Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 656

Thread: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

  1. #441
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    423625 824919
    Posts
    6,890

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    It was a hit to the head. That will always be reviewed, as per the rules. It's either 5 or nothing. Was with a hardcore MSU fan yesterday, and even HE admitted it was the right call.
    Sure but there was no call at the time. so to say that they would have reviewed because it was a hit to the head? How would they know? I don't believe they would have gone back but for the crowd howling, however sure, they might have. It just seems awfully fortuitious.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  2. #442
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    59

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Sure but there was no call at the time. so to say that they would have reviewed because it was a hit to the head? How would they know? I don't believe they would have gone back but for the crowd howling, however sure, they might have. It just seems awfully fortuitious.
    Maybe because the kid was sprawled on the ice even though the play continued? When havenít the refs looked at that?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #443
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Belle Plaine by way of Mankato and Fairfax, MN
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by pc88 View Post
    Maybe because the kid was sprawled on the ice even though the play continued? When havenít the refs looked at that?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Honest question, im not sure what happened because they didnt show anything on tv, but isnt that exactly what happenes with tuomie being checked earlier in the game? Or was he laying on the ice because he got hit lower?

  4. #444
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,540
    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Right. Calling a man by a female title is perfectly reasonable.

    I'm just glad he recognizes my regal greatness.
    The 2000s called. They want their titles back.
    Genders can be neutral

  5. #445
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,469

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Sure but there was no call at the time. so to say that they would have reviewed because it was a hit to the head? How would they know? I don't believe they would have gone back but for the crowd howling, however sure, they might have. It just seems awfully fortuitious.
    They showed the rule on tv. It can be reviewed ONLY for a major. There is no 2 minute ruling. As for stoppage in play, I forget which game it was (forgive me, I watched about 18 hours of hockey in the last 2 days), a guy was visibly unable to stand, yet play went on until the next whistle. So, same scenario there. Once play stopped, the refs said, "Hey, there might have been contact to the head, let's look. They did, and made the right call.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  6. #446
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,540
    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    In a small way I'd like to see Providence win all the way out in Buffalo to shut people (me included) up about the NCAA letting them play "at home" in the Regional.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Huh?

    That was the only way the fryers won in 2015




  7. #447
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the puck bounces
    Posts
    91

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    Quote Originally Posted by Stauber1 View Post
    ... either because people are too stupid to understand what is being said, or in bad faith because they don't want to acknowledge it.

    ...
    If you can't admit that virtually every coach would pick to play in their home town, you are a clown.
    Ö
    That's not the argument, and the more a person tries to make it the argument the more foolish they look.
    Ö
    but to claim the "neutral" sites have eliminated location advantage is stupid at best and dishonest at worst.
    My way or no way...

  8. #448
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,540
    Quote Originally Posted by pc88 View Post
    People forget that PC was #5 in the preseason poll. Nate, the team and all fans would have been disappointed in any result that didnít end in the Frozen Four this year. This was expected.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Couldnít one expect the preseason top 4 to end up in the frozen four?? #5 defeated by #4 in a regional final (unless the game was in Providence )

  9. #449
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the puck bounces
    Posts
    91

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    Quote Originally Posted by Stauber1 View Post
    The ENTIRE reason for moving to neutral sites for the regionals was to eliminate advantage based on location. It wasn't done to increase attendance or to make more money.
    No, but team placement IS about the attendance. It's pretty clearly set forth by NCAA, and it's been like that for many, many years. You can even look at the bracketology blog on this site - throughout the season (and PC stayed in top 16 throughout) PC was always put in Providence (albeit at a higher seed than one they eventually came in at).

    Quote Originally Posted by Stauber1 View Post
    That effort to eliminate location advantage has clearly failed.
    A matter of personal opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stauber1 View Post
    First, Providence received an advantage that was wholly unnecessary to give them - There is no reason why that regional couldn't have been swapped out with another wholesale.
    Or even better, they could have just moved Providence to some other site. Then, we could have watched MSU and AIC game played in front of 72 MSU fans that attended the game yesterday (71 fans + one creature in female form) and all 18 fans of AIC (families included) in a 12,000 people arena. Do you think Brown bids to see that? Again, NCAA makes it pretty clear the attendance will be considered and seeding respected. I can guarantee you that Brown folks aimes for: 1. best case scenario having both BC and BU in Providence (both would have felt more at home at the Dunk than PC); 2. BC or BU and PC; 3. PC; or highly unlikely 4. Brown.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stauber1 View Post
    There was no requirement to place Providence in Providence as they were not the host. They did not "earn" that advantage as they were the bottom seed in their regional. So the only reason to do it was for money
    There's no "requirement" for sure, regardless of whether the team is the host or not and no, no team can "earn" that advantage. Yup, it was for the money, and I don't see any problem with that. This is college hockey, not college basketball or football.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stauber1 View Post
    Second, if there is going to be an advantage handed out, it seems much more fair for that advantage to be dictated by seeding rather than money (or in some cases flat out who can afford to buy it).
    The system of regional tournaments, as they are now, can never be "fair". Leave the question of "fairness" for peewee competition. Which regional site would be fair to Huntsville? ASU? How about Alaska's teams?

    In the end, you are contradicting yourself. First, you state there should not be an advantage based on location, but then you say it would be fair if it existed based on seeding. So which one is it, then?

  10. #450
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,345

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    For all the Leah Hextall fans in this thread

    It was a somewhat standard call, like many I have had in my 15-year career. I was thrilled that ESPN coordinating producer John Vassallo was asking me to work the NCAA Division I Menís Ice Hockey Tournament.

    Calling an NCAA Division I Menís Ice Hockey Tournament regional was something I have never done and would further my experience as a play-by-play broadcaster, a role I moved into last year after more than 14 years as a reporter and host.

  11. #451
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the puck bounces
    Posts
    91

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Huh?

    That was the only way the fryers won in 2015



    I wonder in which city did they win in 2015, and where was their opponent in the finals from?

  12. #452
    Watch out for the bull!
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    North Mankato, MN
    Posts
    3,296

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    It was a hit to the head. That will always be reviewed, as per the rules. It's either 5 or nothing. Was with a hardcore MSU fan yesterday, and even HE admitted it was the right call.
    As was stated above, a replay review on a possible penalty can only be made to determine if there was a major. So, once they went to the replay, their only options were to let the no-call stand, or call the major. There was no way they would let the no-call stand, as there was definitely contact to the head, arguably deliberate. So, right call.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

  13. #453
    The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Sure but there was no call at the time. so to say that they would have reviewed because it was a hit to the head? How would they know? I don't believe they would have gone back but for the crowd howling, however sure, they might have. It just seems awfully fortuitious.
    The lineman spoke to the refs and was clearly telling them he had seen it. Manurespreader doing what he does.

  14. #454
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,290

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruin View Post
    There's no "requirement" for sure, regardless of whether the team is the host or not and no, no team can "earn" that advantage.
    Welcome to the conversation. Stick with it long enough, and you'll quickly see how complicated & unwieldy this topic really is. Let's start with these examples.

    There's no such thing as earned home ice advantage? If you're going to spread that gospel, you're going to have to persuade the NHL, the NFL, the NBA and everyone else who awards home playoff games on the basis of regular season performance. The college hockey conference tournaments do the same.

    The issue here is whether home crowd advantage is the functional equivalent of home ice advantage. Complicated issue. Good arguments on both sides.

    Yup, it was for the money, and I don't see any problem with that. This is college hockey, not college basketball or football.
    If you really mean it, then you're in favor of using campus sites in the West. Clearly that's where the most potential profit is. In fact, as has been chronicled endlessly, they're the only sites that really work in the West, in terms of appropriate seating capacity and proximity to fans.

    The system of regional tournaments, as they are now, can never be "fair". Leave the question of "fairness" for peewee competition. Which regional site would be fair to Huntsville? ASU? How about Alaska's teams?
    If the multi-year conversation has proven anything, it's that no system is perfect. But we can strive for the best possible system, or at least the lesser of the evils.

    And please. We are where we are precisely because of demands for fairness. If it was just about the revenue, Yost & Mariucci would still be regularly hosting regionals.

    In the end, you are contradicting yourself. First, you state there should not be an advantage based on location, but then you say it would be fair if it existed based on seeding. So which one is it, then?
    Perhaps Stauber1's post was a bit spirited, but this is not a contradiction at all. Home Ice/Home Crowd is fair if earned, otherwise not. You get your performance bonus at work if you meet your target, otherwise not.
    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 04-01-2019 at 07:36 AM.

  15. #455
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,345

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    So the West regional would have been at the Ralph instead of Fargo. How much do you think that boosts the 4200 average attendance without UND in the mix?

    The Midwest regional would have been...at Yost? Madison? That would have driven attendance through the roof.

    Mankato still gets shipped to Providence regardless.

  16. #456
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    4,259

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    You get your performance bonus at work if you meet your target, otherwise not.
    We do? I want your job.

  17. #457
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,540
    Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    . you get your performance bonus at work if you meet your target, otherwise not.
    Oh wow is this cute

    Not funny
    But cute

  18. #458
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Maine (Black Bear Country)
    Posts
    619

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    Does anyone know when the future Hockey Regional Sites will be announced? I would like to see UMaine and the City of Portland, Maine apply to host a Regional at the Cross Insurance Arena. The Arena isn't on par with The Dunk, Manchester or Worcester but they did do a $30 + million dollar renovation a few years back that improved it to the point that they could host a Regional. The City of Portland is fantastic. The Old Port area, great restaurants, lots of bars, hotels, craft brew scene, etc.
    Attendance at Providence on Saturday was 7,180 and on Sunday 5,231. The Cross Arena has a capacity of 6,733.

  19. #459
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,885

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    Quote Originally Posted by pmcdonald View Post
    Does anyone know when the future Hockey Regional Sites will be announced? I would like to see UMaine and the City of Portland, Maine apply to host a Regional at the Cross Insurance Arena. The Arena isn't on par with The Dunk, Manchester or Worcester but they did do a $30 + million dollar renovation a few years back that improved it to the point that they could host a Regional. The City of Portland is fantastic. The Old Port area, great restaurants, lots of bars, hotels, craft brew scene, etc.
    Attendance at Providence on Saturday was 7,180 and on Sunday 5,231. The Cross Arena has a capacity of 6,733.
    Is that the same arena which hosted the D3 national championship a few years back? (Naming rights change so often, one can never keep track of what arena is what...)
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  20. #460
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    4,259

    Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Is that the same arena which hosted the D3 national championship a few years back? (Naming rights change so often, one can never keep track of what arena is what...)
    I believe it's the old Cumberland County Civic Center.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •