Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2019: Every Year at Playoff Time, The Dodgers Find A Way to Choke.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2019: Every Year at Playoff Time, The Dodgers Find A Way to Choke.

Fastest team to 200 homeruns? The Minnesota Twins.

The end is nigh.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      Fastest team to 200 homeruns? The Minnesota Twins.

The end is nigh.
      This year. This year isn't a year we're going to look back proudly on.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        This year. This year isn't a year we're going to look back proudly on.
        No, ever. Knocked off the 2005 Rangers tonight.

But, I agree. I don't expect this record, along with being the only team with 9 games with 5 homeruns, will stand long.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Mookie Betts is good at baseball. 3 HR so far tonight!
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            2 days ago was the first date in MLB history on which a different player hit 3 HR on 3 consecutive days.

Betts yesterday makes it 4.

Manfordball is bad. K, BB, HR. Little League.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
              Ruthian.

Before Friday's game, Betts met with a child from the Make-A-Wish foundation, 10-year-old Nico Sapienza, who asked him to hit a home run for him.

"I'm glad he came," Betts said. "He's our good-luck charm. He's a great kid. I think him and his family had fun down at BP. If I can use the platform I have to make people smile like that, then I know I've done something well."

"For [Betts] to walk him around and meet everybody, it was a great day for everybody," manager Alex Cora said. "I know that Mookie feels good about what happened. I don't know if he promised anything, but if he did promise, well ... it was a great night for everybody that was involved with that."
              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

I came across this a few minutes ago on Twitter. Copying and pasting from JJ Cooper, Executive Editor for Baseball America:

1. Yep, I'm Tweeting about the AAA ball again.
                In AAA right now, players are hitting HRs at 159 percent of the rate they hit them in 2018. Already, AAA hitters have hit 788 more HRs than AAA hit in all of 2018.
                Here's what's amazing. At AA/HiA/LoA, HR rates are actually down.

2. AA hitters are hitting HRs at 91% of 2018's rate. HiA? 94%. LoA? 95%.
                With the same training, the same "find a pitch you can hit hard in the air" approach that AAA hitters have, HRs aren't up elsewhere in the minors.
                It's the ball. And I'm not sure if it's anything else.

3. Of the 29 AAA teams that haven't moved this year, 22 have already topped their HR total for all of last year. Six of them have already hit 50+ more HRs than they hit all of last year.

4. If anyone hasn't been following me I should clarify. In 2018 all the minors used the MiLB ball. This year, only AAA switched to the MLB ball. So we have an experiment with (arguably) one variable and the HR rate has skyrocketed, only at the level with the changed ball.

5. Runs Per Game

AAA: 6.0 (121% of last year)
                AA: 4.1 (94% of last year)
                HiA: 4.2 (95% of last year)
                LoA: 4.3 (100% of last year)

6. Avg Time of Game (9 inning game)
                PCL 3:04 (up 12 minutes from last year)
                IL: 2:51 (up 9 minutes from last year)

The Texas League is up 9 minutes from last year among non-Triple-A leagues. The Cal League is up 7 minutes. All other full season leagues are up 4 minutes or less.
                In a nutshell, it's the ball, stupid.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

I'd say the majority of it is the ball. However, with analytics taking over, that is also contributing. No one wants a guy like Ichiro anymore (relatively). It's all about launch angles and HRs. For the time being, you won't see a team like the Twins "piranhas" for the next few years, if ever again.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    I'd say the majority of it is the ball. However, with analytics taking over, that is also contributing. No one wants a guy like Ichiro anymore (relatively). It's all about launch angles and HRs. For the time being, you won't see a team like the Twins "piranhas" for the next few years, if ever again.
                    I don't put this on analytics at all. They switched balls in AAA and homers went bat**** crazy. Up almost 60% They didn't change balls in the lower levels, and HRs are down. They're not teaching different things in AA than AAA all of a sudden.

Its ALL the ball.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      I don't put this on analytics at all. They switched balls in AAA and homers went bat**** crazy. Up almost 60% They didn't change balls in the lower levels, and HRs are down. They're not teaching different things in AA than AAA all of a sudden.

Its ALL the ball.
                      Minor leagues, sure. I was referring to ramping up to MLB. I should have clarified.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                        Minor leagues, sure. I was referring to ramping up to MLB. I should have clarified.
                        Sure. But I'm talking about a one year change. A 60% spike in ONE YEAR should raise red flags everywhere, especially when all other lower levels are flat-to-down. If it was all analytics, you'd see a jump in homers across the board, but we're not.

God, that was fun...

Comment

It. Is. 100%. The. Ball.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I don't think MLB ever got past the "chicks dig the long ball." Since we can't juice players, we juiced the ball instead.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Speaking of the ball, Las Vegas set a Pacific Coast League record with 11 home runs in one game the other night (including three from Sean Murphy). It's flatly absurd.
                              https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                              https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                              NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                              Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                I don't think MLB ever got past the "chicks dig the long ball." Since we can't juice players, we juiced the ball instead.
                                Mookie wears his T-shirt all the time.... sad how that slogan has been forgotten
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X