Building around transfers has always been one route to improving a team quickly in NCAA sports. It isn't as much a strategy for the long haul as recruiting preps is, so it is strange to see it become a key piece of a team that is already at the top, when that isn't how that team reached the top. Most programs talk a lot about their culture these days, and transfers have less opportunity to both embrace and develop the culture of a new program, particularly when they are already seniors.
    Once you start heavily dipping in the transfer pool you have to keep it going. It will be a harder sell to a regular recruit going forward. Why would you go there if 22 year old Canadian Suzie will bump you for playing time in a couple years after getting a solid 1.2 GPA at her previous school.

  20. #160
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    115

    Re: 2019 Transfers

    Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    I don't know - you think Jeff Kampersal would have her?
    Good call....go back in time.....wasn't Watts a Princeton commit before she was a BC commit? definitely knows Kampersal!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •