X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: >>> RIT Tigers Offseason: Looking forward to more in 2019-20 <<<

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
    I wonder if he is alluding to an existing D1 school or a school considering a move to D1 hockey?
    I would be shocked if there were any other D-I hockey programs that would look to move INTO the AHA. That's like going into the boss' office and asking to be demoted. It's not a downgrade to D-III, but it is a step down nonetheless. They don't really have the "cost containment" angle to sell anymore, but maybe if there is a bottom feeder in the WCHA that is having trouble keeping competitive due to finances and exorbitant travel costs, then maybe...
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
      Results?

Erik Brown - 70 Goals and 45 Assists, you might want to look where he finished on the D-I Career Scoring list for RIT...

Gabriel Valenzuela - 38 Goals 66 Assists

Abbott Girduckis - 30 Goals 63 Assists

Three guys in a class like that is special.

Liam Kerins first two seasons was 25 Goals and 18 Assists. Sadly the wheels came off for him his Junior year. It was nice to see him have a great year in the SPHL that earned him a promotion to the ECHL.

Give me another class? 2012 comes to mind, but remember that Tyler Brenner did not return for his senior year.

I know that you guys see nothing but Wins and Losses, but you forget that there are 22 other guys on this team. Also the quality of the other teams in the league have greatly improved...
      There's more to hockey than scoring, and frankly the fact that the class is so small is a detriment to it (Mark Logan and Christian Short are the other two members). The trio showed this year that they aren't quite great top line players - they were outplayed at even strength by their opposition overall, who tended to use their own top line against them. Their numbers are up there because they came into a team that was lacking in scoring, and needed those roles filled right away, as opposed to guys like Favot and Garbowsky who spent time in their first couple of years on the lower lines behind already established scorers. (Favot still managed to put up numbers despite that in his sophomore year) But in terms of elite numbers on a season to season basis, Erik Brown's junior year is really the only one that qualifies to that level, and Girduckis is the only one of the trio who I'd place in the upper tier of two way players (his senior season was probably the best season any of the 3 overall had).

I've been thinking about a top 20 or 25 list of players in RIT's D-1 era, and I have a hard time putting any of the members in this class in the top 10 overall. Clearly ahead of them are (in no particular order) Burt, Ringwald, Madalora, Favot, Garbowsky, Brenner, Lambert, and Tanev. Then comes guys who are around the same tier as Brown and Girduckis: Haltigan, Powell, Saracino, Kuqali, Noyes, McGowan, Ruby, McReynolds (ultimate heart and soul player), J. Mitchell, DeMichiel...probably forgetting a couple here. I purposely stayed away from most of the early era guys I didn't have the privilege to watch consistently - but I suspect a couple of those guys would belong near the top as well (Raymond spent two years in the AHL after graduating, Pinner got a cup of coffee in the NHL, there's a couple of other guys who could be in the discussion as well)

But anyway, you asked for a class, and I would say the 2011 class is certainly up there - Brenner did graduate in 2011, so he belongs in this class: (Brenner, Favot, Mike Janda, Sean Murphy, Jan Ropponen). Brenner and Favot pretty much carry this class, but I'd take 2 legit elite tier players over this year's class. I would also take Garbowski's senior class in 2015 (Garbowski, McGowan, Thompson, Brad Reid, Jordan Ruby).

For those who are wondering....my top 5 Tigers of all time:
      5. Cameron Burt - BURT BRINGS THE HURT! *ahem*. This spot was a really hard debate for me between Burt, Madolora, and Tyler Brenner. Burt and Brenner are the only two Tigers to put up 100 points in their first 3 seasons at the school at the D-1 level. Ultimately, it was Burt's 4th year at RIT as well as his selflessness in agreeing to shift to defense amidst an injury plagued season that pushes him over Brenner, IMO, and Madalora fails to make the top 5 in part due to something somewhat out of his control: the lack of postseason success. (Losing 1-0 to Air Force was far from Madalora's fault). Ultimately Burt did end up in the AHL for a handful of games, but has since gone overseas and still is active in Europe.

4. Chris Tanev - Undeniably the most talented player to ever put on an RIT sweater - Tanev was simply a better skater than everyone else on the ice, and thought the game at a higher level. Produced both offensively and defensively at this level, before becoming an extremely reliable puck moving stay at home defenseman at the NHL level.

3. Andrew Favot - The playmaker of the Favot/Brenner duo, Favot always played much bigger than his size. The 2010-11 line of Lynch/Favot/Brenner was probably RIT's 2nd best offensive line of all time, only behind the MGM line. Favot averaged more than a point per game over a three year span despite not seeing much PP time as a sophomore, and was much better in the defensive zone than you would think for a player of his size and stature. Unfortunately it's difficult at the next level for small guys who don't fly to even get a look, so Favot's post RIT playing days did not last very long.

2. Matt Garbowsky - His senior season was simply the most dominant offensive season RIT has ever seen, and it came packaged with a dominant two way game that allowed RIT's top line to dictate play every time it stepped out onto the ice no matter the opponent. Certainly disappointing that his junior year was cut short by injury, but the highs of his senior season more than make up for it. Personally, I think he got a bum deal from the Sabres organization before getting shipped off to Colorado where he would captain the ECHL's best team for two consecutive seasons before going overseas.

1. Dan Ringwald - Easily the most accomplished defenseman to stay all 4 years - his pairing with Tanev in his senior year was almost certainly one of the top 5 pairings in all of college hockey that year. Scored tons of points with the Tigers, but was by no means a liability in the defensive end. Probably the best PP QB to man the point at RIT during the D-1 era. Made it to the AHL where he played about half a season with one of the then AHL's best teams before heading overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
        Who knows why the AHA either wouldn't help or weren't asked. That would have been a bit more logical.

And... MAAC is not just a basketball conference. It's all sports (hockey notwithstanding), best I can tell.
        That AHA not being involved was the context clues I purposely was leaving behind.

Yes the MAC is more than just Basketball, that was me just getting the frustration of Canisius and Niagara caring more about Basketball off my chest.

Thank you for using the Naeger Translator...
        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
        The Mule
        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
          There's more to hockey than scoring, and frankly the fact that the class is so small is a detriment to it (Mark Logan and Christian Short are the other two members). The trio showed this year that they aren't quite great top line players - they were outplayed at even strength by their opposition overall, who tended to use their own top line against them. Their numbers are up there because they came into a team that was lacking in scoring, and needed those roles filled right away, as opposed to guys like Favot and Garbowsky who spent time in their first couple of years on the lower lines behind already established scorers. (Favot still managed to put up numbers despite that in his sophomore year) But in terms of elite numbers on a season to season basis, Erik Brown's junior year is really the only one that qualifies to that level, and Girduckis is the only one of the trio who I'd place in the upper tier of two way players (his senior season was probably the best season any of the 3 overall had).

I've been thinking about a top 20 or 25 list of players in RIT's D-1 era, and I have a hard time putting any of the members in this class in the top 10 overall. Clearly ahead of them are (in no particular order) Burt, Ringwald, Madalora, Favot, Garbowsky, Brenner, Lambert, and Tanev. Then comes guys who are around the same tier as Brown and Girduckis: Haltigan, Powell, Saracino, Kuqali, Noyes, McGowan, Ruby, McReynolds (ultimate heart and soul player), J. Mitchell, DeMichiel...probably forgetting a couple here. I purposely stayed away from most of the early era guys I didn't have the privilege to watch consistently - but I suspect a couple of those guys would belong near the top as well (Raymond spent two years in the AHL after graduating, Pinner got a cup of coffee in the NHL, there's a couple of other guys who could be in the discussion as well)

But anyway, you asked for a class, and I would say the 2011 class is certainly up there - Brenner did graduate in 2011, so he belongs in this class: (Brenner, Favot, Mike Janda, Sean Murphy, Jan Ropponen). Brenner and Favot pretty much carry this class, but I'd take 2 legit elite tier players over this year's class. I would also take Garbowski's senior class in 2015 (Garbowski, McGowan, Thompson, Brad Reid, Jordan Ruby).

For those who are wondering....my top 5 Tigers of all time:
          5. Cameron Burt - BURT BRINGS THE HURT! *ahem*. This spot was a really hard debate for me between Burt, Madolora, and Tyler Brenner. Burt and Brenner are the only two Tigers to put up 100 points in their first 3 seasons at the school at the D-1 level. Ultimately, it was Burt's 4th year at RIT as well as his selflessness in agreeing to shift to defense amidst an injury plagued season that pushes him over Brenner, IMO, and Madalora fails to make the top 5 in part due to something somewhat out of his control: the lack of postseason success. (Losing 1-0 to Air Force was far from Madalora's fault). Ultimately Burt did end up in the AHL for a handful of games, but has since gone overseas and still is active in Europe.

4. Chris Tanev - Undeniably the most talented player to ever put on an RIT sweater - Tanev was simply a better skater than everyone else on the ice, and thought the game at a higher level. Produced both offensively and defensively at this level, before becoming an extremely reliable puck moving stay at home defenseman at the NHL level.

3. Andrew Favot - The playmaker of the Favot/Brenner duo, Favot always played much bigger than his size. The 2010-11 line of Lynch/Favot/Brenner was probably RIT's 2nd best offensive line of all time, only behind the MGM line. Favot averaged more than a point per game over a three year span despite not seeing much PP time as a sophomore, and was much better in the defensive zone than you would think for a player of his size and stature. Unfortunately it's difficult at the next level for small guys who don't fly to even get a look, so Favot's post RIT playing days did not last very long.

2. Matt Garbowsky - His senior season was simply the most dominant offensive season RIT has ever seen, and it came packaged with a dominant two way game that allowed RIT's top line to dictate play every time it stepped out onto the ice no matter the opponent. Certainly disappointing that his junior year was cut short by injury, but the highs of his senior season more than make up for it. Personally, I think he got a bum deal from the Sabres organization before getting shipped off to Colorado where he would captain the ECHL's best team for two consecutive seasons before going overseas.

1. Dan Ringwald - Easily the most accomplished defenseman to stay all 4 years - his pairing with Tanev in his senior year was almost certainly one of the top 5 pairings in all of college hockey that year. Scored tons of points with the Tigers, but was by no means a liability in the defensive end. Probably the best PP QB to man the point at RIT during the D-1 era. Made it to the AHL where he played about half a season with one of the then AHL's best teams before heading overseas.
          When I evaluate a class I look at the overall stats and awards of each individual in that class. That's all they can really control, record and banners that are hang also depend on the other 3 classes. Now if you want to include your other points, I actually think you may some good arguments, but that again is why I said it was arguable. To act like this class didn't accomplish anything is ridiculous and also doesn't reflect where these guys did finish among other players. BTW, I will miss Mark Logan, you always need a guy like him in a class. Obviously I wish something worked out a little better for Short on the ice, he is a great guy. I'm still think one of the few mistakes the coaches made was how they managed him his Sophomore year and things might have gone differently for him, but it's moot at this point.

I agree with much of your comments on other players, thing is when you start putting them together in the respective class and comparing to this year class you see how special it was to have the numbers they did. I consider Brenner 2012 as I more go with when the guys come in together than when they leave cause guys do leave early. And we always try and rate Freshman classes at the start as it is. So I would put 2012 in the argument.

Don't get me started on +/- I got some dirty looks and still am dealing with some blow back when I pointed out how particularly horrible the numbers were in a past year. Amazing how upset some people get over pointing out a negative stat.......

Anyway I will say that was one of the two main reasons I say them go down to Niagara and what I believe are the two biggest areas that need to be improved next year.

1) Faster and more mobile Defense. Big key to beat RIT this year was pressure their defense when trying to break out. When Niagara did that they turned the game from a game I thought RIT was carrying the play to a even game the rest of the way. I don't think RIT was able to skate a puck out of their zone for the last two periods and was almost all stretch passes out of the zone.

2) Top line needs to produce more points than the other teams top line. I thought this years actually carried play more often than not, but left too many chances out there.

Other question for next season who is going to be scoring, there one or two candidates that come to mind. I have not run the numbers yet, but the small class leaving did do a lot of producing. There is the talent I think to cover that and maybe improve, but there will be pressure on some guys, how will they react????
          Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
          The Mule
          Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
            1) Faster and more mobile Defense. Big key to beat RIT this year was pressure their defense when trying to break out. When Niagara did that they turned the game from a game I thought RIT was carrying the play to a even game the rest of the way. I don't think RIT was able to skate a puck out of their zone for the last two periods and was almost all stretch passes out of the zone.

2) Top line needs to produce more points than the other teams top line. I thought this years actually carried play more often than not, but left too many chances out there.

Other question for next season who is going to be scoring, there one or two candidates that come to mind. I have not run the numbers yet, but the small class leaving did do a lot of producing. There is the talent I think to cover that and maybe improve, but there will be pressure on some guys, how will they react????
            Every time a team pressured them in the defensive zone, it was a huge problem and very frustrating to watch. It was such a problem every single game. I couldn't understand why every team didn't forecheck hard every time. Most of the time it turned into a dangerous turnover or a weak up-for-grabs flip into the neutral zone. This simply has to improve if they want to be competitive.

As for the scorers for next year, I see a few guys that I expect to step up. #1 for me is Alden Dupuis. I really like the way he plays. I know you mentioned +/- is a controversial stat (and it is)... But Dupuis is a +26 over the past 2 years, which is absolutely insane. The next highest on the team over the past 2 seasons is Jordan Peacock with a +6. I think we'll see a break-out for him next year.

The freshmen line also showed promise off and on, especially later in the season. I know Wayne is a big fan of Calverley and thinks he has a lot of potential. I agree. He seems to have a natural instinct in the offensive zone and good puck handling skills. I was a bit disappointed by Petrucci. Coming off a year where he had 52 goals and 48 assists in 54 games in juniors, I was really hoping that some of that would transition into college. Obviously you can't read too much into juniors stats, but I feel like scoring almost a goal a game at any level has to be an indicator of some sort of scoring instinct. Let's hope something clicks for him and he starts producing next year.

Comment

Likely a surprise to no one, but CHN is reporting that Wayne Wilson interviewed for the BG head coach position.

https://***********/chnews/status/1119312978724175872
              Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
              College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
              Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
              Men's Frozen Four 2010
              Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
              Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                Likely a surprise to no one, but CHN is reporting that Wayne Wilson interviewed for the BG head coach position.

https://***********/chnews/status/1119312978724175872
                There were those here who thought it was preposterous Wilson would even have interest, let alone be interviewed. Their orange tinted glasses got one shade lighter today.
                RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                  There were those here who thought it was preposterous Wilson would even have interest, let alone be interviewed. Their orange tinted glasses got one shade lighter today.
                  Not surprised nor should anybody else be, WW is more than qualified as we here all know. Now we wait. Happy Easter and Passover.
                  RPI Engineers
                  RIT Tigers
                  ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Not surprised nor should anybody else be, WW is more than qualified as we here all know. Now we wait. Happy Easter and Passover.
                    BGSU announced this morning that assistant coach Ty Eigner will become the eighth head hockey coach of Bowling Green State University. As a Falcon fan, I am very happy with this news as Ty has been an extremely important part of the rise of BG Hockey back into the national landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
                      BGSU announced this morning that assistant coach Ty Eigner will become the eighth head hockey coach of Bowling Green State University. As a Falcon fan, I am very happy with this news as Ty has been an extremely important part of the rise of BG Hockey back into the national landscape.
                      Thank you for this John. Big sigh of relief from the majority of RIT fans. I wish Bowling Green well, the selection makes sense in keeping the current program in tact. Whew!
                      RPI Engineers
                      RIT Tigers
                      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

BREAKING NEWS: Athletic director Lou Spiotti just announced at the team year-end banquet that Wayne Wilson was signed to a new six-year contract on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                          BREAKING NEWS: Athletic director Lou Spiotti just announced at the team year-end banquet that Wayne Wilson was signed to a new six-year contract on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Well played Wayne.
                          RPI Engineers
                          RIT Tigers
                          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Adam Brubacher and Darren Brady are next year’s captains with Chris McKay and Shawn Cameron wearing the A.

Comment

Thank you for this John. Big sigh of relief from the majority of RIT fans. I wish Bowling Green well, the selection makes sense in keeping the current program in tact. Whew!
                              I am glad that you are happy as well. Ty Eigner is also a BG grad that has had a huge part in BG's resurgence. I look forward to seeing RIT play BG in the Ice Breaker Tournament.

Comment

Well played Wayne.
                                So did he use the interview as leverage, or was the contract extension his backup plan in case he didn't get the job?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X