No announcement yet.

2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    They aren’t empty. Even the worst ones outdraw what we would see for full houses at 2/3 of the home rinks out there.
    But I woul guess the cost of holding it on campus would be much less than holding them at the neutral regional sites.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Are they close to making that now with empty regional sites?
      Yes. That's approximately how much the NC$$ made this year for the regionals. They make each of the four hosts pay $150000 up front. That money goes away if the regionals go back to campus. Even if the host schools all agree to the same 80/20 split attendance would have to go up at least 50% so you better hope St Cloud and Mankato don't lose in round one.

Why would the NC$$ take that risk?

Comment

• Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread - Regionals are the best weekend of hockey all year

The campus-siting skewed results. (Minnesota at Mariucci or Michigan at Yost were always a huge advantage for those two, no matter what their seeds were, for example.)

Relatively neutral sites are much better, both in terms of competitive-fairness and ticket-availability for travelers.

Empty seats don't keep me awake, but stacked-siting used to.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Regional guarantees: $150K per site plus 80% of the gross after the local host clears expenses.

Frozen Four has to be similar except with a higher guarantee.
          I meant under his plan. The NC$$ loses a ton of money. That has to be recouped somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            Yes. That's approximately how much the NC$$ made this year for the regionals. They make each of the four hosts pay $150000 up front. That money goes away if the regionals go back to campus. Even if the host schools all agree to the same 80/20 split attendance would have to go up at least 50% so you better hope St Cloud and Mankato don't lose in round one.

This makes too much sense for some people.

BAWT THE ATMOSFEAR WOULD BE SO TOTALLY AWESOME ON CAMPUS YO
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

To me, the question that this begs is: Why would anyone want to host a regional, at least in the west?

Sure, if the NCAA rakes in money with the current setup, there’s no incentive to change. But if host organizations/venues are losing money, why why would they want to submit bids? Are they making money, or at least covering their fixed expenses, even with far less than capacity crowds?

Comment

• Originally posted by CLS View Post
                To me, the question that this begs is: Why would anyone want to host a regional, at least in the west?

Sure, if the NCAA rakes in money with the current setup, there’s no incentive to change. But if host organizations/venues are losing money, why why would they want to submit bids? Are they making money, or at least covering their fixed expenses, even with far less than capacity crowds?
                That's why there aren't many sites in the west willing to bid, and the "Midwest" regional was hosted in Allentown.

Comment

For venues that keep bidding like Worcester, there's no way they are losing money. Sure the NCAA must be screwing them over but in the end they still have to be taking home a decent amount of money.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    For venues that keep bidding like Worcester, there's no way they are losing money. Sure the NCAA must be screwing them over but in the end they still have to be taking home a decent amount of money.
                    I don’t think there’s an issue in the East. The West, however…
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

For venues, particularly in the west, the risk vs reward is a factor. My spreadsheet is on another computer but if memory serves, the estimated profit for Allentown after up front costs and the 80/20 split was about $50,000. If your costs are over-budget or your attendees aren't free spenders who wolf down your concessions and buy lots of souvenirs that profit can disappear quickly. For example, if customers park their cars in a lot you don't own that's revenue you'll never see. That can cripple bids and make hosting a risk just not worth taking.

Comment

Google drive is your friend!

Comment

Working...
                        X