Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 Frozen Four: NCHC vs. Hockey East

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    It isn’t a Buffalo problem. It is a lack of foresight with ncaa hockey.
    You got that right. I don't have a dog in this fight but was going to take my son to the semis. Like thousands of other Western New Yorkers, we love hockey and would be happy to attend. When I looked last week, the NCAA was pointing me towards the 300 Level nosebleeds at $120/each. That's a No Way before parking and food are even considered. I didn't even look again after that. I know a bunch of locals who were thinking about going but didn't want to pony up more money than a Leafs/Sabres game for teams they know nothing about. Much like the World Juniors (Buffalo 2018), the NCAA and IIHF are so greedy and completely overestimated the price point for tickets. I assume they think because Buffalo has rabid hockey fans along with easy access for thousands of Southern Ontario folks...that people would be willing to pay just about anything. Those days are over. Watching the games on a big HD TV can be just fine. If it's reasonable (like $50 per ticket max) people would come out and it would be a full building and better atmosphere. I watched some of the Regionals, and even those small arenas seemed rather empty (except when a home team is playing at home). With Denver and Duluth so far away, how many of those people would realistically make the trip East? Back when i attended in 2003 in BUF, it was packed with Cornell and UNH fans...and Michigan/Minnesota brought a huge amount. Thomas Vanek was a Sabres draft pick so locals were very interested in that angle as well.

Anyway- that's my ten cents.. Thanks NCAA for embarrassing the city of Buffalo by having swaths of empty prime seats and literally freezing out the locals with high prices. This is NOT on Buffalo (and Canisius & Niagara Univ.), who are putting on a first class event. Good Luck to UMASS and UMD. Hopefully it's a great finals and maybe a whole bunch of UMASS fans make the 6 hour drive over to Key bank Arena and fill up the place.

I had to re-register to post. It's been a while since my last post and the site blew out my username i guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      I hadn’t paid attention to this part, but how bad were they again? Compared to other years?
      It’s Buffalo. The availability of flights. The weather. They set the attendance record with UMD-DU in Chicago two years ago. Neither huge fanbases or that long ago.
      I didn’t have a problem getting last minute flights to Chicago or MSP but even looking at Buffalo or other airports Det/Pit/Cle/Toronto and driving flights are still $700-900 on average. Not an easy place to get to
      I wanna go fast!

Comment

I also don't get why they choose to go up against NHL playoff hockey. I gotta imagine some PC and UMASS fans who are also Bruins fans stayed home with two monitors or were flipping back and forth rather than make the trip and pay a bunch of money to watch in-person and miss their NHL team's playoff game. Same goes with Denver fans with the Avs.

If the basketball Final Four and championship is the weekend before on Saturday/Monday why not do the Frozen Four and championship on Friday/Sunday of the same weekend? Instead they schedule the Frozen Four during some of the best few days in the NHL calendar.
        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
          I also don't get why they choose to go up against NHL playoff hockey. I gotta imagine some PC and UMASS fans who are also Bruins fans stayed home with two monitors or were flipping back and forth rather than make the trip and pay a bunch of money to watch in-person and miss their NHL team's playoff game. Same goes with Denver fans with the Avs.

If the basketball Final Four and championship is the weekend before on Saturday/Monday why not do the Frozen Four and championship on Friday/Sunday of the same weekend? Instead they schedule the Frozen Four during some of the best few days in the NHL calendar.
          Here's another question...what would have happened if the Sabres were in line to host the first two games of a first round playoff series this year? I can't imagine they are going to be playing NHL playoff games in the same rink from Wednesday to Saturday with this event going on?
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            Here's another question...what would have happened if the Sabres were in line to host the first two games of a first round playoff series this year? I can't imagine they are going to be playing NHL playoff games in the same rink from Wednesday to Saturday with this event going on?
            Happened in 2004 in Boston with the Bruins hosting MTL in the first round. The NHL is forced to schedule around it as best they can.

Jeremy Jacobs told the NCAA they would NOT be painting over the spoked B at center ice. It rubbed a lot of people wrong at the NCAA but the NCAA is ridiculous so I'm glad Jacobs told them to go pound sand.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post

Completely agree. And maybe even in the same city..?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                Happened in 2004 in Boston with the Bruins hosting MTL in the first round. The NHL is forced to schedule around it as best they can.

Jeremy Jacobs told the NCAA they would NOT be painting over the spoked B at center ice. It rubbed a lot of people wrong at the NCAA but the NCAA is ridiculous so I'm glad Jacobs told them to go pound sand.
                It also cost Boston two shots at hosting the FF.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Trivigno out. It's the right decision, but boy Denver has to be ticked.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    ...If we're talking Nashville, Vegas...that gets my wife interested and I am more likely to make a trip out of it...
                    I would move heaven and earth (and hell, if necessary) to go to a FF in Nashville. Vegas too. And I still haven't heard anyone who was at either of the two held in Tampa say a bad word the those experiences.
                    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      I would move heaven and earth (and hell, if necessary) to go to a FF in Nashville. Vegas too. And I still haven't heard anyone who was at either of the two held in Tampa say a bad word the those experiences.
                      Buffalo today: 55 and cloudy, humidity 91%
                      Tampa today: 88 and sunny, humidity 41%

Comment

Here's the hit that got Trivigno suspended for the title game: https://***********/cjzer0/status/1116540932663463937

More: https://scoutingtherefs.com/2019/04/...pionship-game/

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Doubt he cares...he hosted the Final Four in Women’s hoops and that building is packed no matter what is there from the Circus to the Celine Dion concert (yes none of those have played the building lately but just go with it)
                          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            Trivigno out. It's the right decision, but boy Denver has to be ticked.
                            Denver can b-tch all they want, but my understanding was they still had a challenge right? Or do you not get to use it after you use your TO?

If they could have used it, that’s on the coach.

Gwoz would have challenged it

Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Boston hosted in 2015 and will again in 2022, so the the gap of 11 years means they only missed one chance to host.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Denver can b-tch all they want, but my understanding was they still had a challenge right? Or do you not get to use it after you use your TO?

If they could have used it, that’s on the coach.

Gwoz would have challenged it
                                Yes, the articles quoted Coach Carle that he chose not to have it reviewed, but the articles did not give his reasons.

Sean
                                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                                NCAA Hockey Financials
                                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                                X