X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers Offseason: Looking forward to more in 2019-20 <<<

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
    Short response: NO!!!!!!!!

Longer explanation. I think saying light years better is a bit debatable. While it is true that USA Hockey has done a great job improving this team I think your under selling the old teams. Remember these are under 18s playing our freshman are 19-20 years old. BTW, can anyone remember a player who was on the natural 18-21 college schedule. Bagley was the only one I can remember and he transferred for his last two season with RIT.

Guys like Phil Kessel, Patrick Kane, and Jack Hughes still only come around so often. And btw when they do come around I would love to see RIT play them. I saw Phil Kessel play Canisius years ago on the U18 team it was great and I love to have seen him against RIT. Think of what it could be like if RIT was to advertise a game at the GPC with a guy on Team USA that is widely consider to be the number 1 draft pick in the NHL. Hell if they advertise that they may actually sell out without having to give away tickets. It's a great chance for the team to play top talent like what they will see in the NCAA tournament. And I would not wave the white flag either, lets look at the results for this team last year vs. College Teams.

Ferris State 1-3 L
    Notre Dame 4-1 W
    Michigan 6-3 W
    Minnesota 1-7 L
    BU 4-5 L
    Harvard 6-3 W
    Dathmouth 6-4 W
    Bowling Green 4-5 L
    Maine 6-4 W
    Michigan State 0-1 L
    Lake Superior 3-7 L
    St. Cloud 6-4 W
    North Dakota (Guys who lost twice to Canisius) 2-6 L
    Holy Cross 6-3 W
    Duluth 4-2 W
    Adrian 8-3 W
    Wisconsin 6-2 W

This team is good, but also beatable and would be great for RIT to host them!
    Very angry there. Maybe try some Tai-Chi. Helps to re-center.

But back to the point...
    Back in the day, the D-III Tigers were competitive with and even could beat the NTDP U18's. There's absolutely NO WAY those teams would have posted a 9-7 record against D-I opponents (especially of the caliber in your list). That program is leaps and bounds ahead of where it used to be. I never said RIT couldn't beat them, but was just making the point that it would definitely not be an easy game at all. I know full well that they are merely teenagers playing against mostly 20-23 year-old players, but their talent level is what gives them a chance every night. And that talent level has grown significantly in that program over the years.
    We did host that team with a soon-to-be top draft pick when Erik Johnson played at Ritter. I believe it was a sellout, but again that was Ritter. IIRC, that may have been the Tigers first D-I season (05-06)?
    I'm not so sure NHL future draft prospects can raise too much of the interest level for a Tigers game, especially in an exhibition. A large number of college hockey fans are going to support their school and know (or care) very little about teams/players from elsewhere. They get a good idea when their teams are playing important big games, but generally aren't too concerned with who is on the other team. To get their attention, the names would have to already be well known names, which means already NHL players. Obviously, that would mean the U21 team would have to make an appearance and kick most college teams' rear ends (that's never going to happen, obviously). There are a core of true fans of the sport that would know who some of these U18 guys are and actually want to see them play, but we're kind of in the minority. It wouldn't boost attendance all that much, IMO.
    Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 06-20-2019, 11:46 AM.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Ferris State 1-3 L
      Notre Dame 4-1 W
      Michigan 6-3 W
      Minnesota 1-7 L
      BU 4-5 L
      Harvard 6-3 W
      Dathmouth 6-4 W
      Bowling Green 4-5 L
      Maine 6-4 W
      Michigan State 0-1 L
      Lake Superior 3-7 L
      St. Cloud 6-4 W
      North Dakota (Guys who lost twice to Canisius) 2-6 L
      Holy Cross 6-3 W
      Duluth 4-2 W
      Adrian 8-3 W
      Wisconsin 6-2 W

This team is good, but also beatable and would be great for RIT to host them!
      The NTDP team has a very large roster. And they will often suit up much different teams depending on who they are playing. Often, the "second" team players get a chance to play against D3 schools, while the top notch players are in the lineup against D1 schools. So, you can't really compare results of the NTDP and extrapolate what your team will do against them.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
        The NTDP team has a very large roster. And they will often suit up much different teams depending on who they are playing. Often, the "second" team players get a chance to play against D3 schools, while the top notch players are in the lineup against D1 schools. So, you can't really compare results of the NTDP and extrapolate what your team will do against them.
        Thanks Russel I was going to mention that then had to run, that response was going to be longer than it turned out.

Point is either way, I bet it will be a good game so I have to disagree with the idea that it's a good thing that RIT is not playing that team any more. If you look at all those game many of them are close with mix results.
        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
        The Mule
        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

There are 24 players officially on the U18 roster. Not much more than an NCAA roster.
          Just saying.

So anyways... My point was just to commend the vast improvements the US NTDP has made in the past couple decades, not start a debate about whether RIT can compete with them or not. Geez. Make one off-handed comment and apparently ruin everyone's day. RELAX
          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
            There are 24 players officially on the U18 roster. Not much more than an NCAA roster.
            Just saying.

So anyways... My point was just to commend the vast improvements the US NTDP has made in the past couple decades, not start a debate about whether RIT can compete with them or not. Geez. Make one off-handed comment and apparently ruin everyone's day. RELAX
            So with a 24 man roster for the US NTDP and a similar size roster for an NCAA Div I team, there could be a massive swing in the calibre on the ice for any given game. If the DI team doesn't need a win at the particular point in the season, it is unlikely that the Div I team gives big minutes to their top 6 forwards and top 4 D. Likely using a backup or third goalie. If they need a win for team moral or confidence, then a completely different roster. Just sayin'

Comment

Just saying.
              I wonder if they slimmed down the roster over the years. They used to carry a lot more players.

No you chill out. I was merely educating people as to the make up of the NTDP roster and how you have to be careful of drawing conclusions. Which apparently you just did. A terribly wrong conclusion. Otherwise, I don't give a crap whether RIT could beat them or not or whether they even play them.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Today’s the longest day of the year. In case anyone was wondering. Hope you all enjoy it. 😄
                RPI Engineers
                RIT Tigers
                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                  Today’s the longest day of the year. In case anyone was wondering. Hope you all enjoy it. 😄
                  I think I will, thank you very much!

Getting the snow blower out tomorrow🙃
                  RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Point is either way, I bet it will be a good game so I have to disagree with the idea that it's a good thing that RIT is not playing that team any more. If you look at all those game many of them are close with mix results.
                    The main reason RIT used to schedule the NTDP program was that it needed games during the D-III era when the ECAC West only had four teams. They could get games against SUNYAC teams at home and some ECAC East and NESCAC if they traveled. (Sometimes teams didn't always return the trip. Middlebury still owes a couple games ) RIT also needed some games in the transition season. But since then, with 28 league games, filling six NCAA games and a Canadian exhibition hasn't been difficult.

Comment

Just saying.

I think they take kids from the U17 team on some of these trips.

I really think your over reading things. Here, I was being a bit dramatic in my short response. I loved these games!

The NTDP is not the only team that has improved since those days. It would be a great series if it could be done.
                      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                      The Mule
                      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Wasn't he committed to RIT: https://***********/blakehumphrey34/...860017152?s=21 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                          Yes. He has deleted that tweet. Verbal commit in February.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                            Yes. He has deleted that tweet. Verbal commit in February.
                            I guess verbal commits aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Can't imagine why he'd shirk RIT for Providence. Maybe they offered him an athletic scholarship.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

Can't imagine why he'd shirk RIT for Providence.

Powers &8^]
                              Reasonable chance to play for National Championship? (aside from the scholarship thing, of course)

Comment

A terribly wrong conclusion.
                                Either I'm having trouble following what you've said or you're saying the US NTDP program hasn't improved in the last 20 years and that concluding that it has would be "terribly wrong". Interesting.
                                Agree to disagree.

Comment

Working...
                                X