Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Wow, thanks!
    FTR, the AIC-SCSU stream wasn't the best quality (pretty sure it was the cable company; where we were watching, the hosts of the viewing party said even Netflix sucks in their neighborhood), so little details were lost at times. Some freeze-ups and such.

Now....let's go Q and show the hockey world what thugs and frauds ASU is.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    I didnít get to watch or listen in to games tonight but see st, cloud outshot 3-1 and osu outshot du by a wide margin.

Weíre these quality shots? Did scsu and osu carry the play?
    OSU looked to be better overall but rusty, everything on the offense was off just enough to have every scoring chance go south.
    One defensive mistake allowed a man to slip in unnoticed for a pass and come in on net unimpeded for the game winner.
    OSU had one of the best PP's in the country last season and couldn't score on even one of four PP's tonight.
    It was said last season Killer ran the PP and PP kill and Rohlik took that away from him this season. Bad move!
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-29-2019 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    I thought I saw a stat tonight that of the last 16 #1 seeds (not overall #1, just the 4 #1s) that lost, 7 were to Atlantic Hockey. AIC would make it 8, after tonight. Makes sense, since chances are they would get those really low seeds.

And woooooooooooo! Will be rockin' my AIC jersey again tomorrow!
    Here to laugh at the woooooooooo!

(Until the Mavs decide to follow suit tomorrow)

Watch out for the bull!

Quote Originally Posted by MavHockey14 View Post

Yeah, we can't say a thing until the Mavs win an NCAA game.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by MavHockey14 View Post

That was my one dig at the SCSU fans (they use the Ric Flair Woooooooooooooo! at their games/etc after a win, and I think after a goal). Other than that, I am not contacting any of them, even with condolences, until Sun at the earliest. I know better, and the SCSU fans I'm cool with, it's a matter of due respect.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by MavsFan View Post
    Yeah, we can't say a thing until the Mavs win an NCAA game.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    That was my one dig at the SCSU fans (they use the Ric Flair Woooooooooooooo! at their games/etc after a win, and I think after a goal). Other than that, I am not contacting any of them, even with condolences, until Sun at the earliest. I know better, and the SCSU fans I'm cool with, it's a matter of due respect.
    My comment was more so to Brentís point about the Ric Flair piece. (Also, as Iíve gotten to know Brent through the hears, Iíve picked up on his disdain for his exact post above. )

I genuinely feel sorry for DL and LWB.

Biggest NCAA Tournament upsets by Pairwise ranking:

-RIT (38) over Minnesota State (1) in 2015
    -Bemidji State (37) over Notre Dame (2) in 2009
    -AIC (31) over SCSU (1) in 2019
    -Ferris State (30) over SCSU (2) in 2016
    -Air Force (27) over SCSU (1) in 2018
    -RIT (25) over Denver (2) in 2010
    -Holy Cross (21) over MN (2) in 2006

- Nate Wells

EDIT:

14th consecutive year a No. 1 seed has lost to a No. 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

St. Cloud State's senior class has been one of the top 2 overall seeds three times and ended with zero NCAA Tournament wins and Bob Motzko leaving to coach the Gophers.
    Last edited by SteveO; 03-30-2019 at 02:05 AM.

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

SCSU, too funny
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Drunkard
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    But the goofs werenít #1 overall
    No, but the HC loss was still like manna from Heaven for some of us.

Makes one wonder how things wouldíve turned out if the gophers had won that third place game in the Final Five that year instead of UW. Iím guessing Bemidji and Holy Cross switch regionals.
    Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 03-30-2019 at 06:56 AM.

Well that was a a lot fun watching the games.
    OSU and Clarkson just not seasoned enough as they could not apply the dagger despite owning their opponents for long durations.
    I thought the Clarkson goalie, Kielly was so impressive, even the announcers had a hard time believing he would give one up.
    I am very happy for Jeff Jackson though.
    Well now that the bracket is busted, I hope BG and Mankato make some noise and Q kicks the crap out of ASU.

Have fun today everybody.....

Watching St.Cloud this season I thought they looked beatable to me and it wasn't until the championship game against Duluth did they play their best looking game.
    Could American International be the next Union and go the distance? Now that my team is out I have no problem rooting for an underdog.
    Usually I would stick with my conference but with Notre Dame in the B1G only for hockey I can't consider them part of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Watching St.Cloud this season I thought they looked beatable to me and it wasn't until the championship game against Duluth did they play their best looking game.
    Could American International be the next Union and go the distance? Now that my team is out I have no problem rooting for an underdog.
    Usually I would stick with my conference but with Notre Dame in the B1G only for hockey I can't consider them part of the family.
    Union was a one seed...

American International has tapped into the European recruiting market more than any NCAA team.

European players:

4 - Sweden
    2- Czech Republic
    1- Latvia
    1- Norway
    1- Slovakia
    1- Slovenia
    1- Ukraine

AIC got its first NCAA Tournament win before Minnesota State (6 NCAA appearances).

OSU looked to be better overall but rusty, everything on the offense was off just enough to have every scoring chance go south.
    One defensive mistake allowed a man to slip in unnoticed for a pass and come in on net unimpeded for the game winner.
    OSU had one of the best PP's in the country last season and couldn't score on even one of four PP's tonight.
    It was said last season Killer ran the PP and PP kill and Rohlik took that away from him this season. Bad move!
    OSU had only played one game in the previous 27 days, so the rust was not a surprise. OSU looked good for while down the stretch with a 7 game winning streak before playing the Gophers on Feb. 15. Then they took a nosedive and went 1-6-1 to end their season. As perhaps the oldest NCAA team (10 seniors), next year will be a tough year for the Buckeyes.

Not current, but interesting data:

1) I used the NCAA's definition of a flight (a trip greater than 350 miles) and I based my mileage on Google Maps.
    2) Obviously, this methodology is incapable of distinguishing "practically in-state," like Manchester, NH or Providence, RI for MA teams, nor can it separate out really long cross-country flights vs. shorter, quicker flights. But it's a decent start.
    3) All records are based on the regional rounds; I did not look at the Frozen Four.

To the data:

Overall 2008 - 2015:

Teams playing in-state are 25-15
    Teams traveling out of state by bus are 23-15
    Teams flying are 39-54

1 seeds are 9-1 in state, 15-3 by bus, 7-10 by flight
    2 seeds are 9-9 in state, 0-3 by bus, 9-12 by flight
    3 seeds are 4-3 in state, 8-8 by bus, 7-14 by flight
    4 seeds are 3-2 in state, 0-1 by bus, 15-18 by flight

- BC Interruption

Blackhawks!!!
    Yale and PC are the examples your looking for. Teams that made it into the tournament by the hair of their chiny chin chin.

Legend in everybodys mind

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    No, but the HC loss was still like manna from Heaven for some of us.
    It's still the most important Gopher game to evey opposing college hockey fan in America.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    Yale and PC are the examples your looking for. Teams that made it into the tournament by the hair of their chiny chin chin.
    And UMD. They even have a book titled .0001

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    Biggest NCAA Tournament upsets by Pairwise ranking:

-RIT (38) over Minnesota State (1) in 2015
    -Bemidji State (37) over Notre Dame (2) in 2009
    -AIC (31) over SCSU (1) in 2019
    -Ferris State (30) over SCSU (2) in 2016
    -Air Force (27) over SCSU (1) in 2018
    -RIT (25) over Denver (2) in 2010
    -Holy Cross (21) over MN (2) in 2006

- Nate Wells

EDIT:

14th consecutive year a No. 1 seed has lost to a No. 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

St. Cloud State's senior class has been one of the top 2 overall seeds three times and ended with zero NCAA Tournament wins and Bob Motzko leaving to coach the Gophers.
    Five of those seven are from Minnesota :-/

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
    AIC got its first NCAA Tournament win before Minnesota State (6 NCAA appearances).
    Hahahaha omg.

Thread Information