Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2019: Every Year at Playoff Time, The Dodgers Find A Way to Choke.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2019: Every Year at Playoff Time, The Dodgers Find A Way to Choke.

First pitches are dangerous.

@PitchingNinja: White Sox First Pitch (w/ Motion Tail). https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/st...706945/photo/1
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The Moral Panic Circus is starting up again, about netting. It's got everything: an imperiled child, a dead mother; many tubs will be thumped before this round is over.

Good thing there are no real problems in the country to drum up action about.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        The Moral Panic Circus is starting up again, about netting. It's got everything: an imperiled child, a dead mother; many tubs will be thumped before this round is over.

Good thing there are no real problems in the country to drum up action about.
        I thought you were one of the posters lecturing me that just because there are larger problems to solve, it doesn't mean we shouldn't try to fix all problems?

All teasing aside, there really is no reason in the world that people are still getting crushed by baseballs along the foul ball lines. First, the technology (netting) exists and has been used for eternity. The reason we have it behind home plate is to prevent people from getting crushed by foul balls. The myth we keep telling ourselves is that only those seats behind home plate are in a position where we can't defend ourselves.

I think I posted this a couple of years ago, but one of the Universities out west (maybe Oregon or Washington) has a sports science division. They did a study on the dangers of foul balls, and Bryant Gumbel had them on his HBO show.

Basically, they set up a plexiglass wall a certain distance from a pitching machine, approximately the same distance as someone sitting in the first few rows of the first section of seats beyond the outfield end of the dugout. They then had volunteers sit in a chair behind the wall as the pitching machine shot baseballs at them at a rate of about 95-100 mph, about the same velocity as a baseball coming off a bat when lined foul.

Even those people who knew the ball was coming and were staring at the pitching machine had little or no shot of ducking or fending off the ball. If you were talking to a friend but still paying attention to the game, or eating or drinking something, you'd be in the ambulance before you knew what happened.

If you sit in those seats without netting in front of you, the only reason you haven't had your face caved in by a line shot is the bullet has missed you. You have no control over it.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          I thought you were one of the posters lecturing me that just because there are larger problems to solve, it doesn't mean we shouldn't try to fix all problems?
          I knew this was coming. Guilty.

My advice to fans is to put down your cell phone, especially if you bring your brat along.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            I knew this was coming. Guilty.

My advice to fans is to put down your cell phone, especially if you bring your brat along.
            That's excellent advice, if for no other reason than they'll reduce the amount they annoy me.

I love attending mlb games, and I love sitting close to the field. But after seeing that HBO show, I'm either sitting behind the netting, or I'm going far enough down the foul line that I at least have a fighting chance.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

These Pittsburgh Crawfords uniforms are beautiful.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Draft time.

4 minutes to #1 selection.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

To no ones surprise.

#1 Baltimore Orioles
                  Adley Rutschman - C (Oregon St)
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

#2 KC : Bobby Witt Jr. - SS (HS)
                    #3 CWS : Andrew Vaughn - 1B (Cal)
                    #4 MIA : JJ Bleday - OF (Vandy)
                    #5 DET : Riley Greene - OF (HS)
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Seattle can make bonehead plays too!

Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

McCutchen out for the season with a torn ACL. Not that I like the Phillies or anything, but this makes me sad.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          Seattle can make bonehead plays too!
                          That throw was perfect.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Yes it was. Holy cow.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
                              McCutchen out for the season with a torn ACL. Not that I like the Phillies or anything, but this makes me sad.
                              Yah, one of mookie’s favs
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                That throw was perfect.
                                Woulda been out at the plate!
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X