Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2019: Every Year at Playoff Time, The Dodgers Find A Way to Choke.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    "Chicks dig the long ball."
    Mookie has this T-shirt in the rotation.

Oldie but goodie
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: MLB 2019: Every Year at Playoff Time, The Dodgers Find A Way to Choke.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      I dunno. I imagine BA's are up and if so a possible kink in this claim would be are the average # of 2Bs and 3Bs per game up or down over the same time period.

Also analytics haven't just improved hitting. They assist pitching and defense, coaching decisions, lineups, batting orders...

How many pitcher overlays have been shared at GPL showing just filthy pitches that make the hitter look absolutely silly? Being able to release the ball at the same exact angle yet the pitch could be a 2-seamer or a breaking pitch?

It's the ball, Jerry. The ball.
      I think we're on pace this year for a record low in the number of triples per game. I'll have to look and see about AVG.

EDIT: https://www.baseball-reference.com/l.../MLB/bat.shtml

Triples per game would be an all-time low (barely). Doubles/game are about average. Batting averages haven't been this low since 1972, the last year without a DH. Homers per game are at 1.32 right now, the highest rate ever. Ever. The next highest is 1.26/game, in 2017. Runs/game is at 4.62, roughly the middle of the pack, maybe a tick above average.

These numbers appear to be per team, per game.
      Last edited by Hammer; 05-24-2019, 02:27 PM.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        I think we're on pace this year for a record low in the number of triples per game. I'll have to look and see about AVG.
        I think the Royals alone will keep 3B afloat.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          I think the Royals alone will keep 3B afloat.
          That's okay. The Orioles pitching have the homers covered.

As an aside, in 1968 there were 20 teams in the majors instead of the 30 we have today, but we have seen nearly as many homers so far in 2019 (1,950) as we saw in the entirely of the 1968 season (1,995).
          Last edited by Hammer; 05-24-2019, 02:32 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
            That's okay. The Orioles pitching have the homers covered.

As an aside, in 1968 there were 20 teams in the majors instead of the 30 we have today, but we have seen nearly as many homers so far in 2019 (1,950) as we saw in the entirely of the 1968 season (1,995).
            Bob Gibson retired.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Turned on the Twins game. They immediately gave up 4 runs. Stopped watching. Now they've come back.

Twins need 4 HR tonight to tie the 50 game record (Mariners) of 102. They have 2 so far.
              Last edited by JF_Gophers; 05-24-2019, 08:35 PM.
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                I dunno. I imagine BA's are up and if so a possible kink in this claim would be are the average # of 2Bs and 3Bs per game up or down over the same time period.

Also analytics haven't just improved hitting. They assist pitching and defense, coaching decisions, lineups, batting orders...

How many pitcher overlays have been shared at GPL showing just filthy pitches that make the hitter look absolutely silly? Being able to release the ball at the same exact angle yet the pitch could be a 2-seamer or a breaking pitch?

It's the ball, Jerry. The ball.
                I'm fine with WHIP and OPS (even OPS+).

Other than that, gee, let's see how many other analytics can we come up with? What about the GRIT factor?
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Kepler hits #3.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Strikeouts are at a record high, and BA's are down to the pre-DH levels. Hits/game are around the deadball/mid 60's era levels. If you adjust the ball, this is really going to be ugly. We'd be headed back to 1965-style baseball, where 4-3 is a slugfest.

Lowering the mound and/or pushing back the mound (and I've read about that, too) are going to do nothing but injure more arms, especially with these guys throwing this hard with movement. The human arm can only do so much.
                    Last edited by Hammer; 05-24-2019, 08:47 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      Turned on the Twins game. They immediately gave up 4 runs. Stopped watching. Now they've come back.

Twins need 4 HR tonight to tie the 50 game record (Mariners) of 102. They have 2 so far.
                      At 101 now
                      Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

They ain't gonna do it. Unless they give up 7+ runs in the ninth.

Edit: They didn't. Twins.
                        Last edited by state of hockey; 05-24-2019, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Matt Olson with a third successful bunt against the shift since he came off the injured list about 2 weeks ago. Think some other hitters should take note
                          https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                          https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                          NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                          Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

I went to the twins game and only saw one homerun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              I went to the twins game and only saw one homerun.
                              Well clearly you should ask for your money back.

Comment

@Stadium: Mallex Smith stole 2nd, 3rd, & home on 6 pitches. 🤯

Nope, not kidding... #TrueToTheBlue https://***********/Stadium/status/1...091264/video/1
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X