X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers Offseason: Looking forward to more in 2019-20 <<<

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
    Wayne Wilson on the radio saying that AHA will try 3 on 3 OT after a 5 on 5 OT period next season...
    The official announcement will be this week, including which standings format the league's athletic directors have voted for.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenskates
      I am not sure if I like the 3 point system. It creates a wider spread between the rankings. It is more fun to have a loser point and keep more teams in the running until later in the season. Just my $.02

The CJHL used 3x3 last year and it was fun to watch. I am certain the college teams can make it exciting.
      Eh. I think it only appears to make a bigger difference in the standings, because you're getting bigger chunks for every win.

Basically, if you're 9 points back, it would be the equivalent of 6 points in the old system. 3 wins and 3 losses from the other team still gets you caught up. Loser points can actually make it more difficult to catch up, because there can be games where two teams ahead of you are playing, and one gets the full allotment of points while the other still gets half the available points. In a system that hands out the same amount of points per night, a point earned by one of those teams is by definition a point lost by the other one. As long as you are gaining full points from your games, you will catch up quicker in the 3 point system than the loser point system.
      Last edited by jflory81; 07-16-2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
        Eh. I think it only appears to make a bigger difference in the standings, because you're getting bigger chunks for every win.
        Good points.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenskates View Post
          It is more fun to have a loser point and keep more teams in the running until later in the season. Just my $.02.
          fivethirtyeight.com mathematically proved this to be a falsehood.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Myles Powell has signed with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the AHL. I'm disappointed he won't be with the Amerks, but I'm happy to see him get another shot in the AHL. He'll get to play with Matt Abt as well. The Penguins play the Amerks in Rochester on December 11th. I'll definitely be going to that game if they're both still on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              fivethirtyeight.com mathematically proved this to be a falsehood.
              Two other things about the loser point as I'm looking through some old articles on the above mentioned site.

1) It encourages teams to play for OT. This has produced lackluster hockey in the third period of close games, as both teams know they are guaranteed to get one point if they go to OT. So, why risk going for a win and exposing yourself to a loss instead, especially when there is no extra reward to win in regulation (i.e., get three points instead of two)? "Goal scoring falls dramatically in the third period of tied games, right when a game should be coming to its climax." Basically, teams play not to win in order to make the playoffs:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ay-not-to-win/

2) Despite what I wrote in my original post, the loser point did change the identity of the 2012 Stanley Cup champion, the Los Angeles Kings. The only reason they made the playoffs (remember, they were the last team in that year) was because of the loser point. Their record was 40-42 while Dallas' record was 42-40. However, LA got 15 loser points while Dallas only had five. How someone can justify a team with a worse record being ahead of a team with a better record is beyond me.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

2) Despite what I wrote in my original post, the loser point did change the identity of the 2012 Stanley Cup champion, the Los Angeles Kings. The only reason they made the playoffs (remember, they were the last team in that year) was because of the loser point. Their record was 40-42 while Dallas' record was 42-40. However, LA got 15 loser points while Dallas only had five. How someone can justify a team with a worse record being ahead of a team with a better record is beyond me.
                That's true to a point, but (like it or not - I don't) the "loser point" system is not counting all losses the same. Some still don't see a SO (or OT for a few) loss as being a real "loss", hence the award of the single point prior to OT. LA had a lot of those that season, if I remember correctly. The "loser point" did not alter the standings, the league rules did. According to the NHL rules, LA had a better record than Dallas (whether it makes us want to vomit or not). Dallas' record only looks better because you grouped all losses together into one column.
                Even if there was the old 2-points for a win, 0-points for a loss system in place, there's no guarantee that the records would have looked as you list them here. As you pointed out, the point system in place likely affects the way games are played. There's no way to know for sure how the individual games would have turned out, and therefore how the standings would have shaken out in the end. It's impossible to say for sure that Dallas would have finished above LA in the standings that way either.
                Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 07-17-2019, 12:23 PM.
                Can't we all just get along?
                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Brad McGowan has signed with HC Gherdëina of the Alps Hockey League (Italy, Austria, Slovenia), which is the top tier league in that area.

It's great to see a lot of former Tigers continuing their professional career. Other former Tigers that played professionally last year but haven't signed with anyone yet: Steve Pinizzotto, Josh Mitchell, Caleb Cameron, Todd Skirving, Danny Smith, Brady Norrish, Max Mikowski, and Abbott Girduckis.

Comment

Well the new overtime rules are official.

Long story short: 3 points available per game. All 3 to the winner if won in regulation or during the 1st overtime (which is still 5 minutes, 5-on-5).

If the game is tied after the 5-on-5 overtime, 1 point is awarded to each team. Then they will play a 3-on-3 overtime, and if it's still tied after that, a shootout. The winner gets the extra point.

It all seems pretty silly to me, but I suppose I'm more of a "traditionalist". I guess most people don't really appreciate a good old fashioned "hard fought tie".
                    Last edited by Haaafs; 07-22-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Haaafs View Post
                      Well the new overtime rules are official.

Long story short: 3 points available per game. All 3 to the winner if won in regulation or during the 1st overtime (which is still 5 minutes, 5-on-5).

If the game is tied after the 5-on-5 overtime, 1 point is awarded to each team. Then they will play a 3-on-3 overtime, and if it's still tied after that, a shootout. The winner gets the extra point.

It all seems pretty silly to me, but I suppose I'm more of a "traditionalist". I guess most people don't really appreciate a good old fashioned "hard fought tie".
                      I'm glad they went to that point system once they decided to go beyond the 5x5 overtime.

I don't mind the 3x3.

I don't need the shootout. Especially since it will eat into my drinking time...
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

I'm glad they went to that point system once they decided to go beyond the 5x5 overtime.

I don't mind the 3x3.

I don't need the shootout. Especially since it will eat into my drinking time...
                        Yeah, it's the best possible point system if they insist on no ties. Still don't love the shootout, but at least there's a couple of OT periods to give teams a chance to score.

Comment

Tigers announce incoming class of 2023: https://www.ritathletics.com/news/20...t-sweater.aspx

Comment

More on RIT's recruits: https://www.pucksandpaws.com/rit-men...class-of-2023/

Comment

Newfoundland Growlers have signed former Tiger Todd Skirving to a contract for 2019-20: https://nlgrowlers.com/en/201920news...-sign-skriving

Comment

So any thoughts on Joes departure?

https://empire8.com/news/2019/8/1/ge...missioner.aspx
                                RPI Engineers
                                RIT Tigers
                                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Working...
                                X