X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Transfers

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    *raises hand to invalidate the "no one" claim*

The power imbalance in college athletics is stark and dismaying. Personally, I'd prefer not to be a fan of an operation in which amateur athletes are told that they cannot move to a different school that they believe would better serve their own interests. That sort of coercion makes me uncomfortable and reduces my enjoyment of the sport.
    Same here.

Comment

My question is how are all these players getting lured away from their current programs to go to Clarkson? Is Desrosiers recruiting them in one way or another? I wonder what this does to his reputation in the coaching community?

And I'd think twice before committing to Clarkson if I was a player - especially a goalie. You could find yourself pushed to the outside late in your career as another transfer comes in and suddenly takes a roster spot...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
        Same here.
        Yeah the loosening of restrictions on transfers is one of the few things I think the NCAA has gotten right. Free agency really isn't an apples to apples comparison really. It's not like they're just changing uniforms. They are uprooting their entire lives, leaving friends, leaving professors they know, leaving a school they know, starting all over as an outsider at a brand new university -- the university being the school itself; not even mentioning the team aspect.

Transferring isn't a decision that any student takes lightly, and if they are unhappy enough to want to go through that whole very difficult process in the hopes of going to a better fit elsewhere, they should be allowed to.
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
          And I'd think twice before committing to Clarkson if I was a player - especially a goalie. You could find yourself pushed to the outside late in your career as another transfer comes in and suddenly takes a roster spot...
          In a rare moment of being "On The Serious Side"...

I don't see much of an issue with transfers but 5 in two years does raise the eyebrows a bit and I think the point about what those transfers could do to recruiting is an interesting one.
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
            *raises hand to invalidate the "no one" claim*

The power imbalance in college athletics is stark and dismaying. Personally, I'd prefer not to be a fan of an operation in which amateur athletes are told that they cannot move to a different school that they believe would better serve their own interests. That sort of coercion makes me uncomfortable and reduces my enjoyment of the sport.
            I hear you from the student's freedom side, but as fans do we want to see power schools start consistently poaching players from other teams? That hurts the overall depth of the sport.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post

Transferring isn't a decision that any student takes lightly, and if they are unhappy enough to want to go through that whole very difficult process in the hopes of going to a better fit elsewhere, they should be allowed to.
              That’s bullcrap, when college students transfer, 99 out of a hundred times it’s because they’ve F’d up at their present school, usually they were simply just too immature to be on their own. This is nothing like that, it’s purely a move in hopes of enhancing their hockey.

not that I object to the transfer, but let's call a spade a spade

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              I hear you from the student's freedom side, but as fans do we want to see power schools start consistently poaching players from other teams? That hurts the overall depth of the sport.
              I doubt there is poaching going on, in fact unless it actually turns into a ECAC and NCAA title, they may not view this as a good thing in the long term
              Last edited by pokechecker; 04-29-2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Was wondering when the "P" word was going to enter in the conversation. Wonder what all of you would be saying if it was a bottom feeder WCHA school that players would be transferring into. The "P" word would not be used. My guess is u would be crowing about how great it is that the program is being built up and the overall league is better
                What a joke.
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Maybe there should be a time limit on transfers, like by the end of your sophomore year. By then a student should know if they made a good choice in a school (or hockey program). After that, stick to your commitment and work on building the program you signed on to, whether or not that means a national championship for you before you graduate.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                    Was wondering when the "P" word was going to enter in the conversation. Wonder what all of you would be saying if it was a bottom feeder WCHA school that players would be transferring into. The "P" word would not be used. My guess is u would be crowing about how great it is that the program is being built up and the overall league is better
                    What a joke.
                    I would not support St. Cloud loading up on 3rd and 4th liners from Clarkson or BC in hopes to crack home ice in the wWCHA. There are 2 battles I enjoy, the recruiting battles and the game on the ice. Win the recruiting war fair and square during the pre college recruiting and win the games on the ice fair and square.

Would you be fine if a player that you were counting to be a major producer up and left for greener pastures (and your team was an also ran and the player leaving gave you hope for the future)? T3 is taking this WAY to reasonably. He must be heavily medicated. I'd be smoking fuming ****ed, but my personality has strong threads of loyalty running through it. Some folks don't have that same loyalty trait and that's ok. To give you some perspective I still have not forgiven Farve for playing for the Viqueens. I never will.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                      Yeah the loosening of restrictions on transfers is one of the few things I think the NCAA has gotten right. Free agency really isn't an apples to apples comparison really. It's not like they're just changing uniforms. They are uprooting their entire lives, leaving friends, leaving professors they know, leaving a school they know, starting all over as an outsider at a brand new university -- the university being the school itself; not even mentioning the team aspect.

I agree with this from the player perspective. They should be free to move if they can. Its essentially a job in terms of the commitment and time required. "Grownups" can move from job to job. From a team perspective, especially the historically lower ranked ones, it is troubling because what you are starting to see and will continue to see is the top teams "losing/cutting" (however you want to describe it), the bottom of their roster and then restocking by taking the better players as transfers from the weaker programs. Doesn't apply to the CL transfer from BC but it does SCSU and there are more happening right now that will become evident soon. I would expect some objection to this process from the schools that are turning into farm teams.

Comment

...........Win the recruiting war fair and square during the pre college recruiting and win the games on the ice fair and square.

Would you be fine if a player that you were counting to be a major producer up and left for greener pastures (and your team was an also ran and the player leaving gave you hope for the future)? T3 is taking this WAY to reasonably.
                        So you go from the "P" word when it comes to kids unhappy with their situation and ending up at Clarkson to the "fair and square" phrase when it comes to I am guessing Wisconsin's recruiting. You have as much of a chance of proving the "P" word with Clarkson as I would have the "not so fair and square" phrase if I wanted to apply it to Wisconsin's recruiting. Neither of us knows what the hell we are talking about.

As for Clarkson, did Penn State "P" Jenna Brenneman? Did Robert Morris "P" Michaela Boyle? Of coarse not. Two players that found out they would not be playing as much as they thought and decided to look for greener pastures. Good for them, especially Brenneman.

As for all of this loyalty crap you are spewing, where was Mark Johnson's loyalty to the goalies he had on roster and to the goalie recruits he had coming in when UND disbanded and Campbell became available. Did he turn her away because he wanted to be loyal to the kids he had? You can't have it both ways. He saw a way to possibly improve his team and took it. When Sauve decided to leave Ohio State and began looking at Clarkson as a possible fit, Clarkson's coaching staff decided this was a way to strengthen this position and took it. Same with the other kids.
                        Last edited by vicb; 04-29-2019, 03:50 PM.
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

As for all of this loyalty crap you are spewing, where was Mark Johnson's loyalty to the goalies he had on roster and to the goalie recruits he had coming in when UND disbanded and Campbell became available. Did he turn her away because he wanted to be loyal to the kids he had? You can't have it both ways. He saw a way to possibly improve his team and took it. When Sauve decided to leave Ohio State and began looking at Clarkson as a possible fit, Clarkson's coaching staff decided this was a way to strengthen this position and took it. Same with the other kids.
                          I agree with you on the goalie situation @ UW. I was looking forward to seeing what Cece could do. She played admirably when ARD was injured. Then Blesi came into the mix as a quality #2 or maybe a #1, which is fine, they needed depth. Then Soup becomes available through not of her own doing, and she shows up and steals the show from Cece and Blesi, which was a bit of a shock (UW did recruit Soup before she picked the sue, so it wasn't an out of the blue move). Her and Cece had very comparable game experience, like 4 starts each LOL. Plus then the forever committed Kronish shows up last year and had to sit as well, so for 2 years there is/was a massive logjam @ that position. I feel bad for Cece. Someone like her has to have "what might have been" thoughts. Would I be mad if she transferred? No, because of the way it played out, though I'd be a little salty if she ended up with a contender in the wwcha, but I get it. Overall though MJ runs a very tight roster, unlike the TG on the UW men's side. Players searching for a chance to play aren't heading to NY for more PT, it's top line players.

Comment

So you go from the "P" word when it comes to kids unhappy with their situation and ending up at Clarkson to the "fair and square" phrase when it comes to I am guessing Wisconsin's recruiting. You have as much of a chance of proving the "P" word with Clarkson as I would have the "not so fair and square" phrase if I wanted to apply it to Wisconsin's recruiting. Neither of us knows what the hell we are talking about.

As for Clarkson, did Penn State "P" Jenna Brenneman? Did Robert Morris "P" Michaela Boyle? Of coarse not. Two players that found out they would not be playing as much as they thought and decided to look for greener pastures. Good for them, especially Brenneman.
                            Not sure what the "P" word is. Is there a reason we can't spell it out? I don't think there are any children on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                              Not sure what the "P" word is. Is there a reason we can't spell it out? I don't think there are any children on this forum.
                              I will not say "P"oach when there is no basis in fact for this occurring.

And I'm not so sure that some posters here are children.
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

My opinion on a player transferring is that non-athletes do it all the time and nobody says anything. If somebody wants to switch because she changes majors, or she wants to be closer/farther from home, or she got a new boyfriend who lives near the new school, nobody says much about it. However, we all become experts when athletics is involved.

As for tampering, which is a violation of NCAA rules, I don't think that much of it goes on in women's college hockey as compared to some other NCAA sports. I did hear stories about a former coach who would try to lure players away from other rosters, but I've never heard a credible accusation of that against any current coach.

The question that any coach has to think about is, "How much is your team going to be helped by the presence of a player who no longer wants to play for you?" Give me a player, even one with less talent, who wants to be there over one who doesn't.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X