No announcement yet.

9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

In response to user demands, US College Hockey On-line, the premier source of college hockey news, has announced the launch of USCHO3, which will be devoted entirely to men's and women's D-III hockey.

In a press conference in Vadnais Heights, MN, USCHO President Tim Brule said that fans' interest in Division III hockey has grown exponentially in the last 10 years. "They're [D-III fans] overloading our current capacity, " said Brule. "In order to keep the same high level of service to all our fans, our technology department, after months of study, decided the best way was to move D-III to its own server."

Director of Technology Ed Trefzger was non comittal when USCHO3 would make its debut. "We're working out the last few kinks, and need to get through the Men's Division one final next week before we can get back to the roll out," said Trefger.

Brule did announce some personnel assignments for USCHO3. Russell Jaslow, currently USCHO SUNYAC Correspondent will serve as the Executive Editor for the Eastern region while Matthew Webb, the NCHA and MCHA Correspondent, will be Executive Editor for the West. Derek Dunning will continue in his role of D-III Women's Editor.

"Fans should expect more features and more live game coverage next season. We've parnered with AllInSports to deliver a new and innovative show called "D-III Live!!!"," said Media Relation Director Jayson Moy. "Though our fans get the word out pretty quick on game days regarding scores, we feel that having a media center where we can have live reports from games from our rink correspondents will add to the D-III experiance and will spark additional interest in D-III hockey."
    Last edited by joecct; 04-01-2019, 09:03 AM.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: 9 years ago today. Original on page 67.

Its amazing to think this is the moment when things began to change and D3 content on this site went from "kind of sparse but a few articles each week" to the massive trove of content we enjoy today. Is it possible to sense such a sea change when it happens, or is it only perceptible after the fact? Thank you for the trip down memory lane on this April morning.
    #OneKnight

Comment

As someone who works at a school whose DIII program was brand new at the time, I was pleased to find this forum and to learn about the rich history of DIII hockey. I love the craziness of the boards. I haven't engaged in a long time, except to lurk, but since getting hockey here, I've expanded my hockey experience by watching DI club teams and make it a habit to see the Great Lakes Invitational for my D1 fix. Just want to say thanks - not an April 1 joke, I do love this forum.

Comment

Memory lane - the genesis of my April Fools post was the USCHO fiasco following the 2009 2010 D3 championship in Lake Placid.

Stories that were filed by Matt and Russell did not appear on USCHO until some 20 hours later.

The D3 community was in a bit of a tizzy (i.e. uproar).

The upshot? in 2010-11 we had d3west.com and in 11-12 saw the birth of D3hockey.com. D3 hockey coverage has benefitted from having 2 sources for nooz.

I use here for the forum and d3hockey for the journalism.
        Last edited by joecct; 04-01-2019, 03:13 PM.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          I use here for the forum and d3hockey for the journalism.
          Totally agree with you. Coverage for news here has gotten worse over the years, not better. If the d3board forum ever ramped up, I'd probably stop visiting uscho.com entirely.
          Steve
          Penn State Class of '95
          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

I enjoy the weekend previews that get posted on USCHO on Fridays. I obviously enjoy the forum, though its not as active as it was even 10 years ago. I miss the more regular game recaps. I think USCHO shot itself in the foot for years by not always posting the game recaps to the front page. If you were not looking for them they were hard to find, so they probably did not get as good traffic as they could have. Now it's all summarized content from the schools themselves and we are worse for it.

D3hockey has better features, like Bracketology. I also appreciate that they seem to be a better PR outfit than USCHO right now at raising visibility for the sport.

I think it's awesome that there are two weekly Top 15 polls now, so I hope that doesn't change anytime soon.
            #OneKnight

Comment

Memory lane - the genesis of my April Fools post was the USCHO fiasco following the 2010 D3 championship in Lake Placid.

Stories that were filed by Matt and Russell did not appear on USCHO until some 20 hours later.

The D3 community was in a bit of a tizzy (i.e. uproar).
              The funniest post during that tizzy is when you mentioned how the D1 correspondents get to go to the Frozen Four in private jets (or something like that) and the D3 correspondents have to all stuff into a MINI Cooper and drive there.

When, unbeknownst to you, I actually owned a MINI Cooper, and that's what I and Angelo drove to Lake Placid.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                The funniest post during that tizzy is when you mentioned how the D1 correspondents get to go to the Frozen Four in private jets (or something like that) and the D3 correspondents have to all stuff into a MINI Cooper and drive there.

When, unbeknownst to you, I actually owned a MINI Cooper, and that's what I and Angelo drove to Lake Placid.
                Which reminds me - how is Angelo??
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I miss Hammer...and its all RIT's fault..

Comment

Which reminds me - how is Angelo??
                    He’s retired. So, he’s doing fine.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                      Totally agree with you. Coverage for news here has gotten worse over the years, not better. If the d3board forum ever ramped up, I'd probably stop visiting uscho.com entirely.
                      This is a great board but certainly could do with more posters providing info on a wider range of teams. Why has there been a drop off in the last number of years?

Need to get the word out that there is a forum for anyone wanting to comment on or learn about D3 hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by MELIN27 View Post
                        This is a great board but certainly could do with more posters providing info on a wider range of teams. Why has there been a drop off in the last number of years?

Need to get the word out that there is a forum for anyone wanting to comment on or learn about D3 hockey.
                        People are still out there following Division III hockey. They are just doing it in different ways now. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat have all replaced “message boards” as ways to follow your favorite teams and still have conversations about them or find out scores etc.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by MELIN27 View Post
                          When new posters say something the least bit controversial, there are a few posters who believe it is their right (and duty) to ridicule anyone with a different perspective back into obscurity.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                            When new posters say something the least bit controversial, there are a few posters who believe it is their right (and duty) to ridicule anyone with a different perspective back into obscurity.
                            Not just "new" posters... also "old" posters as well.
                            Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                              If the argument made half *** sense people wouldnt argue with it. There is nothing wrong with a debate. But dont come to a gun fight with a knife, or better yet a make believe one. Back up opinions with statements and facts and no issue....saying players are the same size and the game is the same speed as it was 25 years ago is not one of them...
                              Remy Babineaux
                              remyb616@gmail.com
                              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Working...
                              X