Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2019: Every Year at Playoff Time, The Dodgers Find A Way to Choke.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2019: Every Year at Playoff Time, The Dodgers Find A Way to Choke.

Yaz just crushed the ball 472 feet.

KIELBASA POWER!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

This is great.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Goddammit Cleveland. Go away.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Mets come back and are now 9 of their last 11.

Hmm.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Mets come back and are now 9 of their last 11.

Hmm.
            It's not 1969, right?
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Boomstick is booming again.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

The Tigers played their final game this afternoon in what used to be called The Ballpark in Arlington.

The fact that we're now abandoning 25 year old stadiums is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in sports. That's 2 of them now in MLB in the last couple years.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  The Tigers played their final game this afternoon in what used to be called The Ballpark in Arlington.

The fact that we're now abandoning 25 year old stadiums is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in sports. That's 2 of them now in MLB in the last couple years.
                  Quite ironic seeing as MLB is the one sport where nostalgic value is a thing. You got to think that 2 of the 3 California parks will continue to play the nostalgia card till baseball ceases to exist. Oakland will just be a clown show and will quite literally fall apart during a game before replacement. I guess you can put Kaufmann into the category with the LA teams seeing as they just dumped a crap ton of cash into that building as well.

Beyond those, there really is no real value to be had in holding onto a stadium, especially if you can get a municipality to cover your tab.

Edit to add: Obviously Fenway and Wrigley are untouchable at this point. You can rip out the inside and rebuild, but the outside facade and interior quirks will remain for ever.
                  Last edited by RaceBoarder; 08-04-2019, 08:54 PM.
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Baseball stadiums have historically lasted 40-50 years before you have to have a serious conversation about renovate/rebuild. The Yankees played at Yankee Stadium for 51 years before they closed and gutted it in 1973. Tiger Stadium went over 60 years before it got some serious attention after the 1976 season. Kaufmann stadium (Kansas City) is over 40 years old, and they've sunk money into it. Dodger Stadium is in the same boat. Even the old cookie cutters built in the late 60's/early 70's got 30+ years, and Busch Stadium stood for 40 seasons. The disaster that currently resides in Oakland opened in 1968, so we're over 50 years now on that one.

Now they're barely lasting a generation. Turner Field was built for the 1996 Olympics, with the understanding that it would be the Braves' new field for the 1997 season. That one's already gone (at lease Georgia State University is using the field now). Arlington is going after this year. That one opened in 1994. This is absurd.

The only two places where I can see an obvious need are Oakland and Tampa. Other than that, we've got 5 old ballparks (pre-1989), and everyone else has relatively new digs. I don't want to hear another word about how any other team "needs" new facilities.

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      ...Edit to add: Obviously Fenway and Wrigley are untouchable at this point. You can rip out the inside and rebuild, but the outside facade and interior quirks will remain for ever.
                      I'm a diehard Red Sox fan (this past week has been a cause for indigestion). Fenway Park needs to go.

However, there's no place within the city limits that you could build a new retro park without spending huge $$$ acquiring the land and bribing city and state officials to permit you to actually build the **** thing. Therefore Fenway Park will outlast both my father(1920-82) and me (1955-).
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        I'm a diehard Red Sox fan (this past week has been a cause for indigestion). Fenway Park needs to go.

However, there's no place within the city limits that you could build a new retro park without spending huge $$$ acquiring the land and bribing city and state officials to permit you to actually build the **** thing. Therefore Fenway Park will outlast both my father(1920-82) and me (1955-).
                        I refuse to even go to a game anymore. The last game I went to was rained out, but not not until they kept us in the stadium buying hot chocolate and/or beers until 9:30 (it was early October). I've been to a few concerts there (Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam in 2016 and Pearl Jam in 2018 with the bands in the outfield and utilizing the whole stadium for seating; the Dropkick Murphys and Mighty Mighty Bosstones played a concert in 2013 there where they played toward the bleachers only) and the seats are even crappy for that. While the view for a concert is better than a view for a game since a ton of the seats actually face the outfield, the seats are still uncomfortable. My hubs can't even sit since his legs are too long to fit in the grandstand area seats and his hips dig into the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

The new Yankee Stadium was north of $2.3 billion. Replacing Fenway might touch $5 bil. Wrigley might go north of $4 bil to replace as well.

God, that was fun...

Comment

The new Yankee Stadium was north of $2.3 billion. Replacing Fenway might touch $5 bil. Wrigley might go north of $4 bil to replace as well.
                            Wrigley has Ricketts paying $575 million for the renovations. I haven't been, but it SHOULD bring the building up to par with what is offered elsewhere as far as amenities. How that plays out in 10-15 years, who knows?
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Replacing Fenway might touch $5 bil.
                              And it will take 87 years to finish the job.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                And it will take 87 years to finish the job.
                                And they'd overrun on federal aid by at least 20:1. And then whine about it.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X