Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: 9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,409

    9 years ago today. Original on page 66.

    In response to user demands, US College Hockey On-line, the premier source of college hockey news, has announced the launch of USCHO3, which will be devoted entirely to men's and women's D-III hockey.

    In a press conference in Vadnais Heights, MN, USCHO President Tim Brule said that fans' interest in Division III hockey has grown exponentially in the last 10 years. "They're [D-III fans] overloading our current capacity, " said Brule. "In order to keep the same high level of service to all our fans, our technology department, after months of study, decided the best way was to move D-III to its own server."

    Director of Technology Ed Trefzger was non comittal when USCHO3 would make its debut. "We're working out the last few kinks, and need to get through the Men's Division one final next week before we can get back to the roll out," said Trefger.

    Brule did announce some personnel assignments for USCHO3. Russell Jaslow, currently USCHO SUNYAC Correspondent will serve as the Executive Editor for the Eastern region while Matthew Webb, the NCHA and MCHA Correspondent, will be Executive Editor for the West. Derek Dunning will continue in his role of D-III Women's Editor.

    "Fans should expect more features and more live game coverage next season. We've parnered with AllInSports to deliver a new and innovative show called "D-III Live!!!"," said Media Relation Director Jayson Moy. "Though our fans get the word out pretty quick on game days regarding scores, we feel that having a media center where we can have live reports from games from our rink correspondents will add to the D-III experiance and will spark additional interest in D-III hockey."
    Last edited by joecct; 04-01-2019 at 09:03 AM.

  2. #2
    Hockey Knight in Boston
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,114

    Re: 9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

    Its amazing to think this is the moment when things began to change and D3 content on this site went from "kind of sparse but a few articles each week" to the massive trove of content we enjoy today. Is it possible to sense such a sea change when it happens, or is it only perceptible after the fact? Thank you for the trip down memory lane on this April morning.
    #OneKnight

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    somewhere in Michigan
    Posts
    13

    Re: 9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

    As someone who works at a school whose DIII program was brand new at the time, I was pleased to find this forum and to learn about the rich history of DIII hockey. I love the craziness of the boards. I haven't engaged in a long time, except to lurk, but since getting hockey here, I've expanded my hockey experience by watching DI club teams and make it a habit to see the Great Lakes Invitational for my D1 fix. Just want to say thanks - not an April 1 joke, I do love this forum.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,409

    Re: 9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

    Memory lane - the genesis of my April Fools post was the USCHO fiasco following the 2009 2010 D3 championship in Lake Placid.

    Stories that were filed by Matt and Russell did not appear on USCHO until some 20 hours later.

    The D3 community was in a bit of a tizzy (i.e. uproar).

    The upshot? in 2010-11 we had d3west.com and in 11-12 saw the birth of D3hockey.com. D3 hockey coverage has benefitted from having 2 sources for nooz.

    I use here for the forum and d3hockey for the journalism.
    Last edited by joecct; 04-01-2019 at 03:13 PM.

  5. #5
    Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Chazy, NY
    Posts
    4,244

    Re: 9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    I use here for the forum and d3hockey for the journalism.
    Totally agree with you. Coverage for news here has gotten worse over the years, not better. If the d3board forum ever ramped up, I'd probably stop visiting uscho.com entirely.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

    If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

  6. #6
    Hockey Knight in Boston
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,114

    Re: 9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

    I enjoy the weekend previews that get posted on USCHO on Fridays. I obviously enjoy the forum, though its not as active as it was even 10 years ago. I miss the more regular game recaps. I think USCHO shot itself in the foot for years by not always posting the game recaps to the front page. If you were not looking for them they were hard to find, so they probably did not get as good traffic as they could have. Now it's all summarized content from the schools themselves and we are worse for it.

    D3hockey has better features, like Bracketology. I also appreciate that they seem to be a better PR outfit than USCHO right now at raising visibility for the sport.

    I think it's awesome that there are two weekly Top 15 polls now, so I hope that doesn't change anytime soon.
    #OneKnight

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,740

    Re: 9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Memory lane - the genesis of my April Fools post was the USCHO fiasco following the 2010 D3 championship in Lake Placid.

    Stories that were filed by Matt and Russell did not appear on USCHO until some 20 hours later.

    The D3 community was in a bit of a tizzy (i.e. uproar).
    The funniest post during that tizzy is when you mentioned how the D1 correspondents get to go to the Frozen Four in private jets (or something like that) and the D3 correspondents have to all stuff into a MINI Cooper and drive there.

    When, unbeknownst to you, I actually owned a MINI Cooper, and that's what I and Angelo drove to Lake Placid.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    The funniest post during that tizzy is when you mentioned how the D1 correspondents get to go to the Frozen Four in private jets (or something like that) and the D3 correspondents have to all stuff into a MINI Cooper and drive there.

    When, unbeknownst to you, I actually owned a MINI Cooper, and that's what I and Angelo drove to Lake Placid.
    Which reminds me - how is Angelo??

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    5,502

    Re: 9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

    I miss Hammer...and its all RIT's fault..

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,740
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Which reminds me - how is Angelo??
    He’s retired. So, he’s doing fine.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    22

    Re: 9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

    Quote Originally Posted by spwood View Post
    Totally agree with you. Coverage for news here has gotten worse over the years, not better. If the d3board forum ever ramped up, I'd probably stop visiting uscho.com entirely.
    This is a great board but certainly could do with more posters providing info on a wider range of teams. Why has there been a drop off in the last number of years?

    Need to get the word out that there is a forum for anyone wanting to comment on or learn about D3 hockey.

  12. #12
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,412
    Quote Originally Posted by MELIN27 View Post
    This is a great board but certainly could do with more posters providing info on a wider range of teams. Why has there been a drop off in the last number of years?

    Need to get the word out that there is a forum for anyone wanting to comment on or learn about D3 hockey.
    People are still out there following Division III hockey. They are just doing it in different ways now. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat have all replaced “message boards” as ways to follow your favorite teams and still have conversations about them or find out scores etc.

  13. #13
    elbojpb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    1,944

    Re: 9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

    Quote Originally Posted by MELIN27 View Post
    This is a great board but certainly could do with more posters providing info on a wider range of teams. Why has there been a drop off in the last number of years?
    When new posters say something the least bit controversial, there are a few posters who believe it is their right (and duty) to ridicule anyone with a different perspective back into obscurity.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    5,568
    Quote Originally Posted by elbojpb View Post
    When new posters say something the least bit controversial, there are a few posters who believe it is their right (and duty) to ridicule anyone with a different perspective back into obscurity.
    Not just "new" posters... also "old" posters as well.

  15. #15
    Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Southern New York
    Posts
    8,628
    Quote Originally Posted by elbojpb View Post
    When new posters say something the least bit controversial, there are a few posters who believe it is their right (and duty) to ridicule anyone with a different perspective back into obscurity.
    If the argument made half *** sense people wouldnt argue with it. There is nothing wrong with a debate. But dont come to a gun fight with a knife, or better yet a make believe one. Back up opinions with statements and facts and no issue....saying players are the same size and the game is the same speed as it was 25 years ago is not one of them...

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,409
    Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    If the argument made half *** sense people wouldnt argue with it. There is nothing wrong with a debate. But dont come to a gun fight with a knife, or better yet a make believe one. Back up opinions with statements and facts and no issue....saying players are the same size and the game is the same speed as it was 25 years ago is not one of them...
    Wrong thread.

    Any interviews for coaching position?

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    People are still out there following Division III hockey. They are just doing it in different ways now. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat have all replaced “message boards” as ways to follow your favorite teams and still have conversations about them or find out scores etc.
    There's still a place for message boards. The social media platforms are restrictive. Facebook tends to be for particular teams and their fans, not the leagues/conferences as a whole and twitter/snapchat/instagram are also limited in their ability to offer conversations and info. I am new to D3 hockey and needed to try to understand how it works. Not sure I could have figured out bracketology from twitter. I think there are more "lost" people out there who could use the info, knowledge and history this board offers.

  18. #18
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,412
    Quote Originally Posted by MELIN27 View Post
    There's still a place for message boards. The social media platforms are restrictive. Facebook tends to be for particular teams and their fans, not the leagues/conferences as a whole and twitter/snapchat/instagram are also limited in their ability to offer conversations and info. I am new to D3 hockey and needed to try to understand how it works. Not sure I could have figured out bracketology from twitter. I think there are more "lost" people out there who could use the info, knowledge and history this board offers.
    I agree. I’m still here. Just commenting on some of the reasons why there isn’t as much activity on here anymore. There used to be an influx of new blood whether it be students in college or alums, parents etc. just aren’t seeing that anymore, especially from the younger generation.

    I started posting on here when I was 12 years old.

  19. #19
    elbojpb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    1,944

    Re: 9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

    Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    If the argument made half *** sense people wouldnt argue with it. There is nothing wrong with a debate. But dont come to a gun fight with a knife, or better yet a make believe one. Back up opinions with statements and facts and no issue....saying players are the same size and the game is the same speed as it was 25 years ago is not one of them...
    Thanks for validating my point.

  20. #20
    Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Southern New York
    Posts
    8,628
    Quote Originally Posted by elbojpb View Post
    Thanks for validating my point.
    You're welcome. Sorry you're so butthurt over being wrong....but that's today's world for ya...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •